PDA

View Full Version : Mississippi floods

poodlesrule
May 17th, 2011, 01:18 PM
The way I see the map, engineered channels of flood waters will pass just between Baton Rouge (east) and Lafayette (west), two towns with an active musical life.not sure on timing.

I hope "Creole Country", home of our dear Cajun and Zydeco friends will do Ok through that.

Calling NBasser for details.
Et toi

Tig
May 17th, 2011, 01:34 PM
Cajuns tend to have webbed toes and high tide marks at their knees. Day'll be alright!

mrmudcat
May 18th, 2011, 12:29 AM
Poodle thank you for the thread.:AOK

Creoles came first but Cajuns made it spicier!!!:socool

http://landrystuff.com/creole

http://landrystuff.com/cuisine

Cajuns will survive as will the Creoles. Cajuns will do it without sticking their hand out!!:sarcasm The decision to sacrifice one for the other should of never had to be made.:poke Man versus mother nature is a no win situation for man.Mother nature is Queen!!!:bootyshake

I love N'awlings but building a city below sea level results in a fish bowl:thwap:notme

I am tore up over all this as I have friends/family in both Loisianna country and New Orleans so I hope my words are not to harsh.:spank

I consider myself a cultural cajun,I am a swamp/river decent(Irish swamp/river rat) from Florida panhandle as well as Cherokee and cant speak a lick of french. I can play some mean swamp ,country ghetto slide guitar and have a big mouth at times!!!:what

deeaa
May 18th, 2011, 04:31 AM
The only thing I know in French is 'Je parle pas francais' :-)

...and French kissin' of course...

mrmudcat
May 18th, 2011, 06:28 AM
Touche "D".......:rollover I know a little about french kissing myself.:french I know not to french kiss after eating french toast without stopping in "da lew " first for some crest and scope!!! Wife taught me that though!!!:socool

Beerman
May 18th, 2011, 06:45 AM
I can tell you that those of us in New Orleans (I'm in the burbs) and Baton Rouge are very thankful for the sacrifice of those in the way of the water going from the river to the Gulf.
The Morganza spillway north of Baton Rouge, was built after the 1927 great flood. So, those who farm and live right near it are losing the most though, in all honesty, no one should have been allowed to live there. However, it has to make it's way from north of Baton Rouge to the Gulf of Mexico and there are a number of small towns, mostly poor farming folk, who live along the way (see map of projected flooding (http://www.wwltv.com/news/lafourche-terrebonne/Corps-releases-maps-projecting-flooding-if-Morganza-Spillway-opens-121442149.html)). But, while still bad news for most, the last 2 days have brought reports of reduced amounts of flooding in most areas. Hey, what's the difference between 8 feet and 10 feet if your house is still a goner?

As for the leaving below sea level comment (no harm was taken), there are very few places in the US where you don't have some evil to live with......wildfires, quakes, floods (more of which happen at higher elevations than below sea level), blizzards, tornadoes.....you name it. Not to brag but the stuff that comes up the river, with almost 80% that passes thru New Orleans, moves grain and fuel to 44 different states. Let the River of Miss close for a few days and watch the price of everything go up. I'm not just being biased but history has shown, the US needs the New Orleans river delta area so you best hope it stays healthy and performing up to task. That's another thing we do take seriously here and know it's our bread and butter along with tourism.

Tig
May 18th, 2011, 07:23 AM
To paraphrase John Goodman in HBO's "Treme",
"New Orleans has more coulture in one neighborhood than most entire cities."
I'd love to visit again.

The USGS shows NO's elevation to be between -6' to +20', but throw a big flood or hurricane at it and the surge changes these number's meaning.

mrmudcat
May 18th, 2011, 08:10 AM
I respect your opinions brothers.My best friend lives in New Orleans he is an artist and tattoo genius who works at Electric Ladyland. I thought he had died after Katrina and so did his parents after not hearing from him in a month.One thing he said the other night on the phone was maybe this is mother nature trying to correct things after the oil spill.Maybe some good like flushing out the oil that has invaded will come outta this disaster.On the flip side it will wipe out oyster beds and harm fishing I believe maybe more than Katrina and B.P. combined.The dirty polluted water pouring into the Gulf is also sad.As for being allowed to live there ,can one really say that definitely.You (Beerman) stated about the evils of the places man decides to inhabit. It's freedom of choice brother that makes America great. The black belt is so fertile for farming and the natural progression for man to build next to thriving rivers goes back along ways. Mankind wanting to change wetlands to suit their needs is our biggest flaw.We also tried to drain the Everglades!!! The spillways and levee's took away fish migration ,the good black soot that dumped into the river deltas that caused substituting non organic fertilizers being used on farms etc.etc.On the flip side it provided farming that wasn't wiped out every year from flooding. Food prices are going to go up and I know big oil will speculate and cause fear mongering to keep the prices high. My biggest peeve is after Katrina why haven't the levee's and dams around New Orleans improved considering risk to refineries and natural gas .Why hasn't B.P. fixed their disaster as promised. Why can't we figure a way to divert flood waters to drought areas 30 miles east and west of the black belt.
I feel for all our Louisiana brethren and hope my opinion does not offend anyone!! I know the feeling of insiders not wanting outsiders(you'ins and we'ins:rollover) to butt in so I am trying to keep my big mouth closed but this effects all Americans IMHO:socool

I will state this again,my post is my view and or opinion if it offends anyone I will delete.I asked for my own thread deletion dealing with this topic after a bad post and won't hesitate to delete my posts here if need be.I am glad to have this place where most of the fretter family can have spirited debate and handle it without personal attacks!!!:AOK

Beerman
May 18th, 2011, 03:15 PM
I'm not offended at all. I'm glad to hear there are others not yet tired of the crap the people in the Gulf Coast have gone thru. Hurricanes, BP, Tornadoes and floods. The strange thing is that we run away but always come back.
Forgot to mention that I pay about $500 a year for flood insurance. I don't have to buy it as I'm in a decent area but I have a friend in San Antonio and he pays over $700. And, I'm insured for a higher amount. It doesn't always make sense but I can say that I recently read that less than 20% of the US homeowners actually buy flood insurance.

Tig
May 18th, 2011, 03:44 PM
Yep, all the fecal, chemical, trash, and other contaminants are just our crap we thought were "thrown away", coming back to haunt us. :puke:

Wow, I just sent my annual flood insurance check for $343, and I live 26 miles from the coast, about 23' above sea level. $200,000 for building, $80,000 contents. Your SA buddy must be close to a flood prone area? Maybe his house is worth a bunch more than mine! :AOK

Spudman
May 18th, 2011, 05:23 PM
I sure am glad that when I lived in Gretna and Metairie I didn't experience any traumatic events like the floods. I did step on a frog while barefoot once. Probably doesn't compare, eh.

I rode past our small local river today and noticed that at the outside of town it's flooded too. Nothing will be damaged by it though.

NWBasser
May 18th, 2011, 05:58 PM
The way I see the map, engineered channels of flood waters will pass just between Baton Rouge (east) and Lafayette (west), two towns with an active musical life.not sure on timing.

I hope "Creole Country", home of our dear Cajun and Zydeco friends will do Ok through that.

Calling NBasser for details.
Et toi

Me??

I don't have a lot of details really. Nothing more than what you'd read in the news.

However, I did read Control of Nature by John McPhee which discusses the Miss. River system.

He artfully details the immense amount of infrastructure work (New River Control Structure) done by the Corp. of Engineers to prevent the lower Miss. from taking the short cut to the Atchafalaya River and the Gulf. Billions have been spent to keep the Mississippi flowing through N.O. even though the river bed has aggraded above the surrounding landscape. The New River/Atchafalaya would shortcut approximately 300 miles and I think around 50 to 100 feet (can't remember specifically) of elevation if the Miss. went that way. If those floodgates were to fail, there's no way to ever restore the course down through NO. It would leave NO and Baton Rouge high and semi-dry. At least for shipping. The economic impacts would be absolutely devastating to the country.

If global climate change leads to more severe weather in the drainage basin, then a tremendous flood could possibly overwhelm the New River control structures...

Well, what's happening now is bad, but still much better than what could happen.

NWBasser
May 18th, 2011, 06:00 PM
Yep, all the fecal, chemical, trash, and other contaminants are just our crap we thought were "thrown away", coming back to haunt us. :puke:

Wow, I just sent my annual flood insurance check for $343, and I live 26 miles from the coast, about 23' above sea level. $200,000 for building, $80,000 contents. Your SA buddy must be close to a flood prone area? Maybe his house is worth a bunch more than mine! :AOK

I live on top of a hill at about 350'. No flood worries, but I do have earthquake insurance.

I think most geologists around here do.

Beerman
May 18th, 2011, 06:24 PM

I have the max, $250.000 for property and $100K for contents....I live in a 2 story.
I think the problem with San Antonio is flash floods since they are rocky and there's no where for the water to go. Just downhill.