PDA

View Full Version : My very first demo tracks - finally!

tremoloman
November 20th, 2006, 12:49 AM
Hello everyone!

These are the first 3 demo tracks that I've ever recorded in my life, so please accept my apologies if they sound rough. Many of you produce such high quality clips that I believe you should own your own recordign studios!

All 3 tracks are just covers we're using in our band Attention Deficit Disorder to get better gigs. We'll record some of the more musically challenging material and original stuff at a later date, but I'd love to hear your comments (both good and bad) on these ones so we can learn from our rookie mistakes and produce better sounding tracks in the future. All of these are all 1-take recordings since none of us have figured out how to edit and merge tracks using my recorder just yet. The Boss BR-1600 is a monster - I have to praise our bass player for taking the time to get these done alone - Paul - you are my hero!

I can take constructive critism, so don't hesitate to tell me if you feel they aren't up to par - I prefer brutal and direct honesty rather than a phony "that's good". :)

Ok, please let me hear your thoughts on these!

She Sells Sanctuary (The Cult) (http://www.box.net/public/s6ie40nrqj)

Talk Dirty To Me (Poison) (http://www.box.net/public/3u0214akht)

Note: This song has a few timing and overdub issues, but I'm hoping to convince the guys to let me re-record the rhythm track to make it sound more professional and up to snuff. :P

Vertigo (U2) (http://www.box.net/public/3h50zklxe2)

I also tried to come up with something that was cool but basic so we could print up some stickers and stuff and keep the cost low using black & white. It's not perfect and not a final draft, but a loose idea for now.

Yea or Nea?

-Trem

SuperSwede
November 20th, 2006, 01:07 AM
"The file you are looking for is currently in transition between servers.
If this message still appears in 10 minutes, please email support@box.net"

I cant download the songs, I´ll check them out later!

*edit*

I dont think that the audio quality was bad, I have bought a lot of bootleg records with worse quality. The guitar and voice sounds nice and clear.

I like your versions of all the three songs, but the guitar intro on "she sells sanctuary" would have been more true to the original if you had added the open D-string just like Billy does. I dont say that it was bad, just that it will sound better that way.

So I say "Yea!"

kerc
November 20th, 2006, 05:46 AM
I listened to Vertigo....Pretty cool! Makes me wish I was in a band. :)

tremoloman
November 20th, 2006, 05:51 AM
I dont think that the audio quality was bad, I have bought a lot of bootleg records with worse quality. The guitar and voice sounds nice and clear.

I like your versions of all the three songs, but the guitar intro on "she sells sanctuary" would have been more true to the original if you had added the open D-string just like Billy does. I dont say that it was bad, just that it will sound better that way.

Thanks for the comments SS! I intentionally did not do it exactly like The Cult as I like to put my own spin on things.

Spudman
November 20th, 2006, 07:46 AM
Trem
On Talk Dirty try EQing the guitar. Drop all frequencies below 70hz and you can probably get rid of the hum and noise.

Justaguyin_nc
November 20th, 2006, 08:09 AM
I prefer brutal and direct honesty rather than a phony "that's good". :)

Brutal and honest? really? and no phony "That's good"?

Well..ok then.. That's Good!! Honestly! As a cover band, I pictured sitting in a joint listening to you guys with a few beers.. and I would be applauding after each song.. I thought the playing was very good.. Something about the singing.. maybe some voice reverb? anotherwords.. other than polished for production I would enjoy a nite out listening to Attention Deficit Disorder and would probably come back!

tot_Ou_tard
November 20th, 2006, 08:33 AM
Trem,

I liked your stuff. I'll leave it to the experts to give you the advice you asked for, but I do think you should spell your band's name

Attention Deficit Dis..O..look some candy!

Tone2TheBone
November 20th, 2006, 08:51 AM
Hey Trem, email me the tracks (filter at work).

aeolian
November 20th, 2006, 11:17 AM
Impressive recording job for 1 take recordings. I thought your band sounds tight for the most part and my comments to follow are just nits.

To me "She Sells Sanctuary" comes through the best. The bass can be mixed with a little bit more volume. Is there a rhythm guitar? I think I hear an acoustic here and there, but if it is it can be bring up a bit too.

"Talk Dirty To Me" sounded good, may be just lacking a little power.

"Vertigo" sounded a little thin compared to the original (but who wouldn't). The sound can be filled out a bit more, but I don't have any ideas for you how to do it.

Although you record all in one take, is each instrument recorded to a different track? If you can do that, obviously you can do a lot more with the mix.

You're got a good band. The little nits do not show up in live performances; I'm sure you are a hit at the clubs. Good stuff, I'm impressed.

aeolian

Lev
November 20th, 2006, 11:41 AM
Great Job! I loved Vertigo, bear in mind that the Edge has been known to record dozens of guitar tracks for each song and mix them together to create those 'full' sounding riffs - so for one guitar track that was pretty close.

tremoloman
November 20th, 2006, 10:29 PM
I want you all to know how much I appreciate your feedback.

I respect each and every one of you immensely as this is the greatest collections of REAL musicians to be found anywhere on the net that I’ve come across. The daily encouragement, instruction, and advice I find here here is astounding. I'd just like to say “thank you” for inspiring me on a daily basis to constantly improve my musical skills and abilities. You guys truly are the best.

As for our band, we're newbies to this recording stuff and I know it'll get better the more we record. I'm very anxious for you all to hear how we "remake" songs to make them our own and to record some original material that I'm really proud of.

Recording is hard work but the reward is well worth it!
Keep the comments coming! :)

jpfeifer
November 20th, 2006, 10:47 PM
Tremoloman,

The songs sound great. The performances are very solid which is the main thing people will hear when they listen to your tracks. I didn't hear any glaring problems with the recordings, as a matter of fact they sounded pretty good to me. I thought that the guitar tones were especially nice. The only thing that I noticed is that the lead vocals seemed to be coming more from the left channel in the mix. I don't know if this was intentional or not. It didn't sound bad in this way just that it was comming in stronger on one side. The recordings sound good as-is, especially if you're using these as demos for your band. They only sugesstions that I would have would be to layer some more parts to fatten up the sounds a little. Try overdubbing your guitar parts (playing the exact same part) and pan both tracks left and right. This will give you a really big sounding guitar sound. It works great for chunky rhythm parts that you want to stand out a little in the mix. The other thing that you can do to give your tracks a little more feel is to add an acoustic guitar (strumming) the same changes that you're playing on the electric. It seems to add a lot of feel to the song without sticking out too much.

-- Jim

sunvalleylaw
November 20th, 2006, 10:55 PM
I want you all to know how much I appreciate your feedback.

I respect each and every one of you immensely as this is the greatest collections of REAL musicians to be found anywhere on the net that I’ve come across. The daily encouragement, instruction, and advice I find here here is astounding. I'd just like to say “thank you” for inspiring me on a daily basis to constantly improve my musical skills and abilities. You guys truly are the best.

As for our band, we're newbies to this recording stuff and I know it'll get better the more we record. I'm very anxious for you all to hear how we "remake" songs to make them our own and to record some original material that I'm really proud of.

Recording is hard work but the reward is well worth it!
Keep the comments coming! :)

Man, I really enjoyed your stuff. I particularly liked Vertigo. I have been a U2 fan for years and Vertigo and Gloria, the red rocks version, are my two favorite ski tunes of all time. When I hear U2 covers, I look for the energy of it, which to me is the best part of U2. You nailed that. I don't have anything technical to say and would offer my comments more as a music lover and listener. Keep up the hard work.

Steve

duhvoodooman
November 21st, 2006, 05:52 AM
Well, 'bout freakin' time! ;) :D

Seriously, Trem, I thought you guys sounded great, and the recording quality was just fine. Especially enjoyed Vertigo. Keep rockin' there, friend!! :DR

Tone2TheBone
November 21st, 2006, 09:18 AM
I wanna hear!!! :(

Did I mention dial up at home blows?

sunvalleylaw
November 21st, 2006, 09:39 AM

Oh dude, that sucks.

SuperSwede
November 21st, 2006, 11:07 AM

Dial up? ouch.. thats not a fun thing to use.. That must be the downside of living a little remote. Perhaps you could hook up the Jiron Mansion via satellite?

Hogfullofblues
November 21st, 2006, 04:00 PM
Man, so many recordings on the fret now I somehow passed this one the first time! Very tight, good tone, it was great! And just one take? I would love to see you guys live.

Robert
November 21st, 2006, 07:47 PM
That was great, Tremoloman! I'd suggest working more on the vocals, they sound a bit distant and some eq'ing and effects might help there. Some background vocals would be nice too, if the songs allow for it.

But dude, your guitar tone is huge! Impressive! I love it. How'd you record your guitar?

The playing by the band overall is just great. Tight band. I'd love to see you guys live (and jump in and jam on a song or two!) :)

stingx
November 22nd, 2006, 08:41 AM
Trem, I just checked out your cover of She Sells Sanctuary. The Cult remains one of my all time favorite bands and I am a huge fan of Billy Duffy's playing. Great overall performance. The guitar playing was pretty spot on, playing and tonewise. I dug the singing on this as well. I'm saving this. http://members.shaw.ca/wenpigsfly/smileys/thumb.gif

zeusse
November 22nd, 2006, 10:33 AM
Not a fan of critiquing someone because everyone has their own way of doing covers. But since your asking and some of what has already been mentioned is really the same stuff I would mention.

Sanctuary: The last time I can remember covering this one live I went to an open D tuning darn if I can remember how I did it again but that was because we had three songs with open D tunings so we just hit them in a row and I just transposed this one...I'd add a tad more delay not much but a little more and dub at least one more track for the guitar and pan them out about 40%L and 60%R

Talk Dirty: Tone was right for the tune and solo was pretty good but the same as above but live if your the only guitarist you might want to consider a stereo application...this will depend on your equipment though

Vetigo: Yes Lev is right the edge really mashes the clips when recording but what he does is set each one a little off time with the other..kinda hard to explain but picture a newspaper not all the edges match up and yes he uses a lot of delay but on each track sets the delay off time...and he definately is stereo live

Hope that helps but the tunes were good dude I enjoyed them and the singer sounds fantastic:DR

oldguy
November 23rd, 2006, 02:16 PM
Trem,
OK, here's some brutal and direct honesty, not a phony that's good.
You guys sounded better on that than most (8 out of 10) bands that play around here. It's better than anything I've posted on here, so I can't critique you much...well, maybe a little.
Soundwise I think has been pretty well covered.
I think next time you should try a different color guitar!:DR
(Sorry, couldn't help myself).
Glenn

tremoloman
November 23rd, 2006, 06:15 PM
That was great, Tremoloman! I'd suggest working more on the vocals, they sound a bit distant and some eq'ing and effects might help there. Some background vocals would be nice too, if the songs allow for it.

But dude, your guitar tone is huge! Impressive! I love it. How'd you record your guitar?

The playing by the band overall is just great. Tight band. I'd love to see you guys live (and jump in and jam on a song or two!) :)Thanks Robert! Like I said, we're totally new to this so I know it's gonna sound like rookies recorded it since we are virgins at this type of thing. I'd love to improve the tone and overall sound. I think the U2 and Cult songs are tight, but I'm really annoyed by the way the Poison rhythm guitar sounds. I'm sickened by it to be honest. I'm hoping to redo this ASAP.

When we go to record our next tracks, we're going to take everybody's advice and apply it to the next recordings we do.

BTW: We'd love for anybody to come up on stage to jam with us! We invite someone at every gig to do a song or two with us whether we know them or not for the most part. Just don't blow me away man! :)

tremoloman
November 23rd, 2006, 06:20 PM
Guys... thanks for all your input. I'd like to reply to each email but I'd fill have the forum up! I appreciate your advice and comments SO much! I'm so happy to know I'm part of a great community of musicians here. :)

I've got a BOSS BR-1600 CD for a recorder, so if anyone has any knowledge of this thing I'm open to any suggestions to improve recording.

I bought the DVD that teaches you how to use the unit, but with work, the woman, and the kids it's so hard to make time to work on learning it. I'm making an oath to learn how to use this thing better by the years end. I've got so much I want to record yet don't have a clue what I'm doing. :P

Again, THANK YOU EVERYONE!!! And Happy Thanksgiving!!! (sorry I'm late for my Canadien friends) :)