PDA

View Full Version : Surf Settings for Peavey Vypyr 15

Viking Power
May 18th, 2011, 03:55 PM
Hi All,

I have a Peavey Vypyr 15 that I am trying to emulate a surf guitar sound with. Guitar is a MIM Fender Fat Strat. I've bumped reverb all the way up. Not sure what else to do. Oh yeah, I'm playing on the neck single coil. Should I be?

Thanks!

sunvalleylaw
May 18th, 2011, 09:58 PM
Set it to the emulation of one of the Fender amphs like maybe the Twin, and play with the EQ is all I can think of. Maybe go to Peavey's site. I think they have some info there or maybe even a user forum.

Viking Power
May 19th, 2011, 10:11 PM
Set it to the emulation of one of the Fender amphs like maybe the Twin, and play with the EQ is all I can think of. Maybe go to Peavey's site. I think they have some info there or maybe even a user forum.

Thanks for the advice! That does help a little. I have gone to Peavey's site and have not had much luck finding the settings I'm looking for. Guess I'll keep searching.

Katastrophe
May 20th, 2011, 03:17 AM
You can, but I would recommend using the bridge/middle combo. If your Strat is newer than 2006, it will split the coils of the bridge humbucker. You'll get twangier, surfier sounds that way.

Nothing says that you can't experiment, though... try 'em all!

Viking Power
May 22nd, 2011, 03:50 PM
You can, but I would recommend using the bridge/middle combo. If your Strat is newer than 2006, it will split the coils of the bridge humbucker. You'll get twangier, surfier sounds that way.

Nothing says that you can't experiment, though... try 'em all!

It's a 2009 model. Are you suggesting using the humbucker for surf?

Katastrophe
May 22nd, 2011, 04:08 PM
Typically, a Jazzmaster or traditional Strat with single coils in the bridge work best for surf, IMO... Since your Strat has a bridge humbucker, I'd use position 2 on the selector for a split bridge / middle pickup combo. It should get you pretty close to the tone you're looking for.

Duffy
May 22nd, 2011, 08:17 PM
Search for and get a reverb pedal designed especially for surf guitar sounds. There are a few out there specifically for this purpose. The Fender '63 Reverb pedal, I think, is supposed to emulate the outboard tube reverb unit that Fender still makes I believe. Surf reverb is another "holy grail" type sound that people spend a lot of time and money trying to capture. I wouldn't expect to find it in an inexpensive general purpose multi tasking amp, without using outboard effects. Search for Surf guitar reverb and they will return you a few specific pedals and reverb units that are considered to be good in obtaining this sound; some much more costly than others.

jim p
May 28th, 2011, 04:18 AM
If the sound you are looking for was done in the past with a stand alone reverb like the Fender 6G15 http://www.kbapps.com/audio/schematics/tubeamps/fender/reverb6g15.html the reverb in the amp will probably come up short. With the stand alone you can dial the output to being all reverb no dry signal. The mix in the amp will usually be approx 50% dry 50% reverb at the maximum due to in some cases feedback problems if the reverb signal is taken too high. So as Duffy stated in that case a pedal or possibly modification of the amp would be what you need to get the tone you want.