PDA

View Full Version : UFO WALTER Bass Solo

The Fender Bender
May 21st, 2011, 06:19 AM
If you haven't seen this guy before check this video out, pretty hot bit of bass I reckon,
Ufo play's with Randy Hansen, Buddy Miles, Santana etc.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRsmuT0N288

marnold
May 21st, 2011, 08:11 AM
Except it doesn't sound like a bass solo. He's clearly talented, certainly many orders of magnitude greater than I, but I wonder why you'd want to make the bass sound like a guitar. When I think of bass solos, I tend to think of this:

CslkVhOoE2U

NWBasser
May 21st, 2011, 09:48 AM
What's he using? Some sort of up-octave device?

I agree with Marnold that it's actually a guitar solo piece.

I guess I more appreciate the rhythmic aspects of the bass. Especially in solos.

NWBasser
May 21st, 2011, 09:53 AM
Except it doesn't sound like a bass solo. He's clearly talented, certainly many orders of magnitude greater than I, but I wonder why you'd want to make the bass sound like a guitar. When I think of bass solos, I tend to think of this:

CslkVhOoE2U

Awesome!

Thanks Marnold!

It seems that most great bass players have that bouncing knee.

The Fender Bender
May 21st, 2011, 04:52 PM
Hey marnold, I'm not a bass player mate but yes I get your drift does sound more like a lead solo, but still pretty horn playing.
Louis Johnson is a very talented bass man too.
Good to see some bass playing videos on the FretNet.
Cheers.

marnold
May 21st, 2011, 05:27 PM
Hey marnold, I'm not a bass player mate but yes I get your drift does sound more like a lead solo, but still pretty horn playing.
Louis Johnson is a very talented bass man too.
Good to see some bass playing videos on the FretNet.

Got that right. I do find it interesting when people try to expand the boundaries of what you expect from an instrument. Took me a little while to wrap my head around the fact that the guitar-like noises were what he was playing on his bass.