PDA

View Full Version : Roller bridge for an Epiphone Riviera Custom P93

Hedgehog
May 24th, 2011, 04:08 PM
I'm new here and I confess not to be much of a guitar player, but there is little I like doing more than working on my guitars .... and other stuff, I also confess to being a Bluegrass Banjo player so working on my instrument is second nature, but this is a guitar question.

Just recently an Epiphone Riviera Custom P93 came into my possession, this guitar has three P90 and a Bigsby trem. Oddly enough it doesn't come stock with a roller bridge. I've read that it has a "rocker" bridge so a roller bridge isn't necessary, non-the-less I'd like to add a roller to the guitar for stability.

Normally this wouldn't be a problem, After adding a Bigsby to my Ibanez AF75 it was easy enough to add a roller bridge to the existing floating bridge base of the Ibanez. It seemed like it would be just as easy to add one to the Riviera. Now I'm not so sure. The Riviera has very small posts. For some reason it seems logical to install beefier posts under the bridge. Most new bridges come with gromets and much thicker adjustment posts for the bridge. Here's my question, is it difficult to remove the origional post gromets in the guitar body to retrofit the new bridge gromets?

MJM

otaypanky
May 24th, 2011, 09:02 PM
I'm not sure exactly what parts you want to know about being removable. But I have a Gibson Johnny A with a Bigsby. The stock bridge on that has two thin threaded posts that mount in to the body. They are not the thicker threaded mount that screw in to metal threaded bases. I ordered a Schaller roller bridge from Stew Mac and it didn't fit. It was not wide enough. And the top of the bridge was solid, the holes didn't go all the way through. I sent it back and tried another less expensive one. That wouldn't fit either. Although I measured the distance between the bridge posts and it seemed close enough. it was probably 1/16" or 1/32" wider than the roller bridges.
You might try calling Stew Mac and asking what might fit your Epi
I know a fellow who works in the Gibson Custom Shop and he said something very similar about a rocker bridge. He explained that the thumbwheels are actually peaked on the top side and not flat. That is supposed to allow the bridge to rock when you use the Bigsby

Hedgehog
May 24th, 2011, 09:42 PM
That answer actually helped. I could not see exactly how the bridge was a rocker. Now it all makes more sence. I have no real idea about the physics of this, is it better to have the small thumb wheel posts rather than the thicker ones on my Ibanez or on the replacement bridges. While researching Mandolin bridges it came to light that the thinner thumb wheel posts were considered to be better. ...But my mandolin is an acoustic and the Riviera is an electric. So, are the rules for an acoustic different?

otaypanky
May 25th, 2011, 06:39 AM
It might help to post a photo ~

Hedgehog
May 25th, 2011, 09:51 PM
Well,heres a picture:

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u250/Predator-Master/IMG_0003.jpg

Hedgehog
May 26th, 2011, 09:54 AM
I tried to post a picture, why a picture of a guitar didn't make it through the moderator is beyond me,

Hedgehog
June 11th, 2011, 10:28 PM
I have become more comfortable with the factory configuration of the bridge. Thankyou for your advice and guidance. The Riviera is quite a guitar considering the modest price.

Tig
June 11th, 2011, 10:47 PM
I tried to post a picture, why a picture of a guitar didn't make it through the moderator is beyond me,

I can see the picture of your guitar. It's a beauty!

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u250/Predator-Master/IMG_0003.jpg

Hedgehog
June 12th, 2011, 02:25 PM
Yeah, evidently pictures won't show, not even the link, until it has been approved by the moderator. Mine took several days to show up. I understand the need to wash this sort of thing through a moderator.