PDA

View Full Version : Lynyrd Skynyrd & ZZ Top - Albany NY, 5/21/11

duhvoodooman
May 25th, 2011, 01:21 PM
Saw these two classic acts at the Times Union Center in downtown Albany last Saturday night. I'd never seen either of these two bands play live, so was really looking forward to it.

While I wasn't blown away by any means, both bands delivered what I went to see, namely good performances of their many hits. The Skynyrd sound mix wasn't great--too muddy and lack of clear definition between the instruments, but the performances were solid and the energy level was excellent. The band certainly didn't "mail it in." Ricky Medlocke is a better guitar player than I realized, but it was the "new guy" 3rd guitarist, Mark "Sparky" Matejka, who impressed me the most. He played all the Ed King Strat parts in the older material--basically what Hughie Thomasson did during his time with the band. He also played a really gorgeous PRS on the "Free Bird" encore, doing a great job on the dual-guitar stuff with Medlocke.

ZZ Top gave a much more laid back performance, consistent with their style, but just as enjoyable. Not surprisingly, the sound quality was much better with only the three instruments competing. They played almost all of their best-known stuff, building up to the "La Grange/Tush" encore. Billy Gibbons can still really bring it when he wants to, and I love his mastery of pinch harmonics. He played one of his Gretsch BillyBo model guitars most of the night, though the Pearly Gates '59 Les Paul showed up for "Just Got Paid", and the white fuzzy guitars came out for one number--"Legs", IIRC. Overall, a very satisfying performance.

Set lists--

Skynyrd

Working For MCA
I Ain't The One
Skynyrd Nation
What's Your Name
Down South Junkin'
That Smell
T For Texas
Simple Man
Gimme Back My Bullets
Gimme Three Steps
Sweet Home Alabama

Encore:
Freebird

ZZ Top

Got Me Under Pressure
Waitin' for the Bus
Jesus Just Left Chicago
I'm Bad, I'm Nationwide
Future Blues
Cheap Sunglasses
I Need You Tonight
Party on the Patio
Just Got Paid
Gimme All Your Lovin'
Sharp Dressed Man
Legs

Encore:
La Grange
Tush

mrmudcat
May 25th, 2011, 09:22 PM
This is one of those concert bills that would of kicked arse in the 70's:rollover

Glad you enjoyed it though brother:thumbsupGibbons is a rock God and one of my favorites:rockya

On a side note both bands have Duane connections.Of course Billy found that special 58 tobaccoburst paula for D.A.
Freebird was dedicated in honor of Duane shortly after Duane's passing .Some think it was written after Allmans death to tribute him but that is wrong.The song was written well before that fateful day after one of the bands girlfriends (collins) asking a question 'If I leave here tommorow would you still remember me".Those little bird sounds at the end of the song I dare say were copied from my brother D.A.:socool Freebird also was the only song Rossington used a gibby s.g. on of course with a coricidin bottle after his fallen guitar idle,Duane.

piebaldpython
May 25th, 2011, 10:27 PM
Glad you had a good time at the concert and that neither band mailed it in. The Rev is one of my heroes.

duhvoodooman
May 26th, 2011, 08:34 AM
Freebird also was the only song Rossington used a gibby s.g. on of course with a coricidin bottle after his fallen guitar idle,Duane.And that's exactly how he played it Sat. night. After using a couple of LP's all night long, the red SG came out for Freebird.