PDA

View Full Version : Clarence Gatemouth Brown

Tone2TheBone
November 20th, 2006, 10:20 AM
Now this is "my kind" of "jazz".... :)

http://youtube.com/watch?v=uuOVOp9l4B4

He smoked. Killer player....he is missed.

SuperSwede
November 20th, 2006, 10:41 AM
FIREBIRD!!!!

That was fantastic! I have never seen this dude before, but what a performance.. and what a winning smile, you gotta love that set of teeth!
And tuning the guitar while playing? Amazing stuff.

Btw, minihumbuckers on a firebird = insanely great!

Tone2TheBone
November 20th, 2006, 10:51 AM
FIREBIRD!!!!

That was fantastic! I have never seen this dude before, but what a performance.. and what a winning smile, you gotta love that set of teeth!
And tuning the guitar while playing? Amazing stuff.

Btw, minihumbuckers on a firebird = insanely great!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clarence_Gatemouth_Brown

read up on this inspiring legend. I remember the first time I ever saw him play on TV...I was stunned. This was back when I started playing guitar at 13.

I agree with your take on minibuckers on firebirds. Tone that slays. I love David Hidalgo's tone on the Crossroads Festival DVD too.

SuperSwede
November 20th, 2006, 11:40 AM
I agree with your take on minibuckers on firebirds. Tone that slays. I love David Hidalgo's tone on the Crossroads Festival DVD too.

I have always loved the sound Allen Collins got with his Firebird on early Lynyrd Skynyrd albums. And Johnny Winter makes it sound sweet too.

Spudman
November 20th, 2006, 11:53 AM
This is great! I didn't get to see him but I was really close. He was playing across the courtyard at the club I used to engineer at. We were setting up for some other work at 2 am and could hear the club rocking hard while he was playing. I wanted to go over so badly but couldn't.
Thanks for posting.

Robert
November 20th, 2006, 01:33 PM
I read an interview with him last year. He said he was battling cancer, and he was determined to not let it take him.

Very good player. He was very open-minded to music and as a guitar player, he was not a one trick pony.

Iago
November 20th, 2006, 10:58 PM
geezus whats that??? amazing amazing!!

(by the way, the allen collins firebird had a p-90 at the bridge 8^) )

SuperSwede
November 21st, 2006, 04:33 AM
(by the way, the allen collins firebird had a p-90 at the bridge 8^) )

Did he? Well I like P90´s too ;)
I have the "One more for the road" lyrics and score book here, and he seems to have a standard mini-hb on those pictures at least.

Iago
November 21st, 2006, 09:32 PM
it was 50% p-90 and 50% mini humbucker.. though in the really beggining of Skynyrd he had both mini-humbs. I dont know which songs he recorded (if he ever did) with that configuration.

I already added 2 videos (pressure cooker and song for renee) of Clarence Gatemouth to my favorites on youtube... how could I never heard this guy before??

Robert
November 22nd, 2006, 08:09 AM
I already added 2 videos (pressure cooker and song for renee) of Clarence Gatemouth to my favorites on youtube... how could I never heard this guy before??

Ahh, the beauty of our friendly forum! :DR

Tone2TheBone
November 22nd, 2006, 09:44 AM
.....I already added 2 videos (pressure cooker and song for renee) of Clarence Gatemouth to my favorites on youtube... how could I never heard this guy before??

This is my Thanksgiving Day present to you my friend. You're very welcome glad you like it. LMAO ;)

Lev
November 22nd, 2006, 10:10 AM
Good Lord, Sweep picking with Fingers - cool :cool:

Tone2TheBone
November 22nd, 2006, 10:32 AM
Good Lord, Sweep picking with Fingers - cool :cool:

Agreed. Last night I went home and played without a pick and just used my fingers and fingernail when I wanted it. You get so many different tones with the flesh of your fingers. Maybe this will improve my progress with playing bass with my fingers too. *thumbs up* But yes Clarence was phenomenal.