PDA

View Full Version : Fretboard Radius!

Robert
May 30th, 2011, 04:11 PM
What's your choice?

Tibernius
May 30th, 2011, 05:06 PM
Compound 12-16 (just to be awkward). ;)

Nah, I really prefer 16" radius fretboards. I find them easier to play lead parts on.

Katastrophe
May 30th, 2011, 05:17 PM
After years of playing flatter radius fretboards on my shredders, I've found the 9.5" radius on my MIM strat to be the most comfortable compromise for chording and lead playing.

That said, the profile on the back of the neck helps, too. I've come to like chunky necks, and the greater depth on a thicker neck helps with chording and lead playing as well.

sunvalleylaw
May 30th, 2011, 05:27 PM
After years of playing flatter radius fretboards on my shredders, I've found the 9.5" radius on my MIM strat to be the most comfortable compromise for chording and lead playing.

this pretty much, except I did not spend years playing flatter radii. But I like my Hag Vik's radius too, which is a bit flatter than 9.5. I am not too picky, but don't like uber flat and find those old tele 7.5 types to be a bit much, as opposed to my CV's 9.5.

marnold
May 30th, 2011, 07:55 PM
Compound 12-16 (just to be awkward). ;)

Nah, I really prefer 16" radius fretboards. I find them easier to play lead parts on.

Actually I like the Jackson compound radius a lot. The flatter, the better, IMO. I can play my old 51's 9.5 radius ok, but it's not my favorite. I like the Jackson neck thickness too--thin but not too thin.

MAXIFUNK
May 30th, 2011, 11:24 PM
12 OR 9.5 may be as I improve this will change but for now given a choice I prefer 12 or 9.5.

ZMAN
May 31st, 2011, 06:38 AM
I don't know why but I like the 9.5 on a Fender, including Teles and 12s on a Gibby. I tried a 12 on a Strat and a 15 on a Tele and didn't like the feel.

Tig
May 31st, 2011, 08:03 AM
Anything between 9.5 and 14 works for me. I like having different radius fretboards. Same with scale lengths, pickups, necks, etc.
Variety is the spice of guitar playing.

syo
May 31st, 2011, 08:25 AM
Difficult for me to choose one. It really depends on the combination of neck profile/radius as to how it feels/plays to me.

otaypanky
May 31st, 2011, 07:46 PM
I don't notice a big difference in playing comfort but I like the way flatter boards let you bend. I picked 12" because I tend to play my Gibson's more than anything else. But last week I ordered a Warmoth neck for a Strat and I'm kind of anxious to see it. It's a 10" - 16" compound radius, Fatback profile, stainless steel frets. It's a one piece neck made of Goncalo Alves, a wood I had never heard of until I found it poking around the Warmoth website. It's raw and and doesn't require a finish. Here's how they describe the wood:
Very dense smooth texture with a waxy fast feel. Color is tan with darker chocolate stripes (used by Smith & Wesson for pistol grips). With an articulate, clean, warm tone, Goncalo gets rave reviews for its overall well balanced tone and great looks. Primarily used as a neck wood, it mates well with Pau Ferro or ebony fingerboards.

Eric
June 1st, 2011, 06:56 AM
I've never really noticed fretboard radius, but I think most of my guitars have been around 14" or something. It's probably the sort of thing where once I take the time to investigate the differences, I'll formulate a firm opinion and be unwilling to use anything else. Until then, I'm reasonably happy with anything I'm handed.

kiteman
June 4th, 2011, 09:45 AM
Both of my Carvins have 10" because that's the lowest I can go. Never tried a 7.25 but I'll bet I'll like it. I use a lot of chords but I'm not really a rhythm player. Mostly I use 3 and 4 note chords.