PDA

View Full Version : Singlecut vs. doublecut electrics. Why Singlecut?

sunvalleylaw
June 1st, 2011, 09:44 AM
I was looking at someone's reply discussing a single cut LP style guitar and I got to thinking; what advantage is there at all in the electric world for a single cut guitar? I cannot think of one.

Using traditional LP's as an example, everyone loves them, but I think the double cut versions are cooler. Similarly, I have a tele I really like, but why should it not have a double cut?

Hmm.

Eric
June 1st, 2011, 10:11 AM
Dunno. Guess a lot of it is just that people don't want to start monkeying with the magical recipe, for fear that the end result wouldn't be what they wanted. Also, the whole traditional appeal thing, both in identifiability (is that a word?) and visual appeal.

But on the practical side, I wonder if it's harder to get a stable neck joint on a doublecut with a set-neck. Seems like that could potentially be part of it.

Katastrophe
June 1st, 2011, 11:04 AM
I was looking at someone's reply discussing a single cut LP style guitar and I got to thinking; what advantage is there at all in the electric world for a single cut guitar? I cannot think of one.

Using traditional LP's as an example, everyone loves them, but I think the double cut versions are cooler. Similarly, I have a tele I really like, but why should it not have a double cut?

Hmm.

There isn't, really. Singlecut LPs are subject to the strap slipping off of the upper strap post because of the shape... I dig doublecut LPs, too! But a Telecaster with a double cut just wouldn't be a Tele... It would be closer to a Strat. Leo designed the Strat as an update and improvement on the Tele design, primarily for country players.

I think it's mainly cosmetic... people (like me, lol) tend to associate the tones generated by pickups and wood with the shape of the guitar, "Les Paul tone," "Tele twang," et cetera.

sunvalleylaw
June 1st, 2011, 11:50 AM
I would be interested in a tone test between otherwise equal SC and DC LPs. I find I like the asymmetric DCs more often than symmetrical appearing ones such as SGs. That Les Paul special semihollow that was posted in the 335 thread was sexy. I like the traditional symmetrical styles such as my Hag, and of course the normal 335s, but asymmetrical shapes are just cool looking.

As far as practicality, I am not sure the cutaways on my strat give a huge advantage over the single on my tele, but it is a comfortable shape. I tend to think the cutaways on my Hagstrom do help though, on that larger guitar. I do also wish sometimes my Martin had at least a single cutaway. I play enough electric that my playing style on my acoustic could use a cutaway for those upper frets. I guess it makes me figure out how to recreate the sounds I want in a different spot on the neck though.

marnold
June 1st, 2011, 12:19 PM
My guess would be that a single-cut most mirrors the general shape of a regular acoustic, except with the bottom cut so you can actually reach the highest frets. Leo and Les probably just took a shape they were familiar with, tweaked it, and ran with it.

Also, a single-cut will be much more effective as an oar. Plus it helps add weight which is a critical part of Les Pauls. If you don't have a replacement spine by the time you are 40, you didn't play Les Pauls!

FrankenFretter
June 1st, 2011, 01:42 PM
I think that possibly some of the tone associated with the Les Paul sound is due to the larger mass of wood on the bass side. Seems like that would account for some of it. Then again, I'm no physicist, I just play one on TV.

piebaldpython
June 1st, 2011, 03:18 PM
Interesting topic. In the grand scheme of things....what makes one git sound different from another is PRIMARILY the pups (given they are played through the same amp). Strat pups are wound differently than Tele pups.....which are most certainly different from P90s and humbuckers.

Yes, the rest of the electronics---the wood used----the shape of a git in a hollow or semi-hollow body is just the GRAVY to the MEAT that is the pups.

To wit, there is a damn good reason that Leo pup his Tele pups into a premium swamp ash body....because it's a marriage made in heaven. The swamp ash body perfectly magnifies the Tele pup output.

Tig
June 1st, 2011, 04:07 PM
My guess would be that a single-cut most mirrors the general shape of a regular acoustic, except with the bottom cut so you can actually reach the highest frets. Leo and Les probably just took a shape they were familiar with, tweaked it, and ran with it.

Also, a single-cut will be much more effective as an oar. Plus it helps add weight which is a critical part of Les Pauls. If you don't have a replacement spine by the time you are 40, you didn't play Les Pauls!

We have a winner! :applause
:rollover

msteeln
June 1st, 2011, 05:37 PM
I think that possibly some of the tone associated with the Les Paul sound is due to the larger mass of wood on the bass side.Overall, this is true with all guitars.
For looks tho, it's subjective. To me, a Gretsch Chet Atkins looks better in single cut form, but I love the D cut Duo Jets more than the earlier singles. D cut LPs are really sweet, whereas a Jaguar/Jazzmaster is rather spud-ish, and a Tele/Strat can be nothing but what it is. A bad dream would be a single cut Dano Longhorn...

Spudman
June 1st, 2011, 06:07 PM
It's also an ergonomic thing. The strap buttons on the top are in different places. This will affect how they hang. The double cutaway allows the top horn to be extended thus changing the strap mounting point in relation to the guitars hanging center of gravity.

NWBasser
June 2nd, 2011, 02:53 PM
Odd that my favorite guitar is the Les Paul, but I don't care at all for single-cut basses.

I guess, when it comes to the LP, the weight isn't much more than a lot of basses I've played and upper fret access isn't a big deal to me. I don't go for all those screechy notes anywayz...

Eric
June 2nd, 2011, 03:45 PM
Odd that my favorite guitar is the Les Paul, but I don't care at all for single-cut basses.

I guess, when it comes to the LP, the weight isn't much more than a lot of basses I've played and upper fret access isn't a big deal to me. I don't go for all those screechy notes anywayz...
You know, I think you might have hit the nail on the head. There's no distinct advantage to a single-cut guitar, but for those who like a guitar that happens to be single-cut, who really cares? I feel the same way as you about Les Pauls: it's not like the single cutaway necessarily helps, but I love the guitar anyway so it doesn't really matter to me.