PDA

View Full Version : Not sure what to do

marnold
June 3rd, 2011, 07:18 PM
I think I've got a case of guitar ennui. I'll bet that I haven't played my guitar for a total of two hours over the past two months. On those times I do pick it up, I've forgotten how to play what I had been practicing, which of course just makes me want to put it down again. It's to the point that I have been considering just selling everything and being done with it. The only things that have been keeping me from doing it are the nagging feeling that I'm likely to regret it and the fact that I really don't want to go through the rigmarole to sell it all.

I've found myself visiting here much less than I used to. I feel like an idiot even commenting on most anything when I'm not playing. I've always been a guy who talked about guitars far better than he played them, but this is ridiculous. As much as I like my guitar, right now I have zero desire to play. The stupid thing is that summer is finally here and I have a bit of free time to play now.

I don't know if it's because all the stuff I want to play is far beyond my level of ability. I guess that's what I liked about bass. I could pick up most bass lines pretty quickly (I'm not talking about Rush or Yes stuff here, obviously) and then go on with my life with a sense of accomplishment. I dunno. Maybe this is all nonsense.

The stupid thing is that I still found myself researching EMG bass pickups at lunch. I must be an idiot.

otaypanky
June 3rd, 2011, 07:36 PM
Last friday was a beautiful day here. But where was I? I spent most of the day in the basement where my music studio of sorts is set up. I practiced/played about 6 hours or so. That's really not unusual for me to spend/waste most of a day making noise/music
I say that only to contrast with the fact that there were periods of my life when I was kind of separated from my guitars, due to work schedule, relationships, priorities, whatever. It's only a phase, even if it lasts a few months or years, you'll be back. Sometimes time off clears the head and helps get us out of the ruts we sometimes feel we work ourselves into. Fear not Marnold, Fretter since 2005, that should tell you something

sunvalleylaw
June 3rd, 2011, 09:00 PM
Hmm, pick it up when you want, but then enjoy your playing for what it is then, at that moment. Then one foot in front of the other. No expectations, just enjoying it for what it is now, a pleasant hobby. You have that nagging feeling that you might regret a sale for a reason. You will come back to a greater interest in it when you are ready. It is a hobby after all, for you and for a lot of us. I always have to remind myself of that. Otherwise I can drive the fun out of it.

Eric
June 3rd, 2011, 09:00 PM
I can understand your boredom. Sometimes I get like that, and I think I'll be there again eventually. In fact right now I'm in a bit of a lull, but that's more due to my amps being packed snugly in the basement and not having any regular playing commitments than anything else.

Maybe it's the "perfection" that's made you bored? You have your guitar, your amph, your pedals, and you're (I think) done with the Metal Method series. You're done with the search and the lessons, so the chase is no longer there.

Hang in there. I don't think this is really your bag, but finding an outlet for playing (even if just a buddy to jam with) might rekindle your interest. It might give you a reason to play and provide an application for guitaring.

Tig
June 3rd, 2011, 09:10 PM
All the above advice is spot on.

I understand the frustration of a plateau where you get tired of the usual rut you get trapped in, yet don't have the skills to play the stuff you really want to learn. When you back off from playing, the frustration increases as you forget licks you learned not that long ago.

This too will pass, so enjoy the change of pace. Later, you may feel the draw and will return to playing.

tjcurtin1
June 3rd, 2011, 09:17 PM
Whoa, Rev - you're being too hard on yourself!

"I've always been a guy who talked about guitars far better than he played them" - while I know that's not the case with many folks here, I imagine that it would be a fit for no small number of us (me for sure). Let yourself breathe a little - take a step back from your expectations. A good rule of thumb is to 'start and end with success' - play stuff that you know and can play with some ease at the beginning and end of a session, and poke at the harder stuff in the middle. The suggestion to just take a break - without beating yourself up about it - and then coming back when the spirit moves you, is also good advice. Better to just leave it alone for a bit than to pitch it all in a fit of momentary frustration. As others have said, you'll come back around to it.

deeaa
June 3rd, 2011, 10:08 PM
Dude,

Been there...many a time.

Twice I've sold off pretty much ALL my gear. If I didn't also sing, I dunno if I'd have gotten back to it either.

I never was a true guitarist IMO...I always thought my playing was 80% knowing how to sound good, 10% just having been built so it's physically easy enough for me, and 10% being damned stubborn.
But I never learned but a handful of licks and songs by others, I have no idea of notes or such, and I hardly ever play the damned thing or practice. I have noticed if I do, it kills my drive to do it really quickly. Thus I NEVER practice singing or playing, and only do it when I have to perform or at band practice so that the others learn the songs too. But when I've been on bands where every player has known their parts real well, we've only played together on gigs basically, then there's no need to train. But these days I prefer band training to gigs anyway, it kinda feels like gigging when you do it seldom and not wear plugs and just go with the sound.

As I write this I'm trying to recall the last time I played, and it must have been a week back when I accompanied myself to open my voice on an acoustic...electric...can't remember really. Last band practice was sometime...early May or before May.

It suits me best not to do it too much. Also singing. In the past month I also sang at my school ending choir because I had to. But besides that, I have had zero interest in singing because my voice has been bad, been smoking and drinking far too much, and also guitar playing doesn't seem as interesting to me as does building stuff, making renovations and yard work etc. It could take months I don't play.

But you know, the funny thing is, when I start it anew, I always play much better than I used to!

So I guess, to sum it all up....if you don't feel the drive, don't worry about it! But DON'T put away the gear. Let a month pass, or two, or more, but keep the gear in sight. Some day you realize you WANT to play again and when you do, I wouldn't be surprised if you find you've improved clearly due to the break.

Tig
June 3rd, 2011, 10:42 PM
Rev, I'm thinking of sending you a few old gospel albums to listen to... To scare you back to teh brootalz! (and grasp your inner metal)

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_gFAXtRfBfCs/SvjnC3soRdI/AAAAAAAAAH4/m3QCj-Navw0/s400/bigharifaithtones.jpg

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_gFAXtRfBfCs/SvjnCiRFd-I/AAAAAAAAAHw/myOdCcEw_aU/s400/bighairguideme.jpg

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_gFAXtRfBfCs/SvtaHHGDAGI/AAAAAAAAAIw/97DBGtlYAFY/s400/geraldinebighair.jpg

sunvalleylaw
June 3rd, 2011, 11:27 PM
Wow, that is some BIG hair!

street music
June 4th, 2011, 06:39 AM
I think we all reach this point at sometime in our life with not only guitars but many things, if your heart is in music you will get back to it. I catch myself playing more one month than I will for several months, then I get the craving to get back at it. Our jobs and family have so many demands that just a few minutes on some days of plucking the strings gives me great satisfaction. Hang in there!

progrmr
June 4th, 2011, 07:17 AM
marnold I've felt the same way like 5 times in the last 5 years!

For me I think it has to do with being an adult student of music (piano and guitar at the moment). The thing about adult students is that they grasp musical concepts MUCH faster than the actual physical execution of applying the theory. Starting piano about 10 months ago has really driven home this point.

Also adults have a different definitions/expectations of "progress" and being "good" at playing the guitar.

Both of these points have lead me to grow tired of constantly having music on the mind - even being a patient person. So it takes me like 2 solid weeks to learn a song good enough to have it under my fingers...so in order to play a 3-4 hour gig, I'll have to practice/play frequently and consistently for oh...3-4 years...lol!

Bottom line - you're drawn to music, it's what brought you to bass/guitar in the first place. If you do decide to sell your guitar gear - don't sell it all. Keep a small amp and 1 guitar in the closet. I have a feeling you'd be needing it eventually. There also nothing wrong with playing bass - if you're feeling like the bass is calling you, get after it! There is nothing like being the guy in the band that makes the booties shake :)

Whatever you do - just enjoy what you're doing musically. You've been playing long enough to know what an outlet music is - all you have to do is do what you have fun doing.

Katastrophe
June 4th, 2011, 08:16 AM
I think you may have burned yourself out a little bit. Walk away, and don't worry about it. That's the cool thing about the guitar, as long as you don't sell it, it'll still be there for you when you're ready.

Play bass, or try out some other activity with your leisure time. Playing should be fun. If it ain't, then move on to something else for a little while, or try to just play, without worrying about this technique or that phrase in a song. If you do want to learn the techniques, break them down into smaller pieces, work on them for a shorter amount of time, and move on to something else.

A word of caution, though... I wouldn't get rid of the gear. You've got great stuff that took a little wheeling and dealing, along with some great timing on your part to get the Jackson. You'll regret it if you sell your gear.

As far as posting here goes, KEEP POSTING! Your sense of humor is great... and the stuff you do post about guitar wise is dead on. You can still post about likes and dislikes even if you're not currently playing.

A final thought... I'll bet even our guitar heroes, that play for a living, go through periods where they just don't want to pick an instrument up. Enjoy yourself this summer, and keep posting, man.

kiteman
June 4th, 2011, 09:34 AM
You're not alone rev.

I'm at the point where it doesn't matter anymore. I'm aged, tired and no desire to learn anything new except for my own which is getting more infrequent. I still love guitars and play the same ol same ol everyday. I pretend that I'm a rock star and touring. :socool

As it is I'm more interested in the tech aspects and new toys rather than learning songs. I'm always doing something to my guitars.

I guess my time has come.

Spudman
June 4th, 2011, 09:46 AM
If your equipment is paid for never sell it. It's like being a carpenter. When you need to build something you use your tools (guitars). You're not always building something (playing music). If you have the tools you can then build something (play music) when it suits you to do so.

As in sports: train your weaknesses and race your strengths. Meaning play what you know and keep working on the stuff you don't know. And the best solution of all - find some people to play with.

ZMAN
June 4th, 2011, 10:23 AM
One of the best tonics for this kind of funk is to go back to what you used to think was difficult and play it now. You will realize just how far you have actually come.
I started playing guitar in the 60s. I had good equipment then. I only ever sold my amp (Fender Super Reverb). I kept my practice amp and my 1968 Gibson SG. Life got in the way and I didn't really touch the guitar for 25 years. Then I decided I needed a hobby for retirement. I have all the time in the world to play, and I did.
Lately like you I have not played as much as I feel I should, but my playing now is 100 times better than it was when I first picked up the guitar again. It comes and goes and all I can say it when I do pick it up, I always feel a lot better after a session.
What ever you do don't sell the gear.
I find when I am in this situation I try to look for a new artist to spark my enthusiasm.
It will pass.

MAXIFUNK
June 4th, 2011, 12:45 PM
Marnold,

I did not play a lick on my bass from basically 1988 to 2006 or 2007.
The urge hit me and I was back got bored with the bass rather quickly though then bought my 1st axe in Dec, 2008.
I go weeks at time not playing sometimes mood, life, work or internal desire stops me but the one thing I have come to accept
"NO MATTER WHO MUCH I PLAY OR MY SKILL LEVEL MUSIC IS IN MY SOUL AND A PART OF ME FOR LIFE"

Peaks and valley's happen to everyone I once had a convo with Joe Sample and he told for most of the early 90's he only played at gigs and was not in a creative mood at all even though he recorded project after project. He said he took almost 15 months off from playing in the late 90's and when he came back he was renewed and his music was fresh and recorded what he considered to be some of the best work of his life from 2000 on.

Take step back as you been doing then if you must sell sell away but I would keep at least one guitar and one amp in case the bug hits you again down the line.

FYI- I RECENTLY WAS IN A SLUMP MYSELF!!

Jimi75
June 4th, 2011, 02:16 PM
Marnold, I know exavtly what you are going through. This is not the typical 4 week break and then you love playing again. This is you standing on the edge, searcjing for that passion, recognizing that something deep inside has died. Sorry for these direct words. I am in that same boat. For me it started slowly when new beautiful things things came into my life, like sports abd writing the book. I almost forgot about guitar playing and asked myself why I am going through all of this, torturing myself with music, instead of enjoying it. I definitely lost almost all emotion towards guitar playing. It doesn't give me a thing no more, I feel that I could do better things than hiding away practiving scales. That's just my 2cents. Also I feel like I have not much more to contribute to this board, what am I telling people...not being a passionate guitarist anymore. Marnold you might be off to a new exciting chapter, enjoy the trip. At least to me it has been rewarding since over a year and I've never felt better in years!

marnold
June 4th, 2011, 09:14 PM
Thanks for the comments and insight, folks. I appreciate it. I'm not sure what it is. I do distinctly remember when I graduated from the Sem saying, "When am I going to play this bass again?", selling all my stuff, and regretting it a couple of years down the road. I'd still like to have my old made-in-the-USA Peavey Fury back. Ah well. Que Sirhan Sirhan.

Anyway, I think my problem is that, as a guitar player, I really want to be a shredder. I know _how_ to be a shredder. I know the all the technical stuff. I just don't have the dexterity or the patience required. With bass I have no delusions of grandeur. Plus I actually played bass in bands, something I've never had the opportunity to do with guitar. The bluegrass stuff I played (even though I still don't own a single bluegrass track, much less album) was easy to pick up, fun to play, and then I could move on. I can't seem to do that with guitar.

Another part of it might be that my time has been eaten up the past couple of months. Some things are "normal" like the usual Lent/Holy Week busyness. Some most definitely have not been. I've had to make some emergency calls of the type that you dread getting. For the past 1.5 years I've also been the president of my homebrew club. In April I found out that Wisconsin law is very vague with homebrewing and where it may be done, so I've had to work with others on getting that addressed. I'd sooner stick my head in a bucket of piranha then deal with legalese. Then I look at my guitar stuff and think about how much I've got invested just sitting there. I've been sick all week too, which doesn't help.

I'm just going to lay low for now. Of all my stuff, I really can't fathom selling my Jackson. I like the idea of it as much as the guitar itself. Hopefully I'll soon have a desire to pick it up again and not just use it as an objet d'art.

bcdon
June 4th, 2011, 09:28 PM
There is nothing more fun than playing the guitar. So, when you are not having fun, it's time to set the guitar down and do something else. You'll come back to her when the time is right.

deeaa
June 4th, 2011, 09:41 PM
There is nothing more fun than playing the guitar. So, when you are not having fun, it's time to set the guitar down and do something else. You'll come back to her when the time is right.

Um, I dunno...I can think of a couple of things I like better...playing can be fun too, sure...

Tig
June 4th, 2011, 09:44 PM
Um, I dunno...I can think of a couple of things I like better...playing can be fun too, sure...

Ah, I was thinking along the same lines! :socool
:nope

bcdon
June 4th, 2011, 10:00 PM
Ah, I was thinking along the same lines! :socool
:nope
Sure.. I'm talking about hobbies...

sunvalleylaw
June 4th, 2011, 10:12 PM
How do you define "hobby"? ;)

bcdon
June 5th, 2011, 08:53 AM
How do you define "hobby"? ;)

Rough house. Perhaps this is better: Guitar playing should be fun, when it's not, do something else for a while and try again.
Are the language police happy now? ;)

sunvalleylaw
June 5th, 2011, 09:28 AM
LOL!! I was fine with it . . . just poking fun.

bcdon
June 5th, 2011, 10:21 AM
LOL!! I was fine with it . . . just poking fun.

Of course! I took no offense, and I'm not going to say a thing about poking! :) :dude

sunvalleylaw
June 5th, 2011, 10:31 AM
Lol!!!

tunghaichuan
June 5th, 2011, 10:46 AM
Of course! I took no offense, and I'm not going to say a thing about poking! :) :dude

That's what she said. :rollover

NWBasser
June 5th, 2011, 12:13 PM
Stash the git and play bass for awhile.

Nutin' wrong with a little bassin' every now and again. It seems to me that playing bass is almost always a fun activity.

I actually got burned out playing rock music, then discovered funk and soul and am having the time of my life playing these days. I'll say listen to and maybe take a stab at different styles of music than you'd normally play.

marnold
June 7th, 2011, 01:17 PM
And now the follow-up thread (http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php/18559-OK-I-m-Back?p=208419).

duhvoodooman
June 8th, 2011, 07:45 AM
And now the follow-up thread (http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php/18559-OK-I-m-Back?p=208419).I think it's obvious. You're bipolar! ;)

Seriously, I think all players go through this from time to time. I know I do.

marnold
June 8th, 2011, 10:03 AM
I think it's obvious. You're bipolar! ;)

No, I'm not! Yes, I am! Wait . . . maybe?!?

Yeah, I've been through this before too, but two months was a freaking long time. The more I think about it, the more I'm buying into the "writing as catharsis" theory.

sunvalleylaw
June 8th, 2011, 12:06 PM
You're getting older. Things take longer as you get older. ;) Well, ok, maybe not only age. But as my kids get older and busier, and other life commitments continue to demand time, it is hard to overcome these things in just a couple days.

gatorbrit
June 9th, 2011, 01:51 PM
Saw your follow up thread - but thought I'd comment here. I was in a rut. Playing the same chord shapes, same tired pentatonic licks - so I've been taking lessons this past month. My teacher is great - he's really working with me to see the fret board in a new way - basically the CAGED system - but he doesn't use all the shapes. I'm learning new songs and learning to play them while avoiding boring 6 string bar chords. This has energized my interest because my brain is engaged - I am having to think about my playing - about what I should and shouldn't be doing.