PDA

View Full Version : DSOTM docu available free on Netflix

sunvalleylaw
June 4th, 2011, 11:08 AM
Dark Side of the Moon, by Pink Floyd, that is.

and if you haven't watched this documentary, you should. It was done in 2003. Rogers and Gilmour both participate, along with the other musicians, and along with others involved in the mixing and production. Very, very cool.

Some highlights:

1. The different views of Rogers and Gilmour on how songs came together. Both valid, just from different points of view.
2. History leading up to it and how they got there as a band.
3. How "On the Run" was made.
4. The jazz influence on the album, particularly from Richard Wright (keyboards) point of view. The influence of Miles Davis, "Kind of Blue" is documented once again. In fact I enjoyed Richard's contributions immensely and was reminded of how much the piano and keyboards sucked me into that album when I first heard it. I was a piano player at the time.
5. The bit on the Clare Torry vocals on "Great Gig in the Sky".

Bottom line, you should watch it, whether you like Floyd or not. The creative process alone is instructive. Plus, the album is such a good, thoughtful, emotionally moving work.

Stream it free if you have an account:

http://www.netflix.com/Movie/Pink-Floyd-The-Dark-Side-of-the-Moon/60030169

FrankenFretter
June 4th, 2011, 11:43 AM
Sweet, thanks Steve! It's going in my queue right....now!

FrankenFretter
June 14th, 2011, 03:51 PM
I finally got a chance to watch this. Absolutely fantastic! I don't consider myself a huge Floyd fan, but I do like their stuff. I really love Gilmour's style, he really has a feel for the music. The whole recording process for DSOTM was incredibly interesting to watch. Thanks for the heads up, Steve!

Even if you're not a Pink Floyd fan, if you like music and have any interest in the creation process, you owe it to yourself to watch this from start to finish. Big thumbs up! :AOK

sunvalleylaw
June 14th, 2011, 06:14 PM
Glad you liked it. I thought it was an enjoyable way to spend the latter part of a friday night. It packs a lot into only an hour or so. :AOK

syo
June 15th, 2011, 03:19 AM
Thanks Steve!
Just watched/listened to it on YouTube. Really well done documentary. Very thoughtful, revealing and interesting to get a glimpse at where the band saw themselves during the making of the album. Seeing Alan Parsons at the desk was a special treat too.

Retro Hound
June 15th, 2011, 08:09 AM
Eric Clapton's Crossroads Festival 2010 is now on instant play on Netflix. http://movies.netflix.com/Movie/Eric-Clapton-Crossroads-Guitar-Festival-2010/70152497

sunvalleylaw
June 15th, 2011, 08:13 AM
Cool. Good catch.