PDA

View Full Version : Jerry Donahue mind/string bending

syo
June 5th, 2011, 06:00 AM
I've always admired Jerry Donahue since his days with Fairport Convention. He turns a telecaster into another category of instrument. Although he often has plenty of country in his sound (not one of my favorite genres), I find that his work transcends such labels. He's simply brilliant. If you don't want to hear the interview you can skip to 2:35. But I recommend you watch the whole thing.

TJaSZxZJFV0

I've also had the pleasure of talking with him a few times and he's really a very humble, nice chap.

marnold
June 5th, 2011, 01:04 PM
B-bender? We don't need no stinking b-bender! Jerry Donahue makes all of that look ridiculously easy.

jpfeifer
June 6th, 2011, 05:35 PM
I had the pleasure of seeing him play with the Hellecasters one time when I lived in LA. I was blown away by all 3 of the guys in that group. It was a Tele-fest and all 3 of them were amazing. But I think that I was the most amazed by Jerry Donahue.

--Jim

syo
June 7th, 2011, 05:38 AM
Was that at McCabe's in Santa Monica by any chance? If so, I was at that show too. Yeah the Hellecasters were great. I've run into Jerry Donahue and Will Ray quite a few times at music trade shows in the past few years. John Jorgenson is of course a great player too.

jpfeifer
June 7th, 2011, 06:49 AM
Was that at McCabe's in Santa Monica by any chance? If so, I was at that show too. Yeah the Hellecasters were great. I've run into Jerry Donahue and Will Ray quite a few times at music trade shows in the past few years. John Jorgenson is of course a great player too.

Yes, the show was at McCabes! That's a great place to see a band like this.

--Jim

syo
June 7th, 2011, 07:17 AM
Yes, the show was at McCabes! That's a great place to see a band like this.

--Jim

Yeah, McCabe's was a great venue wasn't it. Perhaps it still is, though I've not been there in years. Saw Richard Thompson a few times there too. Used to be one of my favorite spots with L.A.'s best mexican just a minute up the street...:hungry

jpfeifer
June 7th, 2011, 12:42 PM
McCabes is a cool guitar store to visit, in addition to seeing live concerts there, and playing all the great acoustic guitars they had. I liked looking through all the pictures on the wall of famous musicians who visited the store. They had some cool photos of Elvis Costello, Jackson Browne, Bonnie Raitt, etc. That's one of the fun things about going to some of the music stores in L.A., every now and then spotting a famous musician.