PDA

View Full Version : From song structure to music biz travails....

poodlesrule
June 5th, 2011, 07:14 AM
Early this morning I set out to learn more about song structure in general, and ran into this YTube segment "What happened to USA Top 40 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWtWQJlsx8s)", where the author, a DJ, attempt to show how much of today's popular music has poor differentiation between chorus, verse, and bridge, sometimes leading some listeners to take refuge with "predictable" styles like country.

It looks like an interesting point, even though somewhat simplistic, with a few rough spots. Thoughts?

The comments are wide-ranging, some amusing and some sad: MUSIC business vs BUSINESS music, and how you can't even dance to some rap songs...

sunvalleylaw
June 5th, 2011, 11:18 PM
For the types of music he picks, he seems to have a point. He is a bit wordy and verbose, and I wish he picked a different song to contrast against then "Like a Virgin" but I can see what he is saying.

mrmudcat
June 6th, 2011, 12:09 AM
Personally I listen to all kinds of music,country is far from "bad" as this guy states "down home twangy thing" now that's funny,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I love me some southern rock and some country is headed back in that direction with edgier guitar etc. etc. zac brown band(southern rock country ,colt ford/brantley gilbert(country, rap,hip hop) are some artists that have got my attention in the lat year or two.( mud digger cd(various artists) check it out!!!(Georgia boys!!!!) If ya got itunes I can share!! Yea im a redneck If ya dont like it you can kiss my country arse mr DJ !!!:rollover:socool I am biased but the south has always had a finger on the pulse of good music,all kinds not just country, rock, blues,alternative, crossover etc. etc. ,atleast this is my opinion!!!:socool

Hard for me to take this guy seriously as he admits like a virgin is one of his favorite songs.Most country is by people who can really sing and play without autotune or sampling over other crap.Also the key for me is write most of your own stuff period !!!!!:AOK