PDA

View Full Version : Pick one

Eric
June 6th, 2011, 06:11 PM
This might be a tired exercise, sure, but I find it to be kind of fun. Progrmr's thread gave me this idea.

The premise: for guitars, you can only keep one. Which one is it? You can answer however you decide: most valuable, most sentimental value, best playing, favorite, most versatile, best tone, whatever. Just provide the rationale along with your decision. I know some of you (I'm looking at you, marnold!) only have one guitar, so this should be an easy answer.

For me, it's the one that fits me the best, is easiest to play, and gets me closest to the sounds I use the most: Agile AL-3100. The Godin might be worth more, but I don't care. The Agile has been the guitar that matches me best ever since I bought it.

How about you?

FrankenFretter
June 6th, 2011, 06:24 PM
No can do. I've thought about this, and it may have been possible a couple years ago, but not now.

If it were a life and death situation, I'd probably have to go with the Bender, though.

Spudman
June 6th, 2011, 06:33 PM
http://images.wikia.com/ibanez/images/f/f8/SCR220_NB.jpg

oldguy
June 6th, 2011, 06:58 PM
Six months ago it was my Agile.........now it's either or both of my Tele's.

t_ross33
June 6th, 2011, 07:46 PM
If it were only one, I'm sticking with my Yamaha acoustic. First and foremost, it was my Dad's and the guitar I learned to play on. Secondly, an acoustic is uber portable and can go from gig to house party to campfire.

If the powers that be let me keep another, then it'd be a Tele - hands down the most versatile axe on the planet (IMHO).

Eric
June 6th, 2011, 08:00 PM
http://images.wikia.com/ibanez/images/f/f8/SCR220_NB.jpg
What's that? And why?

otaypanky
June 6th, 2011, 08:03 PM
I'd have to choose my 50's Tribute LP. It's an inexpensive guitar as Gibsons go, I paid $775 new. I have some vintage guitars, some rare ones, and some that cost several times more than the Tribute, but it's light and comfortable and has a very unique tone that I like a lot. The chambered body, P-90's, and the way I wired the replacement pots and caps let me wander over toward an airy Fender like tone as well as delivering a fat Gibson sound.

Spudman
June 6th, 2011, 08:07 PM
What's that? And why?

Ibanez SCR220. All mahogany body that is just a bit thicker than the popular S470, 22 frets and a short scale. It's got beautiful sounds in every position. It can get very Tele-ish, heavy R&R in the bridge, sweet woman tone in the neck and a lovely in between quack just off the neck pickup. It has a wiring design that they don't use very often or maybe anymore, a treble bleed, solid tuners and a neck profile that is just like my Ernie Ball Luke without the offset V that the Luke has. They don't make these any more.

marnold
June 6th, 2011, 09:14 PM
Spud, I thought for sure you'd say your Luke. Color me amazed.

My DK2M is it for me and not just by default. I've honestly never played a guitar I've liked more than this one. Not even close. And, yes, I'm on the verge of playing again.

For bass, it would be the late 80s Spector I played back in the day. Probably was over a grand at the time. Magnificent instrument. No, it wasn't mine.

bcdon
June 6th, 2011, 09:22 PM
I'd have to go with my old, beat-to-crap, 1959 Les Paul Sun Burst that my grand dad gave me. I don't play it much
as it needs some new strings and I'm not sure it's worth the investment.

KjGaJj_-itE

(to be truthful, I'd go with my Godin Icon Type 3)
hDx9df8aHlY

Spudman
June 6th, 2011, 09:28 PM
Spud, I thought for sure you'd say your Luke. Color me amazed.

The Luke certainly has it's place, but I think I like the way passive pickups in the Ibanez respond to my touch a tiny bit more than the actives in the Luke.

sunvalleylaw
June 6th, 2011, 09:48 PM
If I had to do just one, (electric), it's my strat. A number of reasons: it was first guitar love, I love the neck, I love how comfortable the overall guitar is, I know well the tones and can do a lot of versatile things with it, etc.

Brian Krashpad
June 7th, 2011, 09:45 AM
Obviously, never could do such a thing. I could ID a few I could part with relatively easily, but after that they bring so many different things to the table-- economic worth, mojo, sentimental attachment, etc., it'd be impossible to pick. Assuming they were all in the same place and the building caught fire, it'd probably be the Les Paul Classic, since it's the most valuable AND a great guitar:

http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/208324_10150169395413879_512618878_6725033_8326332 _n.jpg

Truth be told, however, I gots 2 hands so at a minimum the Hamer Special would come along too.

:dude
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs1119.snc4/148150_126692927388242_117815748275960_170935_4342 076_n.jpg

R_of_G
June 7th, 2011, 09:52 AM
No question it'd be the ES-135.

It's my primary guitar as it is for its versatility in tone.

hubberjub
June 7th, 2011, 12:52 PM
If I had to pick one it would have to be my 1993 Gibson Les Paul Studio. Easily one of the worst guitars I own, but my father gave it to me. It was my first quality guitar. It's been through hell with me. It's headstock was snapped clean off and repaired. Its original black paint was stripped off and I applied a tung oil finish. Most of the hardware has been replaced over the years and I swapped out the original pickups for DiMarzio Virtual Vintage humbuckers. It's amazing what sentimental value will do to a person.
http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd105/hubberjub/Solid%20Bodies/th_Picture014.jpg (http://s222.photobucket.com/albums/dd105/hubberjub/Solid%20Bodies/?action=view&current=Picture014.jpg)

FrankenFretter
June 7th, 2011, 01:38 PM
I'd have to go with my old, beat-to-crap, 1959 Les Paul Sun Burst that my grand dad gave me. I don't play it much
as it needs some new strings and I'm not sure it's worth the investment.

:rotflmao:

I read the first little bit of that and was thinking, "I didn't know he had anything old and beat to crap". Then I read the rest. LMAO! Nice one, Don.

Tig
June 7th, 2011, 06:21 PM
Of my 5 electrics and one acoustic, all can be replaced. The Reverend is such a sweet P90 guitar, but it could be replaced with another Reverend, like a smaller solid body Sensei.

That leaves the Washburn WI66 and the Hell No.2.
I'm a humbucker lover, and the Washburn fits me like a glove. It is replaceable, but I'd hate to have to do that.
The Hell No.2 is also replaceable since more are in production, but this one is a unique pre-production guitar that feels and sounds so good, I couldn't really replace it. I guess it wins!

Eric
June 7th, 2011, 06:34 PM
Wow, we're 2-for-2 on Hell guitars. Quite a testament to that brand!

NWBasser
June 14th, 2011, 03:14 PM
Way too easy for me - my Epi LP standard. It just sounds and feels just like I want it to.

The Squier CV strat? Not likely.

You know, I really wouldn't mind an Agile AL3000. But, I'm not really a collector though...

gatorbrit
June 14th, 2011, 07:46 PM
My Dean EVO special. Its not a fancy or expensive guitar but I think it looks good and plays well.

syo
June 15th, 2011, 12:06 AM
I really love my Gretsch 6120 Hot Rod. I love the way it looks, the unique sound, the feel/play of it and the angelic choir that sings whenever I open the case. However it is somewhat limited in terms of versatility. So if it is only one guitar, I would have to go with something that gives me the most range that I also enjoy the feel of. That would be my ZeroDot with the Irish Tour/Nailbomb combination. It has the trem bar so I can still do Rockabilly and Surf and plenty of range of tones for most anything else. It would be a sad day indeed though to have to give up that Hot Rod...

Ch0jin
June 15th, 2011, 02:40 AM
For me it's my Maton BB1200. I have developed a serious bond with that baby. I don't even like to use a pick with it, it commands the intimacy of direct contact :)

street music
June 15th, 2011, 05:35 AM
I find that I divide my time rather well between the Carvin 770T and my Takamine when I'm playing acoustic, My Godin Detour has always been a favorite but I'm picking up a new-used
GODIN LG this weekend that I had my son pickup for me in Louisville, this will had fuel to the playin time.

guitarhack
June 15th, 2011, 06:08 AM
My Taylor 310.

FusedGrooves
June 15th, 2011, 07:10 PM
Yamaha SA2200

Perfect Stranger
June 16th, 2011, 05:40 AM
All of my other guitars cost me more....but for me it would be my ol' black '84 Squier Strat.
It's like putting on an old pair of tennis shoes. Comfortable as can be, even though they
look like hell.
http://i56.tinypic.com/2i28n83.jpg