PDA

View Full Version : Opinions needed

scruff
June 9th, 2011, 01:06 PM
Looking at pairing the Ampeg PF500 Portaflex head with a Fender Rumble 410 cab. Any thoughts? As I really don't know much about such pairings, I was hoping you knowledgable folks could help me out.

Is this something you would consider do-able? A compatible combination, tone-wise? Power-wise?

Thanks y'all!
Scruff

marnold
June 9th, 2011, 01:49 PM
Never tried them but we've got a couple of bassists here who should be able to help.

NWBasser
June 10th, 2011, 12:18 PM
Hi Scruff!

The Ampeg PF (Portaflex) 500 is 500 watts at 4 ohms. If the Rumble 410 is rated at 4 ohms, then you'll be getting all 500 watts out of the head and will be plenty loud for most gigs and band situations.

If the Rumble is an 8-ohm cab, then you'd still be getting around 300 watts which can be fairly loud depending on the efficiency of the cab. Either way, the setup will be compatible.

Tone-wise, I think the PF 500 should sound very nice! The Rumble 410 is pretty new and I have no clue what it may sound like. The Rumble looks to be quite decent on paper for the price.

The amp head is awesome and the cab may sound pretty killer too.

scruff
June 13th, 2011, 07:49 AM
NWBasser, that's exactly the info I was looking for!!! I knew someone here would be able to steer me in the right direction. Thanks for the help!!!!

Brian Krashpad
June 13th, 2011, 11:11 AM
I was going to chip in but NWB's answer said everything I would've.

NWBasser
June 13th, 2011, 12:25 PM
I'll just add that if you can swing it, Avatar's new 3-way bass cab, the TB153, will blow nearly any commercial cab away.

It's an absolutely killer cab and not too expensive. Well worth every penny and then some.

www.avatarspeakers.com

I'll be posting pics, sound clips, and review soon.

scruff
June 17th, 2011, 07:46 AM
NWB, I like the look of Avatar's 410 cabs, but they're just a bit beyond my present price range.

NWBasser
June 17th, 2011, 02:22 PM
NWB, I like the look of Avatar's 410 cabs, but they're just a bit beyond my present price range.

The Avatar 410 is OK, but the new TB153 is in a whole other class.

Since the cab is such big part of the sound, I'd probably look around for a good-quality used cab.

How much volume do you need? Music style?

scruff
June 20th, 2011, 06:21 AM
Country and classic rock. We play a lot of biker bars, that sort of thing, and tend to get pretty loud. Really just looking at that Fender cab right now, and was wondering if anyone here had any experience with either the combination of the Fender 410 cab and the Ampeg PF500 or a very similar rig.

NWBasser
June 21st, 2011, 04:04 PM
Country and classic rock. We play a lot of biker bars, that sort of thing, and tend to get pretty loud. Really just looking at that Fender cab right now, and was wondering if anyone here had any experience with either the combination of the Fender 410 cab and the Ampeg PF500 or a very similar rig.

For that use you should be fine with the Fender/Ampeg rig. If things get really loud and rowdy, I'd listen carefully for the speakers farting out or distorting. If that happens, EQ'ing out some bottom-end and a mid-boost may work for getting through the band mix. A bottom-heavy tone can take quite a toll on drivers.

Generally speaking, 500 to 600 watts and a 410 will work very well for 90% of bass gigs. And typically, if you need more than that you can run a DI signal to the FOH system and let it work for you.