PDA

View Full Version : Creative Guitar by Guthrie Govan

Lev
November 21st, 2006, 03:42 AM
Folks,

I recieved a gift of a vouchor for Amazon.com a couple of weeks back and ordered Creative Guitar 1 & 2 by Guthrie Govan. I was attracted to these books because Guthrie writes for a UK Guitar Mag called Guitar Techniques which I like alot. He also has several posts on youtube which show what a talent he is.

Anyway I recieved the two books complete with CD's last night and all I can say is WOW. I was completely engrossed until about 2am. I've been playing for 20years now (and probably been at the same standard for the last 10) and never before have I found a guitar instruction book so well written. He really does a great job of breaking everything down into usable chunks and the book is loaded with stories and tips from his own experience. For example, did you know that the harder you strike the strings the sharper the note you produce? So, when tuning you should always strike the strings with the same attack you use when playing, otherwise you may notice the notes being slightly sharp as you're playing.

I've yet to delve to deeply into the excercises but so far even just as a good read I'd recommed it. I'll give a full review once I've spent some more time on with it. Guthie Rocks!!

There's lots to learn here for only $15!!

http://www.amazon.com/Creative-Guitar-Cutting-Edge-Tech/dp/1860744621/sr=8-1/qid=1164103741/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/002-7224505-9569622?ie=UTF8&s=books

tot_Ou_tard
November 21st, 2006, 08:22 AM
Thanks for the heads up Lev! As a self taught newbie, I live & breathe guitar instruction books.

sunvalleylaw
November 21st, 2006, 08:49 AM
Thanks for the heads up Lev! As a self taught newbie, I live & breathe guitar instruction books.

Another good low price point addition to my Christmas list.:D

tot_Ou_tard
January 9th, 2007, 07:57 PM
Thanks Lev for pointing these books out to us. I just got Vol 1. It is quite wordy, but in a very friendly, entertaining, and enlightening way. Just like you'd hope an intelligent best friend with loads of guitar experience would be.

I haven't go to the exercises, which I fear may strain my capabilities, but I'm having a hard time butting the book down. Damned interesting!

@nthony
January 7th, 2010, 01:37 PM
I just got these by Guthrie and I have to say they are FANTASTIC - no matter what your ability you'll pick something up in these two books.

Commodore 64
January 8th, 2010, 09:56 AM
This thread inspired me to finally pull the trigger on purchasing Texas Blues Guitar by Robert Calva. (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0793599644/ref=ox_ya_oh_product)

@nthony
January 8th, 2010, 11:53 AM
Let us know what you think of that one Commodore!

blackwoodbarter
January 9th, 2010, 06:51 PM
Guthrie Govan often contributes to a magazine ( Guitar Techniques ) .... the other month, he did a feature lesson called "supercharge your playing" .... the magazine is not real cheap, but it's got an amazing amount of material packed into it ....

@nthony
January 10th, 2010, 02:54 AM
Guthrie Govan often contributes to a magazine ( Guitar Techniques ) .... the other month, he did a feature lesson called "supercharge your playing" .... the magazine is not real cheap, but it's got an amazing amount of material packed into it ....

That's right. I subscribe and never have the time to pick all of it up. I just choose the lessons I like the look of that month, and every now and again go through all my back issues!