PDA

View Full Version : Classic Vibe 50s Tele-Butterscotch Blonde

ZMAN
June 13th, 2011, 06:18 AM
Let me start by saying I had no intentions of buying another guitar. I have one Tele. A Classic vibe Tele Custom. My only wish was that it had a maple board. When I was looking for a Tele a couple of years ago I was looking for a tele with a vintage look and feel. It had to be B Blonde with a maple board. I wasn't too sure about the 3 saddle bridge, and I wanted a 9.5 radius. At the time there was really nothing that checked all those boxes execpt maybe a 2000 dollar Fender.
When I saw the CV Custom I fell in love and even though it wasn't a maple board I bought one. I figured I would only ever have one tele.
When I heard that they had come out with the Squier in B Blonde I became very interested. I asked my local guy to keep an eye out for one and let me know. Well he finally called and said he just got one.
Brand new in the box from Fender.
He is giving me the same price as the online guys and I get a great set up and a new set of strings.
I will pick it up on Tuesday probably and I will add pics.
I know this guitar will sound really nice because I already have the same pickups in my CV Custom.
The only thing I am not sure of is the pine body vs Alder. As far as the 3 saddle vs the 6 saddle bridge, I have come to enjoy the feel of the 3 saddle and I am quite happy with it. This one comes with brass saddles which is a bonus.

Tig
June 13th, 2011, 06:25 AM
Let me start by saying I had no intentions of buying another guitar.

:rollover If I had a guitar for every time I heard that one! :poke

I can't wait to see more and hear about this guitar.

Lev
June 13th, 2011, 06:32 AM
Congrats - looking forward to your review Zman. That guitar is definitely on my radar for my first Tele.

sunvalleylaw
June 13th, 2011, 07:21 AM
Well, I am interested in how you like it, seeing as you and I have the same teles. Like you, I had thought the B Blonde Black Guard tele (ala '52, and Springsteen) was the look for me. At this point, I really like my CVC, and I don't otherwise have a RW board electric. So it is highly unlikely I would do any selling/repurchasing. But I am interested in how you like this one compared to the CVC all the same.

ZMAN
June 13th, 2011, 07:33 AM
I also have the CV 50s Strat, so I am pretty sure the workmanship will be top notch. I really love the neck on the Tele Custom, and especially the neck on the 50s Strat. I kind of delayed getting back to my local guy and I hope he didn't sell it over the weekend. I am awaiting a return email. He is pretty good, if I ask he usually gives me the right of first refusal.
Every revue I have heard about the guitar has been glowing and the Blonde version seemed to be a big hit as well.
As I said I will give a review, and some pictures when I pick it up.
I just got the email and it wasn't sold. I pick it up tomorrow.

MAXIFUNK
June 13th, 2011, 02:21 PM
I have a CV Tele Thinline which I really like but this video really made me want this new butterscotch Blonde CV Tele

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOFTWdcovtw

ZMAN
June 13th, 2011, 04:21 PM
Interesting. I have seen Rob Chappers do a lot of vids from the Orange amps to the Vintagae Icon Lemon Drop.
He is a great player and I guess he really loves that guitar. I really can't understand why Fender would want 2000 bucks for the same guitar. When I looked you could get a lot of the same features but only with a 7.5 radius. From what I have seen from the other CV guitars I am sure I will be more than happy.
Thanks for the vid though it was entertaining.

ZMAN
June 14th, 2011, 10:52 AM
Well I picked it up today. I thought my Tele Custom was sweet but this one is even better. I had 10s put on it and I like them a whole lot more than the 9s on the Custom. The pickups are about the same but I think with the maple board it is a little more crisp. The overal weight is a little heavier than my Custom but in a good way. The grain is really nice and well matched. The were true to the 50s era with the smaller knobs and switch. The tone control really goes from creamy to raunchy, which I really hadn't noticed on the Custom.
Over all an amazing guitar for 349. Just all around classic tele, looks feel and sound. I have pics of the pair of them together and they look pretty good. I am glad I bought it now for sure.
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a392/Stewz/P6140059.jpg
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a392/Stewz/P6140060.jpg
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a392/Stewz/P6140062.jpg
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a392/Stewz/P6140068.jpg
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a392/Stewz/P6140061.jpg

NWBasser
June 14th, 2011, 11:03 AM
Very nice.

Happy New Guitar Day!

Tig
June 14th, 2011, 11:50 AM
Wow, the wood grain looks much better than they showed on the Squier website. Congratulations!
:AOK

Monkus
June 14th, 2011, 11:57 AM
very very sweet!! Congrats!!!!

R_of_G
June 14th, 2011, 12:05 PM
Congrats!
It's a beautiful guitar.
I hope it brings you many years of happiness.

Blaze
June 14th, 2011, 12:07 PM
Gorgeous one Z .. I love butterscotch..Cool !!

ZMAN
June 14th, 2011, 01:03 PM
Thanks guys. I guess now I will have to learn some country blues songs LOL. Maybe a little bit of Albert Collins.
I think he had a mini hum in his neck position though.
Apparently that only got one in and he kept it for me.
One more pic.
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a392/Stewz/P6140063.jpg

MAXIFUNK
June 14th, 2011, 01:49 PM
UGH looking at those pics are making it real hard for me not to pull the trigger and get one to add to my collection.

ZMAN
June 14th, 2011, 03:00 PM
To tell the truth, I was looking for a Tele two years ago. I tried everyone I could get my hands on and the only one that was even close was a 2000 dollar 52 reissue and it had a 7.5 radius. I thought the Custom was just the best one I had tried up until now. The maple board just MAKES it a tele. I never really tried the blonde one, because I was holding out for a Butterscotch. The difference from the White Bonde one is that this one has the Alnico 5s instead of the A3s. A little more punch.

sunvalleylaw
June 14th, 2011, 06:18 PM
Wow, the wood grain looks much better than they showed on the Squier website. Congratulations!
:AOK

A classic pine look under a clearish finish. Our window sills and surrounds are mostly pine (some hem fir too to save money), and I like that pine grain look. You are tweaking my inner Springsteen with those pics, but I think I am fine with mine that matches your other very nice tele sitting there next to that one. Largely because I have a nice single coil maple board guitar, and am really enjoying this RW board tele. But a hearty congrats!! I am glad you are liking the B Blonde CV so far!

Spudman
June 14th, 2011, 07:50 PM
So which neck do you like the shape and feel of the best?

msteeln
June 14th, 2011, 08:23 PM
And they wonder why we NEED yet another guitar...

Duffy
June 14th, 2011, 10:06 PM
I played the butterscotch CV tele today thru a Fender Mustang IV with twin Celestion Seventy/80 speakers on the metal 2000 and Deluxe amp settings.

This guitar felt great and sounded great. I liked all the switch positions and the neck pickups was very nice. The bridge pickup was probably just as nice but brighter of course. I rocked that rig out and was really pleased with it.

The guitar is beautiful without a doubt and feels super great.

The Mustang IV twin was very impressive as well. I really like that amp and it impresses me way more than the Christmas tree Vyper vibe and seems even superior to the Vox valvetronix amps. I wouldn't even mind getting the Mustang V amp head. This amp has a lot of great tones and is easy to use and doesn't sound too digital according to quite a few people. Evidently Fender did something right here again.

Congrats on the great butterscotch telecaster.

ZMAN
June 15th, 2011, 05:35 AM
So which neck do you like the shape and feel of the best?
I haven't played it enough to really say. There are a lot of factors. On the BB I went up to 10s from 9s on the custom, and I haven't tweaked the string height yet. It is still a little high for me. I do like the feel of a Maple Board. They are about the same shape, with medium Jumbos, so not a lot of difference.

sunvalleylaw
June 15th, 2011, 07:29 AM
I still have the 9's on my CVC. I have not switched to 10s, and was thinking about trying that in between set just because. It has been nice to have the ease of play allowed by the 9s on this tele. I would be interested in what you think as you play the two more, to see what differences you notice due to the difference in strings, and otherwise. Thanks for your continued "product research"! :AOK

ZMAN
June 15th, 2011, 02:22 PM
I still have the 9's on my CVC. I have not switched to 10s, and was thinking about trying that in between set just because. It has been nice to have the ease of play allowed by the 9s on this tele. I would be interested in what you think as you play the two more, to see what differences you notice due to the difference in strings, and otherwise. Thanks for your continued "product research"! :AOK
I have been moving up progessively from 9 to 9.5s to 10s on a a lot of my guitars. I am finiding the 10 ands above seem to ring better. They don['t bend as easy as the 9s but I think my technique is just getting better.
I will lower the strings a mm and then see how they feel.
I have two Deluxe Strats in Blue and White and I have 9s on one and 10s ont he other and I really like the tone from the 10s.
I will let you know what my finidings are with the Tele.

ZMAN
June 16th, 2011, 11:11 AM
I have been moving up progessively from 9 to 9.5s to 10s on a a lot of my guitars. I am finiding the 10 ands above seem to ring better. They don['t bend as easy as the 9s but I think my technique is just getting better.
I will lower the strings a mm and then see how they feel.
I have two Deluxe Strats in Blue and White and I have 9s on one and 10s ont he other and I really like the tone from the 10s.
I will let you know what my finidings are with the Tele.
I finally found the allen key to adjust the bridge saddles on the Tele. I took them down each one turn. I now have 3mm to the top of the string on the Bass side and 1+mm on the treble side.
Both of my guitars are the same. I really like a low action. The 10s seem to hold their twang more at this level than the 9s.
Of course I don't know if a lot of tele guys like them this low.
I just can't get over how sweet this guitar looks and feels. I had an extra molded plastic Fender case with the black interior and it looks really sweet in there.
I would say if you are looking for a classic tele look and feel I would recommend this guitar. It would save you about 1400 dollars.