PDA

View Full Version : Speaker wattage ratings

Tone2TheBone
November 21st, 2006, 09:16 AM
ToT's thread got me thinking about something. Everyone talks about being careful to match amp output to speaker power handling rating. Ok. But how do things work when Eddie's crankin' his 100 watt Marshall heads through 4x12 cabs filled with 25 watt Green Backs? How do I get away with crankin' my Jubie through my 25 watt GBs? Or my Vintage 30s? I've always thought that the magic speakers were low wattage ones spanked with high power. Sounds like it to me. I've yet to blow a Celestion Green Back. Do any of you smart guys have some knowledge in this area? :)

Plank_Spanker
November 21st, 2006, 09:26 AM
But how do things work when Eddie's crankin' his 100 watt Marshall heads through 4x12 cabs filled with 25 watt Green Backs? How do I get away with crankin' my Jubie through my 25 watt GBs? Or my Vintage 30s? I've always thought that the magic speakers were low wattage ones spanked with high power. Sounds like it to me. I've yet to blow a Celestion Green Back. Do any of you smart guys have some knowledge in this area? :)

Without a bunch of "tech speak", that 100 watt input is spread across four 25 watt Greenbacks in that cab. They're each effectively taking 25 watts. Since they're operating at the top of their rating, they'll break up without blowing.......................................most of the time. :D

The Vintage 30 is misleading model name. They're rated at 60 watts and not known for their breakup qualities like the Greenbacks are.

Tone2TheBone
November 21st, 2006, 09:29 AM
Hey dude that makes sense. Thank you for esplanin' dat!