PDA

View Full Version : NYC Cracks Down on Street Musicians

R_of_G
June 15th, 2011, 10:08 AM
This saddens me.

Street musicians are one of the things that makes Manhattan special.

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2011/06/12/new-york-plans-to-drive-street-musicians-out-of-central-park/

New York plans to drive street musicians out of Central Park

NEW YORK — Few instruments can be gentler than the harp, but authorities in New York's Central Park have branded street musicians like harpist Meta Epstein a public disturbance and want them driven out.

A new campaign to enforce eight "quiet zones," including in some of the city's most hallowed spots for street performers, is turning virtuosos like Epstein into outlaws.

After years of being left in peace to perform her baroque repertoire on the beautiful, golden instrument, Epstein, 59, says she's suddenly being treated as a menace.

Park police, she said, accused her of destroying the grass where she sat and ordered her to move on.

"They say we're responsible for the bare patch but then you see people everywhere playing soccer with boots and cleats," she said in bewilderment. "They were actually pretty nasty and I'm not used to police intimidation. It's basically putting us out of work."

Nearby in the mosaic-lined colonnades next to Bethesda Fountain, a few brave souls performed Mozart and Gospel songs in defiance of the ban.

The columned arcade is not just a prime tourist spot, but enjoys some of the best acoustics in New York outside of a concert hall, leaving the last note of each song hanging in the air. But the musicians, including a Japanese singer, a Ukrainian double bass player and singer John Boyd, said playing timeless music hadn't saved them from the crackdown.

Boyd, a 48-year-old with a powerful, deep voice, pulled eight pink sheets from his pocket -- park police summonses handed out over the last two weeks for fines ranging from $50 to $350.

"I've been ticketed and arrested because I wouldn't stop singing," he said. "My life has been devastated by this."

Central Park representatives say they have nothing against musicians. They just want don't want them in "quiet zones," which have been marked with new, shiny green and white signs.

Park spokeswoman Vickie Karp said the zones include the Bethesda Fountain area, Shakespeare Garden, Sheep Meadow and Strawberry Fields, the living memorial to the Beatles' John Lennon, who was murdered nearby.

"For every protester supporting music or loud noise without limits, there are thousands of park visitors who come to parks looking for peace and quiet," Karp said in an email.

"Parks are one of the few places you can come and hear the soothing sounds of nature: bird songs, falling water, the wind in the leaves, human conversation."

Karp pointed out that musical performances at Bethesda Fountain can attract crowds of as many as hundreds of people. Some weekends, the sound reverberates across the boating pond and into the carefully preserved, dense woodland of The Ramble.

"It is not that we are against music. It is that we are for quiet," Karp said.

Musicians say that logic doesn't justify the expulsion of classical singers and string instrument players, whose melodies, if anything, are more soothing than the noise of tourist crowds.

Arlen Oleson, 56, who plays the hammer dulcimer, noted that huge concerts for rock bands are organized in Central Park, bringing tens of thousands of people to trample the grass and mammoth speakers to pump out mega-decibel music.

"It's a galling hypocrisy," he said.

The street musicians have gotten some high-profile help in the last week.

Norman Siegel, a prominent civil rights lawyer, has taken up their cause and Boyd said the attorney was helping him try to escape punishment.

Geoffrey Croft, the founder of NYC Park Advocates, which supports city parks, has also jumped in, calling the issue "absurd."

"As long as there's been a park system people have been playing music in parks," he told AFP. "They're claiming people are complaining, but who's complaining?"

The clampdown appeared to mystify tourists, some of whom come specifically to Bethesda Fountain to hear the free, impromptu concerts.

Tourist Zita Misley, a mother of three, said she'd noticed the "quiet zone" sign nearby, but hadn't quite got the point.

"Oh, I thought they put 'quiet zone' so that we could listen to the music!" she said when told of the park's campaign.

sunvalleylaw
June 15th, 2011, 02:10 PM
That is a tough one. I see the hypocrisy with large concerts, but those are scheduled events. I was discussing with my brother the need for city dwellers to connect with nature, and we discussed Central Park, as he had just returned from a NYC trip. Tough issue, because the rights of one person to express themselves in a public place intersect with the needs of others to find a place to simply hear birds. Given that NYC has very few places for that, not an easy question. I love street musicians too.

R_of_G
June 15th, 2011, 02:18 PM
Tough issue, because the rights of one person to express themselves in a public place intersect with the needs of others to find a place to simply hear birds. Given that NYC has very few places for that, not an easy question. I love street musicians too.

I could see this applying to smaller parks in smaller cities but Central Park is large enough to accommodate those who want to hear birds and those who want to hear a street musician cover the Byrds.

Tig
June 15th, 2011, 02:20 PM
Who's next, New Orleans???
Noooo!
http://markweinguitarlessons.com/forums/images/smilies/339sths.gif

R_of_G
June 15th, 2011, 02:36 PM
Who's next, New Orleans???
Noooo!
http://markweinguitarlessons.com/forums/images/smilies/339sths.gif

It's already happening there.

I was listening to a commentary track from Treme that was done by Wendell Pierce (who plays Antoine).

Pierce is a New Orleans native and was saying that post-Katrina many people have bought property in neighborhoods like the Quarter for the investment and complain to police that the street musicians are playing too loud or too late or too early, terms that should not exist when discussing brass bands in the French Quarter.

sunvalleylaw
June 15th, 2011, 02:39 PM
I could see this applying to smaller parks in smaller cities but Central Park is large enough to accommodate those who want to hear birds and those who want to hear a street musician cover the Byrds.

I was hoping that was the case, but have not been there to see the layout. When I read about the gathering places creating noise that floated to other places that were not intended for gathering, I wondered.

As far as New Orleans goes, that just smacks of moving to the airport and complaining about the airplanes. As New Orleans depends on that history for tourism, I hope the authorities dismiss the complaints about music in the areas that have traditionally had such out of hand.

Tig
June 15th, 2011, 02:46 PM
It's already happening there.

I was listening to a commentary track from Treme that was done by Wendell Pierce (who plays Antoine).

Pierce is a New Orleans native and was saying that post-Katrina many people have bought property in neighborhoods like the Quarter for the investment and complain to police that the street musicians are playing too loud or too late or too early, terms that should not exist when discussing brass bands in the French Quarter.

Nooooo!

Similar to the topless thread, it is permissible on Bourbon Street to show 'em off, but don't try that at other locations in NO, including the non-Bourbon St. parades.

Spudman
June 15th, 2011, 08:10 PM
Time to get rid of some policy makers I say.

otaypanky
June 17th, 2011, 08:01 AM
Nooooo!

Similar to the topless thread, it is permissible on Bourbon Street to show 'em off, but don't try that at other locations in NO, including the non-Bourbon St. parades.

And it's always ok at my house in case Bourbon St gets too crowded

I kind of side with the ban in some ways. They're not banning musicians everywhere in the park, only the 'Quiet Zones'. That seems reasonable. I would assume that Central Park is large enough that certain areas of the park could be designated for the street musicians to perform without penalty. If they took in to account the natural sound barriers of trees and vegetation they could probably keep the sound localized

sunvalleylaw
June 17th, 2011, 08:22 AM
Otaypanky, that seems to be a reasonable solution, and maybe what they are trying to do. I guess the trick is to find the spots. if a gathering place where music is common is also across a pond that bounces sound over to a quiet grove, that is the tricky part.

otaypanky
June 17th, 2011, 08:38 AM
I guess I can relate because I remember times when I would go fishing, camping, or hiking and look forward to the sounds of nature, only to discover I would be sharing the great outdoors with a loud boombox or obnoxiously loud group of people.
Even here at my home, we are in a some what rural area and we have woods with owls and all kinds of birds. It's really very pleasant to be working outside and hear it all. But there's a field nearby where guys go to fly their RC planes. I know they love 'em as much as we love our guitars, but when they get going, they will fly all afternoon. They have some pretty hopped up engines so they sound like flying chain saws. Waaaa waaaa waaaaa as they climb and dive
I often think if I were to sneak up to the edge of the field with my Remington 12 gauge it would be kind of like skeet shooting :rolleyes:

It boils down to the fact that people seldom complain from the noise of their own party, whatever it happens to be
With 7 billion people on the planet and growing exponentially, it will be increasingly more difficult to find peace and quiet

sunvalleylaw
June 17th, 2011, 08:43 AM
Ultimately, will we all have to plug into the Matrix to get there?

Eric
June 17th, 2011, 08:56 AM
It boils down to the fact that people seldom complain from the noise of their own party, whatever it happens to be
Yup. When I am expecting to get away from everyone and I end up not being able to do so, it's usually really discouraging and frustrating to me. I think there's something in us that occasionally wants to disconnect from everyone and everything.

Katastrophe
June 17th, 2011, 09:31 AM
I had a highly sarcastic response planned to this, but deleted it. So, I'll be direct.

This is crap.

It's convenient to go after street musicians, who, by definition, are unorganized and are easy to kick around.

sunvalleylaw
June 17th, 2011, 10:41 AM
I had a highly sarcastic response planned to this, but deleted it. So, I'll be direct.

This is crap.

It's convenient to go after street musicians, who, by definition, are unorganized and are easy to kick around.

That was my first reaction too. It just gets harder when you consider the lack of quiet space in New York City.

omegadot
June 17th, 2011, 10:45 AM
This does seem to be one of those lower on the list deals. I have never lived in the city, so the glamour of street musicians is probably more significant to me.