PDA

View Full Version : Zuiko 50mm macro lens portrait

Robert
June 16th, 2011, 09:40 AM
Took this last night, just an experiment. Using the self-timer feature on my Olympus E-510. The lens is a 50mm macro lens, f/2.8. It is very good!

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2479/5839742448_2fb69c897e_z.jpg

Ch0jin
June 16th, 2011, 08:35 PM
I'd like this a lot more without the guitar, but I'll get back to that. Everything else is excellent, the lighting, the DoF, composition and especially the B&W conversion. I'm looking at this on a laptop right now so not the best screen, but if you were intending to print it, I'd experiment with adding a pinch more contrast and USM maybe, but overall excellent job.

The guitar neck though is a little jarring to my eye. I find it pulls my attention away from your face, probably due to the high contrast and sharp focus, and that makes for slightly unpleasant viewing as we (humans) are hard coded to look at faces so I end up kind of oscillating back and forward between the guitar and your face rather than resting on your face.

Just a thought, but perhaps you could try positioning the guitar behind you and to the left and I'd much prefer having the guitar 'anchored' a little better by including the headstock. Positioning it behind you and using the same aperture would of course render it quite out of focus, but it would be much easier on the eye and the image still tells the same story.

I am being VERY picky here, and as I said before, it's an excellent shot. I just thought I'd try and offer something constructive.

Robert
June 16th, 2011, 08:46 PM
Great feedback thanks!!

How about this cropped version?

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2653/5840683256_1d3ac95ae9_z.jpg

Bookkeeper's Son
June 16th, 2011, 09:17 PM
Next up: Anthony Weiner

Ch0jin
June 16th, 2011, 11:04 PM
Great feedback thanks!!

How about this cropped version?

I actually prefer the first version. For some reason the full version seems to be a little more flattering.

The guitar neck still feels out of place to me. Like it could have just been dropped in with photoshop. Positioning yourself to the left hand side of the frame as you have is an excellent compositional idea, but I feel the image would benefit more from the negative space than it does from the inclusion of the guitar.

It's a pity I don't have PS at work otherwise I'd just show you what I mean :)

It's still a great shot. As I said before, it ticks pretty much every box in my list for a good B&W facial portrait. Anyway, I know there are a bunch of guys on here who can confidently wield a camera, so lets see what everyone else thinks.

Eric
June 17th, 2011, 09:16 AM
Next up: Anthony Weiner
Nooooooo!!!!!! I don't want to see any of those 'portraits'...

Robert
June 17th, 2011, 09:21 AM
What are you guys talking about?

Eric
June 17th, 2011, 09:29 AM
What are you guys talking about?
I think this should cover it:
http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/world/2011/0617/1224299071083.html

Spudman
June 17th, 2011, 04:13 PM
A little Photoshop to soften the lines around the eyes and you'll have a real nice promo portrait. I know the lines show character, but we are trying to sell you here. With lines we'd have to give you away to the little kids. Without lines...the chaquitas will be lining up for blocks. :dude

Robert
June 17th, 2011, 04:23 PM
Yeah I look too rugged for my own good...:spank

syo
June 17th, 2011, 10:38 PM
I like this alot. I vote for the rugged, unphotoshopped look. You have no need for chiquitas lining up in your neighborhood or anywhere else for that matter...

sunvalleylaw
June 17th, 2011, 11:09 PM
Keep the lines.

"All that is gold does not glitter,. . ."

Robert
June 18th, 2011, 11:22 AM
Here's a photoshopped version - any better? I don't get any prettier than that... ;)

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3601/5845406951_a500882c3b_z.jpg

syo
June 19th, 2011, 06:15 AM
Here's a photoshopped version - any better? I don't get any prettier than that... ;)

Maybe too pretty for me Robert. The original looks like a real, self-assured human being. It's very personal. This one looks like it might be suitable as an author shot for a self-help book. In all of them though, you do exhibit good photographic/PS skills. Well done!

sunvalleylaw
June 19th, 2011, 08:41 AM
I'm with Syo. If I had not seen the original, maybe I would not have noticed, but the modded one still has that "glamour shot" feel about it. I prefer the original.

Spudman
June 19th, 2011, 11:47 AM
I'm all for the doctored photo. The black to white ratio is better as well. It works better as a promo shot IMHO.