PDA

View Full Version : A trilogy re: Two-amp rigs and "mini-stacks"

Brian Krashpad
June 16th, 2011, 10:26 AM
Although when it comes to amps and effects I tend to have both feet planted firmly in the KISS (keep it simple, stupid!) camp, of late I've been experimenting a bit. I suppose arguably the genesis of my interest in not simply having a single combo only (or, alternately, not having a traditional head and 4x12 halfstack) can be traced back to the '90's when I got my '66 Fender Super Reverb.

Which might be confusing, given that Super Reverbs are in fact combo amps, and with 40W of tube power into 4 tens, put out more stage volume than anyone this side of SRV would ever need, without the necessity of a second amp or an extension cab. By odd serendipity, however, my particular Super had been cut in half by a prior owner, making it into a 2x10 combo with a 2x10 extension cab. Since I generally needed all 4 tens to keep up with our other guitarist's Marshall halfstack, however, in general the odd configuration of my Super didn't get me thinking about combining amps or using different extension cabs with combo amps. I just always used the amp as a mini-stack of 2x10 combo + 2x10 extension cab, as can be seen on the right below (I am practicing levitating in the pic):

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v26/BrianKrashpad/redcrossSDBKair.jpg

One time we had a gig that I played despite being sick as a dog. Rather than lug the whole Super, I just used the top 2x10 combo half, setting it up on a chair. It was still plenty loud even without the extension 2x10. That should've got my mind to thinking about more options, but at the time I didn't have very many other amps and cabs, my only other rig being an old Kustom head and 1x15 cab. While 2 tens and a 15 is a pretty common bass rig combination, it never really occurred to me to try that for guitar, and probably might've been excessive anyhow.

It took some additional gear purchases to get me to exploring more possibilities. That'll be in my next post!

Brian Krashpad
June 16th, 2011, 10:27 AM
I decided to "retire" the Super mini-stack from gigging, as it was getting pretty raggedy. My first purchase was a Sovtek "Tube Midget" head, which I then paired with the aforementioned Kustom 1x15 cab (on right below):

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v26/BrianKrashpad/101502BKleanBack.jpg

Subsequently, I did get a 4x12 and used the Sovtek head with that cab. For whatever reason, I hadn't thought to use the Sovtek with the 2x10 extension bottom cab of the Super. However, eventually I got another cab, a DIY 2x12 (made from a couple Celestions put into a gutted combo amp box), and another head, a '60's Sunn 200S. These additions allowed for all sorts of odd permutations, such as the Sovtek with the 2x12, set vert (great for a cramped stage!):

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v26/BrianKrashpad/Celestion2x12.jpg

Or the Sunn with the same cab:

http://c2.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/79/l_3bb53bfbb7da950d9b088f9c216fe949.jpg

Or the Sunn with the Kustom:

http://c1.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/13/l_08a2e5fc81a5833b71b6a0607ef5feec.jpg

Although I could still gig a traditonal 4x12 halfstack with either the Sovtek or Sunn heads, the 1x15 and 2x12 cabs gave me a lot more options for when I didn't want to "go big" for whatever reason. And once, for a special occasion, I took the Super out of retirement and gigged the top half (2x10 combo) with the 2x12 open-back cab, you can see it peaking out behind me here. The combination of the meatier 12's on the bottom and the middier 10's on top was really sweet:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v26/BrianKrashpad/HHMoefest2005018_18.jpg

Next and final installment: smaller combo amps paired with bigger amps/cabs!

Brian Krashpad
June 16th, 2011, 10:28 AM
After my middle-period above "mix and match" phase (all of which options remain available), I began playing in a church that required a small amp lined out to the PA (in my previous church I used a spare Laney 4x12 I left there 24/7, played at low volume un-mic'd). After buying and trying a couple small combo amps that didn't work out, I stumbled across a like-new Super Champ XD in a pawn round the corner from my office, which I was able to score for $175.

I LOVES me that SC XD! The clean channel is great, and I pretty much live on the "Vox" setting of the second channel for dirt. It has a line out which is perfect for my church playing too. Since there are only electronic drums at this church, and all the other instruments go direct to the board, the little single 10" is plenty for my stage monitor.

I liked the sound of the SC XD, and one of my full-kit rock bands had a big upcoming show. One song in particular that we had in the setlist called for delay, and my delay pedal was on the fritz. Rather than go out and buy a new delay pedal for that one song, I realized there was a delay effect on the SC XD I could use. However, the 15w 1x10 SC XD combo wouldn't cut it volume-wise on a big stage with a full-kit drummer.

So, I devised a 2-amp rig. I put the SC XD up close to me, essentially as my guitar monitor, and then lined it out to my Sunn/2x12 rig in the backline. Then I had the house mic the Sunn rig (all amps are mic'd at that venue). It worked a charm! Here's a pic from that show, SC XD off to the right, Sunn rig back behind me (guy w/Tele):

http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/3645/mlc2010015.jpg

Subsequently, our church praise band had an outdoor gig with live drums, and I used the same setup with great results (SC XD to our left, Sunn rig behind me mic'd):

http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/208324_10150169395413879_512618878_6725033_8326332 _n.jpg

Recently I acquired a little 1x12 cab with an 80W mosfet rackmount power amp in it, that had been owned by Charlie Hargrett of the Southern Rock band Blackfoot. I'm thinking of trying to do a mini-stack with it on the bottom, mic'd, and the SC XD on the top (lined out to the mosfet amp). Don't have a pic of that 1x10+1x12 mini-stack yet, but here's the cab I'm thinking of pairing with the SC XD:

http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/249770_10150224596913879_512618878_7226740_1763199 _n.jpg

Anyone else making weird mini-stacks or 2-amp rigs?

Eric
June 16th, 2011, 11:16 AM
I've never owned a separate head or cab, so no. Then again, I've never played a show (unless you consider church guitaring a 'show'), so I'm not sure the situation really would have come up even if I did own the jazz.

Cool stories, nonetheless. It's pretty hard to keep track of amps and cabs in a story if I've never "met" them, if you know what I mean.

Brian Krashpad
June 16th, 2011, 11:53 AM
Cool stories, nonetheless. It's pretty hard to keep track of amps and cabs in a story if I've never "met" them, if you know what I mean.

Oh, I do.

That's why put in pictures. ;)

Katastrophe
June 16th, 2011, 10:37 PM
That MosValve power amph should sound great with the Fender. I had one years ago powering my rack setup and loved it. Essentially, you'll be creating a mini "rack" without the hassles of MIDI, and it'll be super portable to boot! The review on this setup should be a good read.

The only separate cab / head setup that I had was the aforementioned MIDI rig. It took a lot time, button punching, and frustration to get it all dialed in. I went through three different effects processors / preamps to find the one that I liked, that worked with everything. Once I got rid of the cab, it was combos from then on.

That said, I like your approach better. Rather than rework the whole rig, it's evolving as the need arises.

Brian Krashpad
June 17th, 2011, 12:30 PM
That MosValve power amph should sound great with the Fender. I had one years ago powering my rack setup and loved it. Essentially, you'll be creating a mini "rack" without the hassles of MIDI, and it'll be super portable to boot! The review on this setup should be a good read.

The only separate cab / head setup that I had was the aforementioned MIDI rig. It took a lot time, button punching, and frustration to get it all dialed in. I went through three different effects processors / preamps to find the one that I liked, that worked with everything. Once I got rid of the cab, it was combos from then on.

That said, I like your approach better. Rather than rework the whole rig, it's evolving as the need arises.

Yeah, basically my rig just sort of "happens" as a combination of what I need at the time and what cool stuff I stumble upon that are also good deals (or what's laying around Casa Krashpad or my office). It's rare I'm actually "looking" for something. The last time that happened was with the current church gig, and even that was a process of about a year of just keeping an eye out for small amps on the local market at good prices. I bought and sold 2 other small amphs before I found the SC XD.

The weird MosValve cab was total happenstance, I just bought it because they seller was practically giving it away to be rid of it. It originally came with a second matching 12" cab, and I figured I could probably sell the cab alone for more than what I paid for the whole set. In fact, I turned a $70 profit PLUS essentially got the mosfet "combo" for free!

In addition to the ludicrous deal, I've always thought it cool to have pieces formerly owned by other people on the local Gainesville scene. My Ric was previously owned by two different guys, both of whom would be known to knowledgeable fans of local original music. I have a Jazz bass similarly previously owned by someone (almost universally referred to as "Crazy Ryan") somewhat infamous on the local scene (reportedly, he "went off his meds" and made a threatening telephone call to one George Dubya, after which he spent some time as a guest of the United States' federal bureau of prisons). The bass was sold when his friends were raising money for him during his unfortunate incarceration. I have a bass case previously owned by the relatively famous punk band "Against Me!," and in it I keep a P-bass I bought off a guy who was an early member of the Cali goth-punk band Neurosis (in addition to being in a half-dozen or so local early punk/new wave bands, 2 which I was also in). So this MosValve from a local Southern Rocker in the relatively famous band Blackfoot is a cool addition in itself, and the fact that I can pair it with the SC XD is just extra gravy!

Have I mentioned how blessed I am to be a musician living in Gainesville? Yes I am!

NWBasser
June 17th, 2011, 03:05 PM
Very interesting and cool setups there Brian.

I have a 3-phase bass system. Three different cabs powered by one Genz Benz Shuttle amp head.

For home use and casual jamming with people, I'll use either one of my 112 (Hartke or Bergantino) cabs as a grab-n-go solution.

I can pair them up for playing with full band in small bars, etc.

For big sound, I just got an Avatar TB153 3-way bass cab with a 15", a 6", and tweeter. The 15 is very different from most 15-inch drivers. It's the Eminence 3015LF with an exceptional x-max (maximum displacement) and handles the lowest frequencies with great authority. The 6 takes care of the mids and highs are, of course, routed to the tweeter. I keep at the band's practice space and don't have any pics just yet.

I'll say though that the TB153 is an absolute monster of a cab and has a very focused low-end that sounds deep without getting boomy. I used it on last Saturday's gig and it really filled the place nicely.

NWBasser
June 17th, 2011, 03:09 PM
[QUOTE=Brian Krashpad;209053]

QUOTE]

That Yamaha PA cab looming over your SCXD looks like quite a large side-fill monitor!!

Brian Krashpad
June 17th, 2011, 10:22 PM
[QUOTE=Brian Krashpad;209053]

QUOTE]

That Yamaha PA cab looming over your SCXD looks like quite a large side-fill monitor!!

Yeah, they have a kick-*** PA there. It's closing in 2 weeks. :( I'll be at a show there tomorrow night, 2 different bands with ex-bandmates will be playing.