PDA

View Full Version : Apple to 'ban iPhone gig filming'

Perfect Stranger
June 16th, 2011, 11:37 AM
Apple to 'ban iPhone gig filming'

:thwap What's next?

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/3641676/Apple-to-ban-iPhone-gig-filming.html

Robert
June 16th, 2011, 11:52 AM
That is interesting. I've been thinking about how artists' handle all the video footage from concerts. There's so many bad sounding clips on youtube... it's not even worth listening to most of the time.

I guess people might switch phones? Or bring a small Canon/Panasonic camcorder to a show?

R_of_G
June 16th, 2011, 11:55 AM
Perhaps the artists should realize they're not losing a dime with all the YouTube videos.

If anything, they're probably getting more people interested in their shows and music by exposing more people to their live shows this way.

Of course, it's not the artists who are having a fit about this, it's the promoters who can't see further than today's money pile.

I'm rather disgusted with Apple for going along with this. I'd have told the promoters to wake up and smell the possibilities of the 21st century.

Eric
June 16th, 2011, 12:11 PM
I was wondering why Apple would really give a crap whether people used their iphones for concert footage, but the reason is in there:

Apple filed for the patent 18 months ago — and it is thought if successful it will help them negotiate deals with record labels to sell content through iTunes.

More of the same, huh? I agree with you, R_of_G, but this just continues a very unsurprising trend. For Apple's sake, I hope they figure out that their "power" is only power if they give people what they want -- I'm reminded of Gail Wynand and The Banner.

sunvalleylaw
June 16th, 2011, 12:17 PM
Grr. Makes me want to go back to the 90's Pearl Jam protests of Ticketmaster. Dang promoters! And I am disappointed in Apple for going along. So how is the software going to tell if it is a protected event with rights, or a cool back alley or club type jam where there are no promoters concerned about rights? Just stoopid in my opinion.

R_of_G
June 16th, 2011, 12:43 PM
So how is the software going to tell if it is a protected event with rights, or a cool back alley or club type jam where there are no promoters concerned about rights? Just stoopid in my opinion.

I wondered that as well at first, but I suppose if the thing is going to run on some kind of sensor that detects a signal sent by equipment run by the venue/promoter this will take care of that question. The small venue shows will continue to show up on YouTube and since the vast majority of people I want to see don't play stadiums or arenas, I won't care too much other than to resent Apple for going along with this.

poodlesrule
June 16th, 2011, 01:15 PM
I just read more details about it at BoinBoing.
It appears this is just a patent application from Apple, just in case that could become a feature generating money. Maybe. Some evil thinkers envision a goverment agency disabling phones on demand... when convenient!

General opinion seems to be that the IR sensing is likely done through the camera chip, which you cannot cover up if you want picture.

sunvalleylaw
June 16th, 2011, 01:22 PM
http://historyrat.wordpress.com/2010/01/23/pearl-jam-and-ticketmaster-an-epic-battle-for-control-that-changed-a-band/

This is the kind of stuff that occurred that makes things like this software happen. It appears that the promoters won back when this whole ticketmaster thing went down and the feds decided not to do anything about it. Like R_of_G, I don't typically go to big shows, but still.

Perfect Stranger
June 16th, 2011, 01:59 PM
It's kind of like buying a car and the car maker telling you which roads you can and can't ride on.
And what would stop crooked policemen, or for that matter...regular old crooks from carrying
an IR signal so that they can't be videoed? Just one more step for big brother....