If so, Joe Naylor has an idea for you:

http://www.neckheavy.com/

http://www.neckheavy.com/axe_balancer/images/homepage/before_after_520w.jpg

Eric
June 16th, 2011, 02:36 PM
Or you could add a Bigsby!

Ch0jin
June 16th, 2011, 06:42 PM
H'mm, My cheapo bass is massively neck heavy, but a $40 is a lot to pay for a chunk of metal to balance out a $50 bass ;) I like Eric's idea though. My bass would rock with a bigsby :)

Tig
June 16th, 2011, 08:50 PM
V i a g r a for your guitar?
:dance

Bookkeeper's Son
June 16th, 2011, 09:16 PM
Helium balloons attached to the headstock?

Eric
June 16th, 2011, 09:37 PM
V i a g r a for your guitar?
:dance
I was wondering what that word was. Apparently it's a no-no?

otaypanky
June 17th, 2011, 07:45 AM
A few years ago I was anxiously awaiting a Tele that was coming from Ron Kirn. It arrived with a really fat maple neck and a body made of super light weight palownia. I had made a nice 50's style strap for but as soon as I strapped it on I realized how neck heavy it was. But switching to a wide strap that had a bit of 'grip' on the underside cured the problem

marnold
June 17th, 2011, 08:06 AM
A guy I know up here who has been playing longer than I've been alive did that but for a different reason. A Tele he had had no sustain. He said it sounded like a banjo. So he routed a space near the body-end strap lock and added a big hunk of brass. It did the trick--also made it weigh a ton.

Tig
June 17th, 2011, 10:38 AM
A guy I know up here who has been playing longer than I've been alive did that but for a different reason. A Tele he had had no sustain. He said it sounded like a banjo. So he routed a space near the body-end strap lock and added a big hunk of brass. It did the trick--also made it weigh a ton.

I sure hope it wasn't a pre-CBS Tele! :cry:

The well made wide strap is the best fix, IMO.

Eric
June 17th, 2011, 11:15 AM
A few years ago I was anxiously awaiting a Tele that was coming from Ron Kirn. It arrived with a really fat maple neck and a body made of super light weight palownia. I had made a nice 50's style strap for but as soon as I strapped it on I realized how neck heavy it was. But switching to a wide strap that had a bit of 'grip' on the underside cured the problem
I have a strap right now with a suede-ish texture that really grabs my shirt and won't let go. To be honest, I kind of prefer straps that I can slide around, but I suppose that does require a balanced guitar.

All of that is to say that I agree with your solution. Now I just need to get me a neck-heavy guitar to put it to use!

marnold
June 17th, 2011, 01:06 PM
I sure hope it wasn't a pre-CBS Tele! :cry:

The well made wide strap is the best fix, IMO.
I don't know what the vintage was, but I know it was beat up when he got it. My guess would be that it wasn't. Anyway, he stripped it and it was like the poly was the only thing that gave it any sustain. One of his favorites now.

I tried the strap route with a bass back in the day, but since I usually played while wearing a t-shirt, the strap would still dive with the neck. It would just take my t-shirt with it. Hated neck dive ever since. Hated that bass actually--worst buy evar.

Eric
June 17th, 2011, 01:25 PM
I tried the strap route with a bass back in the day, but since I usually played while wearing a t-shirt, the strap would still dive with the neck. It would just take my t-shirt with it. Hated neck dive ever since. Hated that bass actually--worst buy evar.
I can see that happening if I actually had a neck-heavy guitar. Is this your old Peavey P-bass you're talking about? I thought you liked that thing.

marnold
June 17th, 2011, 01:36 PM
Is this your old Peavey P-bass you're talking about? I thought you liked that thing.
Nope. I loved my old Peavey. Dumbest sale evar. (<- Note the "leet" spelling)

It was my first bass, a P-bass. I don't even remember what brand it was. It wasn't a well-known brand, that's for sure. The body was plywood and weighed a ton but it STILL had neck-dive. I've got a really old picture from college of me playing it, but I can't make out the manufacturer's name. The headstock looks vaguely like a B.C. Rich and has Fender-esque clover-shaped tuners. I replaced the stock pickup with an EMG Select in a vain effort to make it not sound like crap. I remember it was a Sunday afternoon when I got it and the only place that was open was the Music Center. The only guitars and basses they had were low-end off-brands. If I had been the least bit patient and waited until the next day, I could have gotten a far better bass at a far better store. Live and learn.

Later, since I was a dirt-poor college student, I had to convince my parents to let me use their credit card to get my Peavey, which I dutifully paid off with interest. Seems to me it cost me between $250-$300 which was a LOT of money for me back in '88 or so. It had a nice, light, poplar body. Despite the light body there was no neck dive at all. Thought I had died and gone to heaven. It was kind of bright for a P-bass, but that suited me fine. That was nothing that a Duncan Quarter-Pounder wouldn't have fixed anyway, if I cared to swap it out.

It looked just like the one in this thread (http://forums.peavey.com/viewtopic.php?p=18973&sid=de67929f7f94001f82ad26b286016917#p18973), except that it was red.

Tig
June 17th, 2011, 01:58 PM
I tried the strap route with a bass back in the day, but since I usually played while wearing a t-shirt, the strap would still dive with the neck. It would just take my t-shirt with it.

You just needed to wear something different.
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4059/4336474048_292ba134bd_o.jpghttp://farm3.static.flickr.com/2533/3928865992_371fd42806_o.jpg

NWBasser
June 17th, 2011, 04:17 PM
Nope. I loved my old Peavey. Dumbest sale evar. (<- Note the "leet" spelling)

Later, since I was a dirt-poor college student, I had to convince my parents to let me use their credit card to get my Peavey, which I dutifully paid off with interest. Seems to me it cost me between $250-$300 which was a LOT of money for me back in '88 or so. It had a nice, light, poplar body. Despite the light body there was no neck dive at all. Thought I had died and gone to heaven. It was kind of bright for a P-bass, but that suited me fine. That was nothing that a Duncan Quarter-Pounder wouldn't have fixed anyway, if I cared to swap it out.

It looked just like the one in this thread (http://forums.peavey.com/viewtopic.php?p=18973&sid=de67929f7f94001f82ad26b286016917#p18973), except that it was red.

I may be a bit daft, but I'd go for a Fury over an actual P-bass any day.

They were very well made and superbly nice basses.

I saw one rather cheap a bit ago, but I have no room for more basses.

kiteman
June 19th, 2011, 07:56 AM
Move the strap button to the tip of the horn. There problem solved. :dance