PDA

View Full Version : Amalia on train tracks

Robert
June 16th, 2011, 10:35 PM
How's this one? I just like black and white so much!

She is so great as a subject too. Always cheerful and happy to pose!

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3477/5841516598_1bb67726c7_z.jpg

syo
June 16th, 2011, 11:02 PM
Very nice! Might be nice to play with the crop too. To me, it can work well with Amalia centered (dead center) or maybe with her way to the left of the frame.

Ch0jin
June 16th, 2011, 11:33 PM
Awesome! You are getting some very nice looking tones in your B&W. Are you converting to B&W in PS or something, or is that in-camera conversion?

I've seen many photo's that have been converted to greyscale or desaturated in camera (or in post) to make them look "Arty". This shot doesn't feel like that at all, it looks like it was always intended to be B&W.

The lighting of this shot is stellar! I would not be at all surprised to learn you had a couple of assistants with reflectors out of frame here the lighting is so good.

Composition wise I'm happy with it as is. The way the tracks curve away to the right helps a lot with the wider crop. If the tracks ran dead straight I'd be tempted to crop as SYO suggested, but at least to my eye it feels nicely balanced.

One critique though. Your horizon is a little tilted. Apart from that, brilliant!

Robert
June 17th, 2011, 07:47 AM
Ahh thanks! My portrait was done monochrome in the camera (Olympus E-510), but with this one, I used Photoshop's black/white adjustment layer feature.

I just drove over the tracks and say hey Amalia, let's do a quick stop here and take a photo of you. Just took a minute. I was lucky with the lighting. I had my stellar macro lens on (Zuiko 50mm), and even though the light was coming from behind, this lens can handle it. It's so good.

Thanks for the feedback!

sunvalleylaw
June 17th, 2011, 08:24 AM
Nice! I like the light effects on her left shoulder and hair. I love B/W photography, and used to do a lot with my old Nikon when I had access to a dark room. I have not tried much with my digital camera. I may wish to get a digital SLR some day.

otaypanky
June 17th, 2011, 11:37 PM
Nice pic Robert and good suggestion the Syo. That too would make a vey interesting composition. 'Kind of making you wonder what's 'down the tracks' as this young child grows up ~

Tig
June 17th, 2011, 11:53 PM
Be careful out there!
http://www.cs.sjsu.edu/web_mater/cs46a/cs46alab/lab4/train.gif