PDA

View Full Version : Best 5(ish) Watt Amp ?

Fretz
June 20th, 2011, 10:50 AM
Hi Folks

I'm on the lookout at the moment for a 5(ish) watt amp that will be good for recording and small practice sessions.
Anybody got any advise/experience with these little amps?

Eric
June 20th, 2011, 11:25 AM
People seem to think highly of the VHT Special 6. I've never tried one, but that's probably where I'd begin my search if I was in your shoes.

FrankenFretter
June 20th, 2011, 01:02 PM
Try a Blackstar HT-5 as well. I love mine. It also has an emulated speaker output for 1 x12 and 4 x 12 cab simulations, which would probably be good for your recording requirements. The models that are supposed to be out soon will also have reverb (mine does not). Two channels, effects loop, and the patented "ISP" (Infinite Shape Feature). Very, very good amp for the money.

Fretz
June 20th, 2011, 03:16 PM
Thanks for the tips, guys.

I was also looking at the Fender Champ 600, but there seems to be some mixed reviews out there!

tunghaichuan
June 20th, 2011, 03:58 PM
Thanks for the tips, guys.

I was also looking at the Fender Champ 600, but there seems to be some mixed reviews out there!

I had one of those, it was one of the earlier ones because it hummed.

That tiny 6" speaker is very shrill and thin sounding. The cabinet is small, so it sounds boxy. A stock Valve Junior sounds better.

If you looking for high gain sounds, the Blackstar or the VHT are good. If you're looking for low gain sounds or plan on using the amp for pedals, the Blackheart Little Giant and Valve Junior are good.

oldguy
June 20th, 2011, 05:50 PM
If you want the "best" I'd say a Swart Space Tone Atomic Jr.

Eric
June 20th, 2011, 05:51 PM
If you want the "best" I'd say a Swart Space Tone Atomic Jr.
I've seen you mention this before, OG. Just out of curiosity, do you own one? They certainly look like they'd be nice.

ZMAN
June 20th, 2011, 06:27 PM
Believe it or not I am going to recommend the Vibro Champ XD. I have everything from 100 Watt Mashall DSL100, to a 65 Deluxe, Blues junior and a Super champ XD. But I always seem to go to the Vibro Champ. You can put it through a 2/12 cab and it still sounds amazing. I can play at extremely high volume levels at home, but the little Vibro with it's Modes and effects just sounds amazing. Flip the switch and dial up what you need.
I got mine for 125 used in mint condtion, and I will never part with it.

Tig
June 20th, 2011, 08:04 PM
The sweetest 5 watts you can buy. ($1200)
http://www.swartamps.com/amplifiers_st-atom.htm (http://www.swartamps.com/amplifiers_st-atom.htm)

bcdon
June 20th, 2011, 10:19 PM
Hi Folks

I'm on the lookout at the moment for a 5(ish) watt amp that will be good for recording and small practice sessions.
Anybody got any advise/experience with these little amps?

Just curious as to why 5 watts is the sweet spot for you? If you want low volume and great sound you don't necessarily
get it with lower wattage. My Marshall Class 5 is really, really loud while my Boggie sounds awesome at the lowest
of volumes in 10, 45, or 90 watt.

oldguy
June 21st, 2011, 04:05 AM
I've seen you mention this before, OG. Just out of curiosity, do you own one? They certainly look like they'd be nice.

Nope...... I convince myself they're too expensive, then look at all the amphs I've bought/sold/traded/kept and wonder why I think that.

I have yet to hear of a member here or elsewhere who bought one and didn't rave about the tone, or who sold it off or traded it, though.

And while videos online can be deceptive, most of the ones I've found sound really sweet if demo'd by a competent person.

Fretz
June 21st, 2011, 05:44 AM
Thanks guys.

The Vox AC4 TV also looks like a pretty good option for the money.

"We have a single 12AX7 in the preamp and a lone EL84 class-A power section. Top whack is four watts, while a three-way power attenuator enables you to pare that down to one watt and – wait for it – 0.25 watts!"

http://www.musicradar.com/gear/all/amplification/instrument-amps/guitar-combo-amps/ac4tv-206144/review

FrankenFretter
June 21st, 2011, 07:19 AM
Thanks guys.

The Vox AC4 TV also looks like a pretty good option for the money.

"We have a single 12AX7 in the preamp and a lone EL84 class-A power section. Top whack is four watts, while a three-way power attenuator enables you to pare that down to one watt and – wait for it – 0.25 watts!"

http://www.musicradar.com/gear/all/amplification/instrument-amps/guitar-combo-amps/ac4tv-206144/review

I've seen a demo by a guy on another forum that I belong to where he used an AC4TV combo. It sounded quite good. At that price point, the AC4 head sometimes tempts me...

Fretz
June 21st, 2011, 07:38 AM
I've seen a demo by a guy on another forum that I belong to where he used an AC4TV combo. It sounded quite good. At that price point, the AC4 head sometimes tempts me...

Thanks FrankenFretter
The AC4 head doesn't have a speaker though, right? The portability is one of the reasons I'm looking at something like this.

I see they do an 8" or 10" speaker version. Any views on which would be better?

FrankenFretter
June 21st, 2011, 01:15 PM
Thanks FrankenFretter
The AC4 head doesn't have a speaker though, right? The portability is one of the reasons I'm looking at something like this.

I see they do an 8" or 10" speaker version. Any views on which would be better?

In the world of combo amps, you'd do well to have the bigger speaker when at all possible or practical. Although there are exeptions, the smaller speakers tend to sound "boxy". I prefer a head/cabinet to a combo for several reasons, but one of the best reasons is that when the speaker and tubes are in the same physical container, i.e. a combo amp, it can shorten tube life due to the vibration of the tubes caused by the speaker. To be honest, most of the time it's probably not much of a problem. I like the versatility of being able to switch my amps and speaker cabs around as I see fit, depending on my mood.

Good luck with whatever you choose. There's lots of options out there for low-wattage valve amps these days, and these are only a few of the large selection that are available. You may also consider a Mack amp. Robert, our veiny leader, has a couple of them and he loves them. You can see demos of his amps here somewhere...

Fretz
June 24th, 2011, 03:51 AM
Thanks for all the tips guys.

The Vox AC4 TV is now on the way. It looks pretty cool...can't wait to get my hands on it :)