PDA

View Full Version : My stepdad has ALS.

Katastrophe
June 20th, 2011, 05:27 PM
My stepdad has ALS, or amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, also known as Lou Gehrig's Disease. Some of you might be familiar with the disease as it is the same that affects guitar wizard Jason Becker. It's a progressive disease, with no known cure.

ALS, put simply, sucks. My stepdad was diagnosed last October.

At this point, we (the family) are trying to focus on quality of life. Hospice care has been brought in, and they are working hard to monitor my stepdad, and keep him comfortable. I can't say enough about the compassionate people that take care of him.

What makes this disease even more difficult is that it attacked a man who has always been highly active. My stepdad usually spent his time outside, and worked very hard to provide a life for our family. Growing up, he'd get antsy if he stayed inside for too long. Today, he spent the majority of the day in bed, sleeping.

Only about 5,000 people in the US are diagnosed annually, so there isn't as much funding for ALS research as there is for other diseases. That sucks, too.

I was hesitant to post this... I still might delete the post. I'm feeling pretty sad for my stepdad today. Damn.

poodlesrule
June 20th, 2011, 05:38 PM
I was hesitant to post this... I still might delete the post. I'm feeling pretty sad for my stepdad today. Damn.

Please do not delete.
Sharing your care and sadness about a family member who finds himself fighting a tough disease is appreciated.

oldguy
June 20th, 2011, 05:41 PM
My heart goes out to you and your family, Kat.
You will be in our prayers and our hearts. The fact that your stepdad has a loving and caring family is a good thing.

duhvoodooman
June 20th, 2011, 05:44 PM
That's a tragic thing to hear, and I can certainly relate. My dad--one of the greatest guys you could ever meet--died of ALS back in '95. It is truly a horrible, horrible disease. You have my deepest condolences. I pray that your stepdad doesn't suffer too much.

Eric
June 20th, 2011, 07:29 PM
I'm really sorry to hear about that. I've known a couple of people who had family members with ALS, and it's not easy. I'll be praying for you.

Tig
June 20th, 2011, 07:46 PM
I really do feel for you and the family. This is a mean disease.
All I can suggest is to see what he really wants to do in his life that he's never done, and try to make it happen soon, before things progress.

"I consider myself the luckiest man on the face of this earth."
-Lou Gehrig

FrankenFretter
June 20th, 2011, 07:56 PM
I'm sorry, Kat. My thoughts are with you and your family.

piebaldpython
June 20th, 2011, 08:53 PM
Prayers and mojo coming your step-dad's way.....and the rest of the family too. ALS is brutal. Glad to hear you have hospice care involved. They make a world of difference for the family.

sunvalleylaw
June 20th, 2011, 08:56 PM
Prayers and mojo. I am sorry to hear he and your family are going through this.

Robert
June 20th, 2011, 09:19 PM
I'm very sorry to hear this. We went through this fairly recently with my wife's mother, and it was hard for all of us. It's awful.
Be strong. Our thoughts are with you.