PDA

View Full Version : Stuff you bring to gigs....

mark wein
June 21st, 2011, 07:53 PM
My next few videos are going to be about gear and what I use on gigs...I'm curious as to what you guys drag around, too!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVlQN028HLw

One of my earliest blogs was just a description of what I take to a gig and why: http://markweinguitarlessons.com/forums/content.php?124-My-Black-Bag

I figured I would do a video version with what I use today since this year I've returned to the world of being a gigging musician. Next week I'm going to do a video on my pedalboard and amp setup to complete the "Rig Talk". http://markweinguitarlessons.com/forums/images/smilies/s.gif

Also, in addition to getting this podcast on iTunes my book "Foundations for Guitar" is now available through Apples iBookstore!

Podcasts: http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/m...ry/id432020611 (http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/mwglforums-com-string-theory/id432020611)

Foundations for Guitar: http://itunes.apple.com/us/book/foun...42311784?mt=11 (http://itunes.apple.com/us/book/foundations-for-guitar/id442311784?mt=11)

jpfeifer
June 21st, 2011, 09:10 PM
Mark,

I probably bring too much stuff to gigs. The other guys in the band are always giving me a hard time about the stuff that I cart along, but so many of these things can be life savers, especially if you play through a tube amp. Here's my list:

- my amp and pedal board
- mic and mic stand
- vocal harmonizer (this is awesome if you sing background harmonies. It makes the band sound huge)
- music stand
- small spare amp just in case I have tube failure (I bring a small Roland Cube 60)
- a gig bag with the following:
extra picks
instrument cables & mic cables
extension cord
power strip
spare tubes and fuses
small flash light
screw driver
nail clippers (just in case a mess up a nail on the right hand, I need them for hybrid picking, occasionally I have to fix a nail before a gig)
ear plugs (I never seem to need them, but I should use them)
business cards (you never know when someone may want to contact you for another gig)

--Jim

mark wein
June 21st, 2011, 09:19 PM
Mark,

I probably bring too much stuff to gigs. The other guys in the band are always giving me a hard time about the stuff that I cart along, but so many of these things can be life savers, especially if you play through a tube amp. Here's my list:

- my amp and pedal board
- mic and mic stand
- vocal harmonizer (this is awesome if you sing background harmonies. It makes the band sound huge)
- music stand
- small spare amp just in case I have tube failure (I bring a small Roland Cube 60)
extra picks
extension cord
power strip
spare tubes and fuses
small flash light
screw driver
nail clippers (just in case a mess up a nail on the right hand, I need them for hybrid picking, occasionally I have to fix a nail before a gig)
business cards (you never know when someone may want to contact you for another gig)

--Jim

Thats a lot, but other than the vocal processor and the spare amp it's pretty close to what I bring. I used to have fuses and much more in the way of tools (even a small soldering iron :facepalm:) but I've pared it down a bit over the years.

hubberjub
June 22nd, 2011, 07:00 AM
Mark,

- my amp and pedal board
- mic and mic stand
- music stand
extra picks
extension cord
power strip
spare tubes and fuses
small flash light
screw driver

--Jim

That's a really well thought out list. I have one question though. How do you gig without a guitar?

Lev
June 22nd, 2011, 08:05 AM
Thats a lot, but other than the vocal processor and the spare amp it's pretty close to what I bring. I used to have fuses and much more in the way of tools (even a small soldering iron :facepalm:) but I've pared it down a bit over the years.

Hey Mark, what's your backup plan for amp failures?

mark wein
June 22nd, 2011, 08:28 AM
Hey Mark, what's your backup plan for amp failures?

To be honest, I don't have one other than plug my pedalboard into the PA. I used to carry a bunch of extra stuff around but in 25 years I've had only one issue and that was during a period where I didn't have the money to keep my gear maintained properly. If I was playing out of town more I'd have a spare amp of some sort to keep in the truck though.

jpfeifer
June 22nd, 2011, 04:54 PM
Yes, good point about the list. I forgot to include my guitars.

I usually take 2 guitars just in case a break a string or something. I've had this happen a few times to the point that I never go to a gig without a spare guitar.

On the guitars that I've installed "String Saver Saddles" I've yet to break a string, but I have on the others.

--Jim

hubberjub
June 23rd, 2011, 06:48 AM
Yes, good point about the list. I forgot to include my guitars.

I usually take 2 guitars just in case a break a string or something. I've had this happen a few times to the point that I never go to a gig without a spare guitar.

On the guitars that I've installed "String Saver Saddles" I've yet to break a string, but I have on the others.

--Jim

Good point on the String Savers. I installed them on my 1991 American Standard Strat and have never broken a string since then. At this point I don't gig with a backup guitar. I play 2-3 gigs per week and have to lug around both a six string rig and my pedal steel rig. I don't bring extra guitars but I always carry extra strings (I break more on the pedal steel than I do on the six string). As far as amps go, I'm using my Soldano Astroverb 16 for guitar and a Peavey Nashville 1000 for the pedal steel and I don't bring any extra amps. In a pinch, I could run both guitars through one amp. From the last few years of gigging, it's definitely been my amplifiers that have taken the most abuse. I think amp cases and proper maintenance are more important than a backup amp. That's just my take on the matter.

Brian Krashpad
June 25th, 2011, 07:43 PM
2-3 guitars, 2-3 stands, go-box, head, cab, sometimes a separate small combo to use as close monitor and a tilt-back stand for the combo. And of course my cheat book. Go-box is an old typewriter case (like a hardshell mini-suitcase). It's the tan case seen on the left here:

http://c2.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/79/l_3bb53bfbb7da950d9b088f9c216fe949.jpg

Go-box contains spare strings, cables, flashlight, wire cutters, a few effects boxes, and a power strip. An extension cord and a gigbag with more stuff comes in the van but doesn't come inside unless necessary. Same with the back-up head.

Brian Krashpad
June 26th, 2011, 02:26 PM
deleted double post

deeaa
June 26th, 2011, 09:27 PM
Well, I don't much gig these days, but usually the amp and guitar and pedalboard obviously - but sometimes just the guitar, if I know someone there will have an acceptable amp / system I can use (on a couple of latest gigs I knew there was gonna be a Tech-21 120 and a Marshall 6100 available respectively, so I just brought a guitar no amp...on a gig you need not be so particular about tones as in recording or training, no-one will hear/listen to the tone so keenly, so all I need is a good driven AC/DC type tone and I get by with guitar volume past that....and in addition to those:

- spare guitar
- picks
- a few spare tubes (if I bring my own amp)
- a couple guitar cords
- an extension cord of my own
- set lists/memory aid sheets
- gaffer or duct tape
- spare battery (for the guitar. although I NEVER needed one)
- spare strings
- a multitool (leatherman)
- a tuner (unless I bring my pedalboard that has one)

That's pretty much it...they all fit in a small briefcase, so at best all I need is two guitar cases really. I've never carried my own mic stands or such to a gig, or mics...except when I've toured with our own PA which is another case entirely, then we'd have a vanload of stuff of course.

scruff
June 27th, 2011, 07:56 AM
For a bar or club gig, I basically take my bass, my amp, and a cable. Sometimes I don't even take a guitar stand. For a larger venue, though, I feel like I need more stuff:

(the bass and the amp, of course)
at least 2 instrument cables
1 set of bass strings, although I've never broken one or needed to replace a string during a show
guitar stand
a small clip-on chromatic tuner
my Leatherman
a roll of gaffer's tape (the heaviest item in my bag)
set lists and cheat sheets as needed

I also keep a set of spare parts for the other guys in the band, just in case someone's active pups need a new battery and they don't have one, etc. I use the case from an old shaving kit for that (about the size of a mic bag) , which I can just throw in my bag on the way out the door. It has batteries, strings and string clippers, fret-ease (or whatever it's called) a spare strap and a bunch of picks. Just stuff I had laying around, actually.

DrumBob
July 5th, 2011, 07:45 PM
The answer is, too damn much on guitar gigs!! I take half the amount of stuff on drum gigs.

This is what I have to haul around in my Subaru Forester:

Five guitars (yes, they're all different and I use them all)
Amp
Pedalboard
Utility bag with cords, mics, power strips, etc.
Gig bag
Two monitors
Mic stand
Three guitar stands
PA Board (as a spare)
Small suitcase with speaker wires
Two Par 56 cans
Lighting tree
Rock 'n Roller cart
Small briefcase with accessories, harmonicas, picks, slides, charts, band mailing list, pens, etc.

It all fits in the Subaru, but it's a PITA to schlep it all. If it's a great gig though, it makes it tolerable.

I have to figure out a way to consolidate stuff.

MAXIFUNK
July 7th, 2011, 06:04 PM
EXTRA: Picks, cables, batteries aaaa,aaa,aa,a,c,d, sets of strings, guitar strap, power strips, heavy duty extension power cords with multiply plugs outlets.

I Always have with me a flashlight, cell phone, camera, small tool kit, backup bass or guitar and plenty of rags to wipe down my gear afterwards or during (in case some fools spills his/her beverage on me or my gear). Business cards must always be prepared to make professional or personal connections. Oops left off a guitar stand or 2.