PDA

View Full Version : Be like Bobby, without killing myself in the process

marnold
June 22nd, 2011, 03:29 PM
Well, in my never-ending efforts to be like Robert, my wife and I have taken up running. Actually, we're taking it up because my blood tests are saying that the doctors are going to want to put me on cholesterol medication and I don't wanna. So, we've been trying the C25K thing (http://www.c25k.com/) aka couch to 5K. We're in our second week. I can feel myself gaining some stamina, so that part is good. I really don't have a desire to run a marathon, just stay in shape.

My problem is that I keep finding ways to turn my ankles. I've sprained them so many times over my life that my ligaments are next to worthless. The first two times I just tweaked my right ankle. No biggie. We had been running on grass at the park so I was using my soccer cleats. One time I just stepped funny on the pavement. The other time, I just happened to stomp on a rock. Neither time slowed me down.

Today, it has been so rainy here we had to run on the sidewalk and road. We were in the home stretch when I stomped on a wood chip that just happened to be in the road. I really hurt my left ankle this time. It's swelling and I had a heck of a time limping back. I wiped out in the road, giving myself road rash on my right knee, right elbow, and right hand, including ripping open my three previously-injured fingertips. My phone, which we had been using for timing with the C25K program, went flying. Thankfully, due to the leather flip case I have for it, it escaped with only a slight scrape on the one corner.

This is the first time in my life that I've wanted to do this. Twisting my ankles to various degrees on three of the five times we've run is beyond annoying and downright embarrassing. Part of it is profoundly bad luck. Part of it is weak ankles. I'm looking for any advice because at this rate, I'm going to end up dead in a month. I have a tie-up brace that I could wear (it looks like I'm wearing a canvas high-top), but it severely cuts my mobility obviously. I don't want to have to tape my ankles, because it's hard to do on your own and I'd blow through a fortune buying tape.

Eric
June 22nd, 2011, 03:38 PM
Wow, you are having some seriously back luck! My advice for you is to ditch the cleats and go sidewalk only. If ankle injuries are of concern (which right now they are), maybe you should look down a bit more. I'm honestly not being snarky with that -- it seems kind of dumb to always be looking down when you run, but whenever I've done trail running, my eyes are glued to the ground.

Other than that, just take it slow. You need to get in a rhythm, which I imagine you're not after only 5 times out. No need to be a superhero right away. Just continuing to go and plugging away at it will do far more than pushing yourself beyond the recommended curve.

That having been said, welcome to running! I'm actually on the opposite trajectory, having slowed down my running and exercise to very very minimal levels. It can be a very addicting hobby (kind of in a compulsive way, oddly enough), so hopefully it works out for you.

Robert
June 22nd, 2011, 03:55 PM
Ahh, swell, good ole boy! Great to hear to you are doing this.

My advice is to use good running shoes with a low profile. Only run on even surfaces - no patchy grass.

Eric is right - take it slow and controlled. Focus on good form.

Spudman
June 22nd, 2011, 05:15 PM
Yup. It takes time to build strength. Stick with it and the rewards are huge. Quit and you get no rewards.

If you can find someone to run along with you you might be more inclined to stick it out. Or find someone who is also just starting and compare training logs to keep each other motivated. Sunvalley and I do that so that we keep riding hard. You don't have to go gonzo or all out. Just stay consistent and be methodical. Put your runs into your schedule so that you stick to it. If it's on the schedule then you have to do it when it says.

Bravo by the way. :applause

marnold
June 22nd, 2011, 06:16 PM
Well that's why both my wife and I are doing this and why we're doing c25k so we don't overdo it. This will slow me down for a few days at least because my ankle is really messed up. Doing the RICE thing while trying to get ready to preach tomorrow.

I can't believe I'm actually doing this because I'm neither a runner nor an athlete by nature. I just don't want drugs and I realize I'm not getting younger.

Childbride
June 22nd, 2011, 08:59 PM
I'm training for a half marathon and I've broken one ankle twice/sprained the other... Look at the ground constantly; uneven pavement will hurt you. Be careful and buy shoes with great support. Good luck!

Eric
June 22nd, 2011, 09:08 PM
buy shoes with great support.
I will qualify this: if you're going to be running on a regular basis, get the right support. Not everyone has the same stride, so you should find a running store and figure out what kind of shoe you need. It has to do with how much your foot rotates (read: pronates) when it hits the ground. If your feet rotate too much or not enough, you'll need stability or cushioning running shoes, respectively. If you get the wrong kind and do a lot of running, you can injure yourself, so it's worth a trip to the store when you get into regular running.

Spudman
June 22nd, 2011, 09:25 PM
Actually, the new science is that expensive over compensating running shoes are not as good as less supportive, less expensive shoes. Seems running barefoot or maybe with some Converse high tops, or similar, would be best. There are quite a few studies so I listed just a few.

http://www.physorg.com/news156063767.html
(http://www.physorg.com/news156063767.html)
http://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercise/news/20071010/running-shoes-dont-pay-more

(http://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercise/news/20071010/running-shoes-dont-pay-more)http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/01/100104122310.htm

piebaldpython
June 23rd, 2011, 08:11 AM
OK.....so you have a habit of turning your ankles. When I run for the sake of running, my ankles, knees and lower back hurt. So, in light of that....and wanting to stay in some semblance of shape.....I use an elliptical machine at the gym and get a better workout than I'd ever get from running with less pounding on my OLD joints. lol

Good luck with the running though. You can only run for maybe 7-8 months up in Green Bay, right? What with all the snow you get.

Childbride
June 23rd, 2011, 07:32 PM
Eric, I don't argue your point. I go through shoes every four to six months; I am up to 5.5 miles a night and 20 a weekend. Spud, I don't argue research, but I can tell you I have a much better workout personally when I can feel my foot fully supported, but that's just me.

Spudman
June 23rd, 2011, 08:45 PM
It's really all about just getting out and doing it. That matters most. I just post the information so that, well, people have more information. My hat is off to all those that are endeavoring to make positive changes in their health. Stick with it. The long term benefits are enormous.

Tig
June 23rd, 2011, 09:55 PM
Hang in there, but easy does it at first Rev! Connective tissue (ligaments, tendons) need more time to strengthen than muscles, and are slow to heal if damaged.

My feet and ankles are pretty tender after several fractures and other fun injuries. I'll never be able to run again. Give yours time to strengthen, and you'll be fine. I even have to buy super cushy running shoes to protect 'em, just to walk around in.

marnold
June 24th, 2011, 10:39 AM
Mercifully I was able to handle the service last night with minimal discomfort. The swelling is starting to go down--into my foot, unfortunately. It's mainly achy now. I'd like to say I could try running tomorrow, but that probably won't happen. Maybe Monday.

Tig
June 24th, 2011, 11:35 AM
Mercifully I was able to handle the service last night with minimal discomfort. The swelling is starting to go down--into my foot, unfortunately. It's mainly achy now. I'd like to say I could try running tomorrow, but that probably won't happen. Maybe Monday.

I'd suggest not running on an injury. That leads to The Dark Side!
Wait until you are healed up. Patience, young Skyrawker.

Remember, the body advances and builds during rest and recovery. Take that away and you will go backwards in your goals.

MAXIFUNK
June 25th, 2011, 02:26 PM
get ankle braces and get mid ankle cross trainers there are those types of shoes made mostly for runners check new balance or asics

marnold
June 28th, 2011, 09:22 AM
Well, we went running again today. I wore my canvas brace. Because of that, I had to take somewhat shorter strides. I mainly wore the brace for the mental aspect of things--I didn't have to spend the whole time worrying about my ankle. It's a little sore, but nothing too bad. I followed your eminently logical advice/encouragement and made sure that I watched where I was going. The hunk of wood that I hurt myself on made its way back in my path, but I saw it and kicked it out of the way. On further inspection, it was in fact a three inch piece of a very large branch. Since it is round, it's no surprise I wiped out. My wife was complaining right before we ran the last leg (I think she's a little stressed about our kitchen remodel) but I encouraged her and we ran the last bit. We'll see what happens when we run next.

Tone2TheBone
June 29th, 2011, 11:18 PM
Well, in my never-ending efforts to be like Robert, my wife and I have taken up running. Actually, we're taking it up because my blood tests are saying that the doctors are going to want to put me on cholesterol medication and I don't wanna.

Exercise is good but add some Psyllium Husk Fiber supplements to your regiment. I guarantee you it will drop your bad cholesterol levels. You're welcome. :)