PDA

View Full Version : Have a KOW!

duhvoodooman
November 22nd, 2006, 11:42 AM
Knock On Wood, that is. For whatever reason, this Motown classic has been kicking around in my head for about a month. I looked around the 'net for a decent backing track for the tune, and found nothing but pathetic MIDI stuff. But as the Good Book says, "Ask and ye shall receive", so I did that here a few days ago, and the Swede came through with flying colors (thanks again, dude!). So I've been noodling around recording guitar parts over it for a few days, and here's where I'm at:

DVM Knocks on Wood (http://www.box.net/public/arlfa2bmky)

Your honest appraisals and constructive criticisms welcome!

The rhythm part was a little EVH carryover, recorded with my LP through the AD30VT using the UK80's model and the flanger reverb. The lead parts are done with my Dot using the Tweed 4x10 model with chorus reverb and juiced up with the ToneBone/Bad Monkey combo I've used before. Threw a little CryBaby in there for a few bars, too. Recorded & edited with Audacity, either mic'ing the amp or running the line out directly into my PC's sound card. Ain't gonna win any awards for either the playing or the production value, but it was fun to fool around with....

stingx
November 22nd, 2006, 02:11 PM
Hey V-man, I thought you did very well with this. Cool backing track to jam to so kudos on the Swede for that. My friend has the Vox AD60VTX. I tried the AD50VT and I think Vox has quite a few winners on their hands with these modelers. You certainly sound great through yours. I listened through my cans from work and the mix sounds good to these ears. I'll give this a spin again on the home rig for another analysis but I don't think I'll be able to give you any bad words on this.

http://photo-forum.net/joro/emoticons/EmoticonTheWave.gif

SuperSwede
November 22nd, 2006, 02:35 PM
Glad to be of service DVM!
That backing track was, as I told DVM originally a cheesy MIDI file I found somewhere. I re-recorded pretty much everything but the drums (not much time that day). So I am not taking 100% of the credit of this backing track.

I think that lead guitar sound was awesome DVM! I bet you can cut through a 15 inch concrete wall with that :)
If I may say so, I think that the rhythm guitar was a bit too loud. But otherwise a nice track!

ted s
November 22nd, 2006, 02:39 PM
Awsome DVM ! sounded great !

duhvoodooman
November 22nd, 2006, 03:35 PM
If I may say so, I think that the rhythm guitar was a bit too loud.
You may say so, indeed! Just the kind of feedback I'm looking for. I have the rhythm guitar as its own separate track, so it's very easy to drop it down a click or two. Thanks, Swede.... :DR

Spudman
November 22nd, 2006, 04:42 PM
Great playing Voodoo.
However, I found the flanger distracted from the song. Perhaps using it for effect in certain places instead of the whole rhythm track would suit my taste better or less regeneration on the flange.

duhvoodooman
November 22nd, 2006, 07:22 PM
Swede & Spuds--

I dropped the volume on the rhythm track by 3dB. It's still "all flanger, all the time", but less, er....insistent. :D See if you think this is better:

KOW-2 (http://www.box.net/public/e9mclspvxg)

SuperSwede
November 23rd, 2006, 09:58 AM
Sounds much better now DVM!

Spudman
November 23rd, 2006, 11:59 AM
Yes. That sounds great Voodoo. Good job!

sunvalleylaw
November 23rd, 2006, 12:07 PM
Yes. That sounds great Voodoo. Good job!

That's really great! I liked the other allright, but I also like this one better.

Robert
November 23rd, 2006, 12:55 PM
Nice, DVM! Haven't heard that song in a long time!

oldguy
November 23rd, 2006, 02:33 PM
Good job, DVM! Loved that crybaby!
I liked the flange after it toned down.
I'll bet you could rip it up on "Heat Wave", man!:D
Glenn