PDA

View Full Version : Agile 3100 pickup output

ZMAN
June 25th, 2011, 08:40 AM
I have been thinking about picking up an Agile 3100. I have heard a lot of good things about them.
I was wondering if anyone can give me the specs on their standard Alnico Vs that they seem to put in most of their 3100s. I am looking for the DC resistance on both Bridge and Neck. Also has anyone checked out the pots and caps that come in them stock. I have heard lots of sound samples and a lot of guys expect to change out the pickups right away, and are pleasantly surprised with them. Most, I have heard just leave them as is.
I have Gibby and Epi Les Pauls and was wondering how the Agiles compare. I know there are several Agile owners here and I have been talking to Duffy about his. They seem to be well received.
I am at somewhat of a disadvantage in that the Agiles are quite rare up her in Canada and I really haven't had a chance to play one, or for that matter even see one, other than pictures.

FrankenFretter
June 25th, 2011, 11:48 AM
The pair that I pulled out were 7.5 for the neck, and 8.3 for the bridge. Many people on the Agile forum (http://www.agileguitarforum.com/index.php) compare them to the Gibson 57 pickups. I'd say they're comparable, but with somewhat less bite. The stock pots are full size Alphas, which are actually really decent. Caps are the standard "chicklet" .022 caps. The pickups are pretty good, and if I weren't a constant tinkerer, I'd have left them in.

Edit: Here's a link (http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php/14786-Epiphone-Tribute-Les-Paul-vs.-Agile-AL3000-in-a-battle-royale?highlight=) to a comparison I did last year between my Agile and my Epi Les Paul Tribute. Hope that helps, Brian.

ZMAN
June 26th, 2011, 06:38 AM
I have a good memory, only it is short! I now rmember the thread and it is just what I am looking for. Both you and Duffy have said exactly the same things about the guitars and that is great to hear. I have lots of Gibson, Epis and I know what they sound like. I am itching for a Honey or Cherry bursts LP. I travel to Maine a lot and I did some business with Rondo and I had a case delivered in 1 day to that location, so I plan on doing just that when I am down there next.
I was hoping that the pickups would ot need changing because I am not a tinkerer. I really like to leave any guitar no matter how reasonably priced completely stock. The only one I have modded was a Gibson Classic GT that I lucked into a seet of Burst Bucker pickups that needed a home. And the Ceramics were way to harsh in that chambered body.
I am a sucker for PAF tone and what I have heard about the Agile Alnico Vs is that they are very good. A pot change might be the only mod I do.
Thanks for the information, FF.

duhvoodooman
June 26th, 2011, 10:51 AM
On my AL-3100:

Bridge = 8.38K

Neck = 7.69K

I thought the bridge pickup sounded very good, but I found the neck just a tad on the dull side. Not bad, just not very inspiring.

ZMAN
June 26th, 2011, 03:06 PM
On my AL-3100:

Bridge = 8.38K

Neck = 7.69K

I thought the bridge pickup sounded very good, but I found the neck just a tad on the dull side. Not bad, just not very inspiring.
Thanks for that, I don't use the neck much, I like to use the treble or middle so that wouldn't affect me.