PDA

View Full Version : The Right way to wrap up cords

deeaa
June 26th, 2011, 12:42 PM
Here, I made a short video to demonstrate...most people I know do it this way but every now and then I run accross people who've never tried it this way. Works best on guitar cable thicknesses, but also a little thicker ones are OK.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DdUAYMrCiY

Spudman
June 26th, 2011, 03:35 PM
Sorry to say but if you went to work as a Union stage hand that method would promptly get you replaced.

This is the approved method and the least destructive.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-74OEVUOKOw&feature=related

deeaa
June 26th, 2011, 08:49 PM
I stand by my method :-) Spud, over under is exactly how I wrap stiff cables like network cables, and I'd wrap video cables as well if I had any, but it does not work with soft mic cables at all, at least not in reality&hurry.

On a gig, if you do it like that, it takes too long, you need cable ties or something, and once you've tossed a hundred cables tied like this in a huge cable box, it'll all be a horrible tangle and a mess.

My method is quick and fast and very secure, you can just pile cords and toss 'em on hooks and whatnot...absolutely the best way to do it for a gigging musician in a hurry, or in a studio with lots and lots of _soft_ audio cords that naturally bend to even tight bends without any issues.

But it will not work with either thick like power cables or thin fastening cords, or, indeed, with stiff cables like video cables, which might be hurt if twisted too much. Try it and see. I've done it for over 20 years like this, and pretty much every stage hand I see also does it this way...but I should have stressed it so once again, it's ONLY for soft mic/audio cables.

Bookkeeper's Son
June 26th, 2011, 11:06 PM
That's one of the things I love about forums - everybody's an expert......

deeaa
June 27th, 2011, 03:05 AM
Well, it's just a case of what works for what purpose and use. No doubt on big stages and heavy duty stiff cords it's best to loop them over under and use cable ties; they've the time, they're paid for it and they want to keep the long expensive lines in great condition and likely used 300 days a year for up to aa decade. I'm no expert in that big-scale production type thing, but I've spent well over 20 years on and around small stages and studios.

For guys like me & small venue stuff, the cables are soft and of reasonable length; you might have 10 minutes to clear the stage and toss the cables in a large trunk, there's no time to fuz around with ties and such and by doubling and doubling it's very quick, you simultaneously clean the cord of spilled beer, glass shards and cigarette stumps etc...and certainly it won't hurt a soft cable at all. I never had a cable fail to any other reason than busted connector or someone stepping on them hard....definitely any of those will occur way before any fraying from twisting occurs (I've never noticed any). Besides, doing it by halving the length each time actually also does the same as over/under in that the cord won't get twisted along its core at all like when you'd wrap it around the elbow. Doubling & tying the cable with itself is just the best way in that setting, and is kind of an easier and quicker version of over/under but does much the same...plus no need for ties either for a very secure bundle of cord.

I learned the way from a sound guy who'd been working in the same place as a soundman for over 20 years by then and still is actually.

scruff
June 27th, 2011, 07:38 AM
I'm not an expert or anything, but I can't imagine ever tying my band's expensive cables in knots like that.

deeaa
June 27th, 2011, 07:42 AM
Try it...they won't get hurt any even if you do it hundreds of times. My old guitar cord is from the mid-nineties and I must have tied it like that a thousand times to no ill effect whatsoever. There are no tight bends or anything, the smallest radius will be something like 8" or so...no way that'd hurt any cable unless it's some really stiff stuff. If you for instance hang your cable from over the strap button like most do, it'll be way more harmful.

Eric
June 27th, 2011, 08:13 AM
I do it like the video Spud posted, but a couple of disclaimers:

I'm usually pretty OCD about organization
I don't gig currently, so I'm rarely/never in a hurry to pack things up
I use some cheap velcro strap things to secure a cable together.

I don't doubt your way works, Dee. Maybe when I'm in a time crunch to pack up, I'll try it.

mapka
June 27th, 2011, 09:39 AM
Not sure which is good or right, but I was taught Deeaa's way by the guy who first took me under his wing to do sound and lights. Long cables were rapped this way and short ones more the under over method. cables got thrown into crates and put back on the bus till the next gig. never had a problem with tangles or with cables being damaged. I agree that stiffer cables may require a different method.

R_of_G
June 27th, 2011, 10:03 AM
I was taught to do it the way shown in the video Spud posted.

Don't know if that's right or wrong or if such terms even apply, but it's the way I was taught.

deeaa
June 27th, 2011, 10:24 AM
I don't think there is one answer to which is best, it all depends on the type of cord and lots of things. The one I presented applies to mid-length, i.e. your typical mic and guitar cables only...and even with those, sometimes you have a cable that is divisible to very awkward length so you end up with either too long a loop to tie so it won't tangle, or too tight. But anyway, you'd wrap power cables one way, stiff cables another...of course. And those George L's need yet a different method, although over under works pretty well. But they are a nuisance in longer lengths, much as I like the type in many a use.

I haven't really come up with a good solution for very short, i.e. a few yards or so, cables, usually I just toss them in the crate as they are. I won't want to bother with any separate ties or straps so good ideas are welcome. I sometimes thought of getting like a long tube kind of package for them to slide in, but that'd be awkward. Any ideas welcome!

But the best thing is that there's talk of it; I tend to forget using the over under since I need it so rarely, but just a few days back I had to wrap up a looong network cable and I just kind of mangled it and threw away. I should have paid more attention to it and use the proper way for that.

Retro Hound
June 27th, 2011, 01:33 PM
But the real question is, will either method work on a garden hose?

Tig
June 27th, 2011, 02:01 PM
But the real question is, will either method work on a garden hose?

:rollover
I'm thinking the garden forums have yet to ponder such a method.

deeaa
June 27th, 2011, 02:39 PM
For garden hose, I'd recommend a reel thingy onto which it is easy to reel on...:-)

marnold
June 27th, 2011, 03:28 PM
For garden hose, I'd recommend a reel thingy onto which it is easy to reel on...:-)
Yeah, but I only use NOS American-made garden hose. Otherwise you aren't really a gardener.

Tig
June 27th, 2011, 03:40 PM
I've managed to get some sweet tone water from MiM and Korean hoses, but the Chinese hose tone is lacking.

Katastrophe
June 27th, 2011, 05:59 PM
Sheesh. Y'all are ALL missing the mark.

Everyone knows that you get the best water tone from Japanese water hoses.

On a side note, intarwebz rumor is that Gibson in going to start a revolution in water hoses. Out with the staid, old water delivery system. The FireHose X will come equipped with it's own lighting effects, Bluetooth connectivity, and it's own onboard water quality modeling system, capable of capturing water types from across the globe with the simple flick of 24 switches and a "secret" handshake.

Tig
June 27th, 2011, 06:19 PM
The FireHose X will come equipped with it's own lighting effects, Bluetooth connectivity, and it's own onboard water quality modeling system, capable of capturing water types from across the globe with the simple flick of 24 switches and a "secret" handshake.

:rollover Good one, Kat!

Ch0jin
June 27th, 2011, 07:43 PM
Sheesh. Y'all are ALL missing the mark.

Everyone knows that you get the best water tone from Japanese water hoses.

On a side note, intarwebz rumor is that Gibson in going to start a revolution in water hoses. Out with the staid, old water delivery system. The FireHose X will come equipped with it's own lighting effects, Bluetooth connectivity, and it's own onboard water quality modeling system, capable of capturing water types from across the globe with the simple flick of 24 switches and a "secret" handshake.

"Ever been curious as to the taste of that tap water in Calcutta? Have you found yourself dry mouthed at the prospect of sampling artesian water from a UN pump in the Congo? Do you often find yourself pondering the subtle taste sensation that is Mexican puddle water?

Well wonder no more with FireHoseX and it's on-board water modelling system"

Soooo OT, Sooo Funny :)

marnold
June 27th, 2011, 07:51 PM
"Ever been curious as to the taste of that tap water in Calcutta? Have you found yourself dry mouthed at the prospect of sampling artesian water from a UN pump in the Congo? Do you often find yourself pondering the subtle taste sensation that is Mexican puddle water?

Well wonder no more with FireHoseX and it's on-board water modelling system"

Best . . . railroaded . . . thread . . . ever!

deeaa
June 27th, 2011, 10:26 PM
But wait till they start making the 'Garden Ho-se' system in India on the cheap. Everyone will want a cheap garden ho!

scruff
June 28th, 2011, 08:57 AM
Wow. This WAS a useful discussion.

poodlesrule
June 28th, 2011, 01:48 PM
Everyone will want a cheap garden ho!

What is a garden ho...?
We don't have them here, I think.

Spudman
June 28th, 2011, 04:04 PM
What is a garden ho...?
We don't have them here, I think.