PDA

View Full Version : Lpb-1

FLHX
June 29th, 2011, 08:24 AM
I'm thinking about getting a LPB-1 boost pedal and running it through my FX loop just for solos. I haven't tried one of these pedals yet. Good, bad any info?

Rick

Blaze
June 29th, 2011, 09:03 AM
This one here is a must... Versatile & transparent ..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZY9dIk748FY

marnold
June 29th, 2011, 09:57 AM
While there are no hard-and-fast rules, generally speaking a boost/overdrive pedal is put in front of the amp to hit the preamp harder instead of in the effects loop.

Ch0jin
June 29th, 2011, 05:39 PM
I use a homebrew SHO style pedal for boostage, but yeah, as Marnold said, the general consensus is to place a boost in between guitar and amp rather than in FX loop. That said, I have tried clean boosts in the FX loop and you can achieve a volume boost by doing so.

Tig
June 29th, 2011, 08:42 PM
I'd throw the Durham Electronics Sex Drive Boost pedal in the hat as well.

http://proguitarshop.com/store/effects-boost-pedals-c-602_43/durham-electronics-sex-drive-boost-pedal-p-737

http://www.durhamelectronics.com/images/NewSexDriveLrg.jpg

duhvoodooman
June 30th, 2011, 07:33 AM
While I've never used the original EH pedal, the LPB-1 employs a very simple bipolar junction transistor circuit to generate additional signal gain. I find that it has a very nice combination of linear frequency response (hence the name linear power boost), strong drive capability, and stays pretty clean up to high drive levels (though it may well overdrive the preamp stage of your amplifier). I have the LPB-1 style boost circuit installed in a couple of my DIY pedals, and it's my personal favorite boost circuit.

There are several other types of boosts that are popular, including the SHO-style MOSFET boost (very clean, sparkly tone) and the vintage Dallas Rangemaster-style germanium transistor boost, which is a "dirtier" boost that adds some of its own distortion & character to the signal.

You might want to consider the BYOC TriBoost (http://www.buildyourownclone.com/triboost.html), a pedal kit that offers three switchable boost modes--LPB, SHO and Rangemaster--all in one box. And if you're not into building one yourself, there might be somebody around here that could build one for you.... :notme

FLHX
June 30th, 2011, 08:38 AM
I just tried the BBE Boosta Grande, that one didn't sound to bad

tunghaichuan
June 30th, 2011, 09:15 AM
I second DVM's recomendation of the BYOC Triboost. I have one and it is killer.

marnold
June 30th, 2011, 09:21 AM
DVM, how would all of these pedals compare to the boost circuit in the BYOC OD2?

duhvoodooman
June 30th, 2011, 10:16 AM
DVM, how would all of these pedals compare to the boost circuit in the BYOC OD2?If you use the stock OD2 boost configuration, it's an LPB-1 type boost. If you do the MOSFET converison, it's basically an SHO boost, though not quite as high max. gain.

marnold
June 30th, 2011, 12:01 PM
IIRC, you made mine with the MOSFET boost. I like that a lot.

Ch0jin
June 30th, 2011, 04:53 PM
Just out of curiosity, does the SHO section of the OD2 crackle? I tossed together a SHO clone some time ago and it immediately earned a permanent place on my pedal board for its amazing boost sound. I could see the crackle thing however getting on peoples nerves.

Eric
July 1st, 2011, 06:56 AM
You know, I realize this makes me sound incredibly stupid, but it took me a long time to figure out that you can use a lot more gain/distortion on leads and solos than you can on chords and rhythm. For some reason, that was an unspoken thing in guitar circles that I just never really 'got' for a long time, probably since I've been 90% rhythm for most of my guitar years.

duhvoodooman
July 1st, 2011, 09:16 AM
Just out of curiosity, does the SHO section of the OD2 crackle? I tossed together a SHO clone some time ago and it immediately earned a permanent place on my pedal board for its amazing boost sound. I could see the crackle thing however getting on peoples nerves.No--the MOSFET boost in the OD2 has just a simple output level control. The "crackle okay" pot on the Zvex SHO is actually a gain control on the MOSFET itself.