PDA

View Full Version : My stepdad passed away this morning.

Katastrophe
June 29th, 2011, 11:51 AM
My stepdad passed away this morning after a hard fought battle with ALS. He died at home, surrounded by family.

I'm kinda crying right now, or I'd post a long message about this remarkable man. I will miss him.

R_of_G
June 29th, 2011, 12:01 PM
I'm very sorry for your loss Kat.
My best to you and your family in dealing with this.
When you're feeling more up to it, I look forward to reading your longer post about him.

Robert
June 29th, 2011, 12:18 PM
Kat, I am so sorry to hear this.

My most sincere condolences on your loss.

progrmr
June 29th, 2011, 12:26 PM
Aw man - that's just terrible news. My prayers for you and your family - this is a tough time for all and getting through it will take time.

Curse our weak bodies!

Eric
June 29th, 2011, 12:31 PM
Words generally mean little to me, but I'll try anyway: I'm really sorry to hear about this. I already got my prayer on for you before I wrote this, so I hope your fam is doing well in dealing with this.

FrankenFretter
June 29th, 2011, 12:57 PM
I'm very sorry, Kat. My thoughts are with you, my Interwebz friend. I know this is a very hard time for you, and we all wish you the best. Take care, Kat.

Blaze
June 29th, 2011, 01:07 PM
Sorry for you and the family ..

May he Rest in peace !!

t_ross33
June 29th, 2011, 01:30 PM
Sad news, but glad he could pass in the comfort of his home and surrounded by love. Peace and blessing to you and yours, Kat.

sunvalleylaw
June 29th, 2011, 02:05 PM
I am so sorry for your loss, expected though it was. Doesn't make it much easier I imagine. My prayers and best wishes be with you.

Tig
June 29th, 2011, 02:25 PM
Wow, this is sad news, and much sooner than expected. I'm very sorry for your loss.

The lessons he taught and the spirit he shared can be kept alive through you and your family, each day.

bcdon
June 29th, 2011, 02:41 PM
Sorry for your loss.

street music
June 29th, 2011, 05:43 PM
My most sincere condolences on your loss.
Hope you can make it through this with the family and Know you had great times together.

oldguy
June 29th, 2011, 06:25 PM
Really sorry to hear, Kat. Our love and prayers go out to you and your family.

I think it's good he was there with family and loved ones when he passed over.
Remember the wonderful things about him, and when you feel up to it, please share some good memories.

marnold
June 29th, 2011, 07:23 PM
It's always hard to lose a loved one even if you knew that this time was coming. We've got your back, big guy. You will be in my thoughts and, more importantly, prayers.

piebaldpython
June 29th, 2011, 08:28 PM
Prayers, condolences and mojo sent your way Kat.

Pickngrin
June 29th, 2011, 08:28 PM
Kat, I'm so sorry. May you and your family find peace through this mournful time. You have lots of support on here.

deeaa
June 29th, 2011, 10:43 PM
I'm sorry...my dad...really my stepdad actually, but I never thought of him as that, is getting old on the fast lane and I'm bracing myself for it. Sorry for your loss.

Tone2TheBone
June 29th, 2011, 11:23 PM
My sincere condolences Kata I'm very sorry for your loss.

ET335
June 30th, 2011, 02:33 AM
I'm very sorry for the loss of your stepdad Kat...God bless you and your family.

guitarhack
June 30th, 2011, 05:22 AM
Very sorry for your loss. Hang in there.

otaypanky
June 30th, 2011, 05:45 AM
'sorry to hear your sad news Kat, my condolences

duhvoodooman
June 30th, 2011, 07:15 AM
Very sorry to hear this, Kat. Deepest condolences for your & your family's loss.

Katastrophe
June 30th, 2011, 09:12 AM
Thanks, guys. I am grateful for the words of comfort.

Beerman
June 30th, 2011, 11:44 AM
Thoughts and prayers are flowing from my end. Keep the good memories alive and make him proud.
I hope the family had time to say their goodbyes. If so, please find some comfort in the time you had before he left.

tjcurtin1
June 30th, 2011, 06:56 PM
Hey, Kat - good thoughts going you way. Glad to hear that he was able to be surrounded by loving family at the end of his long struggle.

MAXIFUNK
July 1st, 2011, 09:54 PM
VERY SORRY for your loss my condolences...........

Perfect Stranger
July 2nd, 2011, 02:19 PM
Very sorry to hear of your loss....

hubberjub
July 2nd, 2011, 04:38 PM
Very sorry to hear that Kat.

Katastrophe
July 2nd, 2011, 07:05 PM
Thanks, guys.

My stepdad was a real man's man. He did everything at 100%. He used to race Sprint cars in the 60s, and rode both dirt and street bikes. He used to own this 1980 turbo Trans Am and we'd rock out to Bob Seger and Fleetwood Mac tunes while cruising down the street with the T-tops off. That was pretty cool for an eight year old!

He was the one that encouraged me to try guitar.

He was good at business, having built and sold at least three companies that I know of. I remember when he started the last one, a commercial landscaping company, that he would work so hard that he could barely walk when he came home.

He was an US Air Force veteran, having served aboard KC 135 aerial refuelers.

He spent his last years travelling in his RV, going to races around the country, and spending time with Mom and their English Bulldog, Bailey.

The funeral was yesterday. I sure will miss him.

Brian Krashpad
July 5th, 2011, 12:37 PM
Sorry I didn't see this until now. Condolences, prayers, and mojo.

R_of_G
July 5th, 2011, 12:43 PM
Thanks, guys.

My stepdad was a real man's man. He did everything at 100%. He used to race Sprint cars in the 60s, and rode both dirt and street bikes. He used to own this 1980 turbo Trans Am and we'd rock out to Bob Seger and Fleetwood Mac tunes while cruising down the street with the T-tops off. That was pretty cool for an eight year old!

He was the one that encouraged me to try guitar.

He was good at business, having built and sold at least three companies that I know of. I remember when he started the last one, a commercial landscaping company, that he would work so hard that he could barely walk when he came home.

He was an US Air Force veteran, having served aboard KC 135 aerial refuelers.

He spent his last years travelling in his RV, going to races around the country, and spending time with Mom and their English Bulldog, Bailey.

The funeral was yesterday. I sure will miss him.

Sounds like a great guy Kat.
You were lucky to have him in your life.
So sorry he was taken from you too soon.

syo
July 5th, 2011, 11:06 PM
Hey Kat. I'm sorry I somehow missed your post until now.

Very sorry to hear of your loss. Your stepdad sounds like a terrific fellow. Sounds like you have much to be grateful and (therefore) to grieve for. My prayers and best to you.

Katastrophe
July 6th, 2011, 07:45 AM
Thanks again, all... Your kind words have helped - a lot.

It's been a week since my stepdad passed away. I'm worried mainly about my Mom and how she's handling everything. She's keeping busy, and has a list of friends to talk to when she needs it. The family has been coming by to visit as well. This is going to be a long process for everyone in the family, but I'm glad that we're all pulling together.

poodlesrule
July 7th, 2011, 01:53 PM
Thanks for sharing the interesting details about your Stepdad's life experience.

Your Mom: It has been our experience with my late MIL, that the recently widowed need close observation.
Well-meaning but busy, my wife thinks she could have prevented her mom from slipping into depression, which brought up some problems, like skipping meals and other things, eventually accelerating her mental health decline.

NWBasser
July 15th, 2011, 04:57 PM
I just found this.

I'm sorry for your loss Kat and you have my condolensces.

It sounds like he was an awesome guy and you will have many fond memories of him.

Teleman77
July 17th, 2011, 12:35 AM
Sincere condolences and prayers headed your way.

Katastrophe
July 17th, 2011, 07:24 AM
Thanks, guys.