PDA

View Full Version : NPD Boomerang III Phrase Sampler w/ V2 firmware. Caution. Stupidly long post! Pt A

Ch0jin
June 30th, 2011, 11:03 PM
OK so I didn't actually get it today, but two weeks ago, but I was bored at work today so here goes....

I've been a fan of hardware looping since I acquired a Boss RC-2 a year (or was it two?) ago. With its foolproof single button design, built in drum beats, and fancy loop quantization, it immediately became a permanent fixture on my pedal board at home for practising. I would suggest that a looper like the RC-2, or the even cooler new version, the RC-3, should be a part of every guitarist’s basic tool kit.

After plenty of good use though, the honeymoon is over, and I found myself wanting more. Quite a bit more.

You see, as a tool to help practice timing and scales, as well as record basic riff ideas, the RC-2 was great. If I wanted to get a little creative though, the built in limitations grew more and more frustrating. I'm referring specifically to the one two combo punch that is the inability to move back and forward between loops without first saving them, and the complete inability to swap between loops using your feet. Before you cry "Oh but Cho, didn't you know you can use an optional foot switch?" I'll mention that I did make a compatible foot switch, and whilst greatly enhancing usability by adding a single press "stop" button, you are limited to "Phrase up" when it comes to loop control, which presupposes that you have saved every loop you might need for a performance in sequence, and ahead of time.

I decided one cloudy winters day that I really wanted to be able to switch back and forward between loops whilst I was jamming, and that led me to research some more advanced loopers. After a bunch of reading, it was apparent that to be able to toe tap away and have loops coming in and out of everywhere, I'd need either the sort of product that "live" looping artists use, which means either the discontinued Boss RC50XL or the Texas made Boomerang III.

Now if I lived in the USA I'd probably be figuring out how to drive an RC50. They can be had second hand for half the price of a 'rang over there, but alas, they seem rare in this wide brown land. Ironically, after I decided on a new 'rang, I found out they are even more rare in Oz, with a single retail source (so much for 'street' price)

I'll admit the idea of not being able to save loops with the 'rang concerned me, but the fact that everyone who has one, raves about their awesomeness, was enough to sway me. Cash electronically exchanged, I had a shiny new looper.

Fast Forward a couple of weeks and here I am.

If you look around the web you will probably find most reviews of the Boomerang IIII make mention of its user friendly, ergonomic design. It has to be said though that it did take me some time to get the basics of operation down, as operation is different to my RC-2. I found myself getting a little frustrated at first, having to refer back to the manual to figure out why things weren’t doing what I expected. The lesson here though is RTFM. Don’t, as I did, knock back a few drinks, strap on your guitar and expect to be a one man band within the hour.

Once I worked through the excellently written manual though, trying out each function one by one until it started to make sense, I had the basics down and the fun started happening. This is truly a device that eats up hours at a time without you even realising it (in a good way). I am now able to drop in a beat, some bass lines, rhythm guitar, maybe an audio sample or two and then go to town with crazy solos over the top without looking at the manual! Success!

So here we go with a few more comments after a couple of weeks living with the 'rang.

The first thing that's glaringly obvious using the ‘rang is just how much the loop quantize feature of the Boss pedals helps out. If you miss-time a button press on the 'rang, you hear it. I tell myself being able to nail loops accurately can only help with my timing so I live with it, and honestly, in a week I've already become much better at counting myself in. The hardest part is actually timing drum samples. Whilst most loopers include drum patterns to jam along with, the ‘rang does not.

I’ve been using a couple of techniques to give myself a beat to play in time with. I have a few drum apps for my iPhone, so usually I’ll plug that into my amp, being sure to use the clean channel and no reverb for the cleanest sounding drum loops. Then it’s just a matter of tapping button three on the ‘rang at the right time to get a seamless drum loop happening. It’s a lot of work compared to the Boss units, and once the loop is stored you can’t alter the tempo like you can with a Boss looper either. Sure, the ‘rang has an octave down function, but that slows things down massively and is more of a special effect gimmick. The upshot is that you are forced to be creative rather than jamming to the same 2 drum loops all the time like I did with the RC2.

The second technique, the one most seen on YouTube, is to use your guitar to make some kind of percussive noise and then loop that. I can see that working a treat for the acoustic crowd, but as I don’t own an acoustic, I use my bass. I found by accident that if I tap the pickup in my bass hard enough it makes a “clunk” sound. The cool part about using my bass to loop a metronomic style beat, is that I can then immediately lay down a bass line or two over that, then plug in my guitar for the rest.

You can read about the features and functions all over the web so I won’t dive into that here, but instead talk briefly about what I’ve been using for the last couple of weeks. I am mostly using the newly implemented “Synch” play style which basically means you record a short percussive loop first, and all your other loops are synched to that (but not to each other). Due to the lack of quantisation, you need to be accurate with your button presses as I’ve mentioned previously, and I’ll often have several attempts at getting my “backing track” right before I launch into screaming solos mode.

Once you get your timing down and your loops recorded, the fun really begins. And oh what fun it is. I mentioned at the start that after using the RC-2 for a while I wanted more, well here’s where I expand on that a little.
Let’s say I want to jam over a verse and chorus, or even verse, bridge, chorus, instead of just playing over the same chord progression over and over.

To achieve this on the RC-2 I would have to stomp on the button, play the first section, double stomp to stop, then reach down and turn the dial to ‘save’ and press the ‘save’ button. Then turn the loop select dial to the nest free spot (assuming you haven’t saved any loops in it, if so you’ll need to erase it first which involves more twisting of dials and pressing of buttons with fingers rather than feet) and repeat the procedure. Then to jam over those sections you’ll need to reach down to twist the dial to move between saved loops. Not particularly user friendly.

To achieve the same result with the ‘rang is easy, and done completely with your feet. Tap a loop button and it starts recording, tap it again twice to stop (tapping it once will stop recording and start looping). Tap a second loop button and start playing the second phrase, tap again twice to stop. That’s it, you have your two (or up to four) sections ready to roll without using your hands. To actually start jamming, you can set up the ‘rang to play the loops sequentially with a button press, or simply bring them in and out at will. From there you can easily stack extra layers on loops, take them back out again, even delete and record new loops while other loops are playing. Awesome.

It’s a small thing I guess, but another thing I love being able to do on the ‘rang is to trash a loop while I’m recording it, something not possible on the RC-2. Let’s say I have a drum beat and a bass line running and I’m trying to record a rhythm loop and half way through I botch it up. On the RC-2, that means stopping all sounds, deleting the layer (or ‘stack’ in ‘rang speak) and starting over. On the ‘rang all I do is tap the ‘erase’ button and the loop isn’t saved but the rest of your loops keep running.

Basically being able to run loops while still recording new ones and messing with them is amazing fun. I’ve even started running my laptop into the second channel of my amp and using Audacity, I inject movie quotes, samples of other songs, and well, anything you like, all live. I also often use an app called ‘sample toy’ on my phone to record and sample sounds that I then mess up and loop (if you have seen a Korg KAOS Pad in action you get the idea)

Ch0jin
June 30th, 2011, 11:03 PM
Before I get too carried away, I’ll wrap up with a couple more observations.

I've seen nobody make mention of this in reviews, but whilst overall the ‘rang feels tank-esque in construction, the knobs feel pretty average. I was disappointed the first time I twisted one of the control knobs expecting the silky smooth glide of nice pot, but finding the looser, rickety feel of what I assume is a rotary encoder. Given the flexible nature of the controls, a pot wouldn't work, hence the use of something else I guess. It’s a small quibble, but it did genuinely surprise me.

Then there’s the volatile nature of loops. I mentioned it at the start and it’s worth mentioning again. A couple of times when I’ve had some really fun stuff laid down I found myself thinking “Gee I wish I could save that for later” What I do instead is just record it with my phone or mic up my amp and record it on my laptop, but you have to go into your relationship with the ‘rang knowing it’s a performance tool, not a recording tool. If you want to go deeper into multi tracking more than five loops and layering and so forth you need a PC. I’ll also add that being able to record loops on the RC-2 with its ten slots is both a blessing and a curse. It prevents you from working with multiple loops in real time, and it gives you a crutch to lean on if you don’t feel like being creative. The ‘rang is a blank canvas every time you power it on.

The creators also listen to the community! Version 2 of the firmware not only added all the features the developers wanted, they also added a few based on requests from the community. I’ve also discovered that the last big objection people had is actually in the process of being addressed! I’ve heard several people note that the ‘rang could use more buttons, as currently you can only assign 4 of the 10 ‘functions’ to buttons. If you have ‘erase’ ‘stack’ ‘undo’ and ‘fade’ assigned, you can’t tap a button for ‘reverse’ for example. Even more crippling is the fact that ‘reverse solo’ and ‘loop 4’ take up two of the four button assignments. Note that you CAN swap button assignments live, with loops playing though! However soon, with the release of the “Sidecar” companion pedal we can have an extra FIVE buttons to play with. (Although at what cost I have no idea, the ‘rang sure isn’t cheap as it is)

Of little concern to me, but worth throwing out there, is the fact that the pedal is not true bypass. It is however, completely transparent. It also does not do midi.

I’ll finish up with another positive though. Pedal builders take note of this one! The ‘rang cares not about your power supply polarity! It will accept negative tip, positive tip, heck; it even takes 9VAC if you like.

So there you have it. I have a couple of YouTube clips on my account, but they are more weird noises and samples than actual music so I'll leave those out for now ;) If I up anything decent I'll let y'all know.

Ch0jin
July 2nd, 2011, 07:00 AM
OK, so it looks like I need to spice up my little review.

Here are a few examples of the kind of fun I've been having with the Boomerang...

This first one is me sampling video and sound from 1938's "S*x Madness" and whilst totally SFW, is a dangerously sexy groove ;)

I obviously messed with the video, but the audio is basically live looping with my bass and iPhone (running Drum Beats and Baby Scratch) occupying both inputs of my amp, hence the clicking noises as I stomp on the 'rang

http://youtu.be/jdFAKs6t2Zw

This next one is getting back to guitar based stuff. It's actually a recording from my iPhone voice memo app that I put some other video to, so that's why its not in synch or anything.

I was trying for a Black Keys kind guitar sound, a really torn up fuzz sound, and am running a SHO clone at about midday into a germanium fuzz face clone with the fuzz maxed and volume at about 75% You'll notice when I kick it in :) The voice samples are my voice, again in Baby Scratch.

http://youtu.be/ay4nnbCd9E4

This last one was an accident. I was shooting some video to put with the previous clip and just kinda got sidetracked. Again, my BB1200 into my SHO clone into germanium fuzzface into Ultra 60 into Vase 4x12. All lopped with a Boomerang III, drums via Finger Drums on iPhone.

http://youtu.be/dkry13L4CrY

bcdon
July 6th, 2011, 05:58 PM
Great review! Sorry I missed it the first time.. and those are awesome videos. Nice playing! :dude

Ch0jin
July 6th, 2011, 07:35 PM
Hey thanks Don. I was beginning to think my review/videos were so awful everyone was simply too polite to comment :)

I am really loving the Boomerang. It's really helped transition my usage of a looper from simply getting down a couple of chords to solo over, to thinking about song structure from a multi-part and multi-instrumental point of view.

The video's are a bit of fun. Because the ones of my playing were shot in night vision mode it looks like I have a white cap, shirt and guitar, when in fact it's a black cap, shirt and a dark red guitar. Did make me think that if I bought a second BB1200 (the guitar in the video) that a natural wood finish would probably look cool though....

bcdon
July 6th, 2011, 10:28 PM
No way, man. I love your reviews... That's interesting about the night vision mode, is it also responsible for the backwards cap? ;-)

Robert
July 6th, 2011, 10:53 PM
Fantastic review. Been too busy to reply but I will ask thee some questions after I'm back from holidays.

Thanks a lot for sharing this. I've been interested in boomerang for a long time.

Ok one question. Any idea why they don't make it possible to save the loops on some kind of storage device? As well as importing wav files?

Ch0jin
July 6th, 2011, 11:35 PM
No way, man. I love your reviews... That's interesting about the night vision mode, is it also responsible for the backwards cap? ;-)

Hahaha, nah, that's a direct result of me having the mind of a 19 year old in the body of a 40 year old ;) Gotta look hip for the youtubers you know ;)

Ch0jin
July 7th, 2011, 12:23 AM
Fantastic review. Been too busy to reply but I will ask thee some questions after I'm back from holidays.

Thanks a lot for sharing this. I've been interested in boomerang for a long time.

Ok one question. Any idea why they don't make it possible to save the loops on some kind of storage device? As well as importing wav files?

Thanks! Happy to try to answer any questions, but unfortunately I don't know the answer to that one. That is however, THE big question everyone seems to ask though, with basically every other looper on the planet, including the lo-fi loop junky and it's clones, able to store loops in NVRAM, why can't the 'Rang?

To take a wild and unsubstantiated guess I'd say it's a limitation of the hardware platform they use (as in CPU/Memory etc) or it was never a design consideration in the first place. It would, I feel, add a substantial extra level of complexity to both the design and operation to have "save slots" or similar.

To put it another way, I do not get the feeling that save functionality was a last minute omission, it looks and feels like it was never meant to be there in the first place.

It is quite a glaring omission though, considering most other looper vendors are adding exponentially more save slots. I can't believe the RC-3 has taken the ten slots of the RC-2 to a hundred slots!

Regarding wav input, being able to load up samples via USB would be cool, especially as I'm also slowly learning how to drive Reason 5 at the moment, but I don't -need- to have it, because lately I've been running either my laptop or my iPhone into one channel of my amp and my guitar into the other. With all my time based and modulation FX in the amps loop, I can add real analogue effects to samples from my laptop or phone and as the 'rang occupies the last spot in my FX loop it captures everything.

The only little problem is, like most amps, using both hi and low gain inputs at the same time means they both become low gain inputs, so I have to nudge levels up a little to get my guitar to sound right, but as I have a SHO clone right after my tuna, gain and volume is not an issue ;) I could perhaps see myself getting a little 4 channel mixer though so I can run my iPhone, Laptop, and a Vocal Mic, all into either the amp, or one channel of the 'rang. (It's got smart switching so if you use two inputs and only one output it sums the inputs)

The only real drama I have with it is you cant access all the features, all the time, as I mention in the review. To use the fourth loop channel for example means losing two extra modes. It's not crippling, but it is restrictive. However, as I mentioned in the review, this is being addressed with an add-on product called the "Side Car" that I imagine I'll snap up as soon as they are released.

bcdon
July 26th, 2011, 05:45 PM
Hi Cho,

Just re-reading your fantastic review and found this along the way.
yj7-Fwhhrtc