PDA

View Full Version : Happy Canada Day

Robert
July 3rd, 2011, 05:47 PM
It was a great day on July 1st for me. I ran the Edmonton 15 km race, and I won! 11 years ago, I ran almost 2 minutes faster, but I was quite sharp back then. I was totally surprised to beat the young ones this year.

As I finished, our 17 year old girl told me she sprinted hard at the end of her 5 km race and finished in 2nd place! Fantastic Renman day!

Then I took some photos of the fireworks later in the evening.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-FC3icElrbqA/Tg9RfQKDTtI/AAAAAAAAA6g/KMjowvzuOFc/s800/P7022112.JPG

More here - https://picasaweb.google.com/CamroseRunClub/CanadaDayFireworks2011#

Katastrophe
July 3rd, 2011, 06:02 PM
Happy Canada day to you, and all our Canadian Fretters!

Congratulations, Robert, to both you and your daughter. It's quite an accomplishment for both of you.

syo
July 3rd, 2011, 10:38 PM
Congrats Robert. Way to represent us old farts! :running

marnold
July 4th, 2011, 10:08 AM
I think the difference between Canada Day and the Fourth of July says something about the differences between Canada and the United States. Canadians celebrate the day that the British said they could be a country. Americans celebrate the day that we told the British to get off our lawn or we would shoot them off. I didn't realize that it wasn't until 1982 that Canada became completely independent, although technically the Queen of England is still the Queen of Canada, right?

Congrats to Clan Renman on the run! I went running today without the brace and made it home in one piece. Nowhere near 15K (nor do I even think I will be), but progress nevertheless!

Robert
July 4th, 2011, 12:06 PM
Marnold, perhaps that would explain these statistics from 2000.

On a personal note, I'd rather have my car stolen than being shot in the face. :)

A comparison of police-reported crime rates between Canada and the United States for 2000
shows that the U.S. has much higher rates of violent crime, while Canada generally has higher
rates of property crime. Despite differences in rates, trends in crime between the two countries
have been quite similar over the past twenty years.
• In Canada, there were 542 homicides in 2000 resulting in a national rate of 1.8 homicides per
100,000 population. By comparison, there were 15,517 homicides in the U.S., resulting in a rate
(5.5) three times higher than Canada’s.
• Both countries have seen a decline in the number of homicides during the past decade, particularly
in the U.S. Twenty years ago, the American homicide rate was about four times that of Canada.
• Similarly, the aggravated assault rate in the U.S. was more than double the Canadian rate in 2000.
The U.S. also showed a higher rate of robbery (65% higher) than Canada. About 41% of robberies
in the U.S. involved a firearm, compared to 16% in Canada.
• Canada reported higher rates for three of the four comparable property offences. There were about
30% more break-ins and motor vehicle thefts per capita in Canada than the U.S. in 2000. While
Canada has had a higher rate of break-ins since the early 1980s, the motor vehicle theft rate has
only surpassed the American rate over the last five years. The arson rate in Canada was 40%
higher than in the U.S., while the U.S. reported 11% more thefts per capita than Canada.
• In examining arrest/charge data, the U.S. had much higher rates for drug offences, impaired driving
and prostitution.
• The report also compares crime rates among the nine largest metropolitan areas in each country.
With the exception of Boston, the remaining eight large American metropolitan areas had homicide
rates much higher than any of the nine largest Canadian metropolitan areas. Conversely, Vancouver
and Winnipeg reported higher rates of break-ins and motor vehicle thefts than any of the nine
American metropolitan areas.

Homicide rate is three times higher in U.S.
In 2000, the Canadian homicide rate was about one-third that
of the American rate. There were 542 homicides reported by
police in Canada for a rate of 1.8 per 100,000 population,
compared to 15,517 homicides in the U.S., for a rate of 5.5 per
100,000 population.

One in three Canadian homicides involved the use of firearms,
compared to two in three in the U.S.

Source (http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=3&ved=0CCsQFjAC&url=http%3A%2F%2Fdsp-psd.pwgsc.gc.ca%2FCollection-R%2FStatcan%2F85-002-XIE%2F0110185-002-XIE.pdf&rct=j&q=violence%20statistics%20compare%20usa%20canada&ei=iwESTum4MYvegQe6y5CUBw&usg=AFQjCNHlcl05FRo9zwuTWy3a26TAIhrpgA&sig2=vsl31HoxMVRUR7q7OdHJjA)

Tig
July 4th, 2011, 01:20 PM
Excellent firework photos in your gallery, Robert. You are becoming quite the photographer.

Nice bit of running you two accomplished. :running
Oh, and... Oh, Canada! :canada: :beer:

omegadot
July 7th, 2011, 11:02 AM
Hah, I was in Maryland with a Canadian friend last year on 01July. Drink abounded!