PDA

View Full Version : Droids - An experiment in fuzz in the style of the 'Black Keys'

Ch0jin
July 3rd, 2011, 08:11 PM
Video also posted in my NPD thread, but I love the fuzz sound so much I'm posting it here too.... :)

So I'm a big fan of the fuzzed out sounds associated with bands like the Black Keys, Dead Weather, and White Stripes, but have struggled to replicate that 'torn speaker' kind of extreme lead tone, especially at apartment volumes. I had been using just my single coil equipped BB1200 semi-hollow into a clone germanium fuzzface into my amp, and whilst that generates a monstrous wall of thick fuzz, I couldn't get the lead cut through I wanted.

That is, until I put my SHO clone in front of the FuzzFace.....

Up until 1:50 the lead sound is; Guitar - SHO Clone (midday) - slightly dirty amp. At 1:50 you hear me stomp on the FuzzFace with volume at 75% and fuzz maxed, and switch to bridge PU on the guitar... Man! That MOSFET boost really punches the fuzz in the teeth huh. :)

The backing track (all looped on my 'rang) is bass through a custom spec Big Muff, my voice sampled and scratched using 'Baby Scratch' and some clean bass along with a drum beat I tapped out using 'finger drums' (yup, my iPhone has definitely become another instrument)

Oh and yes, I'm aware the video doesn't synch with the audio. I actually recorded the track using my iPhone and then thought I'd record a video of myself playing as an afterthought. Part of the video of my playing made it into another video called "Saturday Night Special" however. Much noisier and more mistake filled, but if you're digging the fuzz tone it might be worth a look....

Anyway...Noisy stuff here.....

http://youtu.be/ay4nnbCd9E4

guitarhack
July 4th, 2011, 11:04 AM
Wow, takes me back to '69! Cool sounds.

bcdon
July 4th, 2011, 11:13 AM
Love it, very funky. I dig the video editing as well. Nice work! :dude

BTW, I really like the Huge Manatee!

R_of_G
July 5th, 2011, 07:21 AM
BTW, I really like the Huge Manatee!