PDA

View Full Version : Pinch Harmonics Lesson

Hogfullofblues
November 23rd, 2006, 12:56 PM
For all us newbies.

http://www.cyberfret.com/techniques/harmonics/pinch/index.php

Justaguyin_nc
November 23rd, 2006, 02:05 PM
tuff stuff there hog... I been trying to add in my thumb skin while picking.. one day can do it..sounds nice.. next day I got a hangnail sound going..lol.. practice practice practice...

duhvoodooman
November 23rd, 2006, 05:09 PM
Takes practice, for sure, but like that web page says, be sure to use plenty of gain/disortion while you're learning. It makes it much easier to "hit" the harmonics, which keeps you from getting discouraged as you learn.

I've been practicing this technique some lately, and I'm still far from mastering it, but here's a little sample recorded using the UK Modern model of my AD30VT with the Gain up around 2 o'clock and chorus reverb. A couple of the pinches ring out pretty well. I need better consistency, though. First time through is "pinchless", to show the natural tone of the set-up, then with some pinch harmonics 2nd time through:

Patriotic Pinching (http://www.box.net/public/noaui3repj)

P.S. I've noticed that Zeusse is really good at them. Maybe he'll give us a better demo than my meager effort! :DR

tremoloman
November 24th, 2006, 12:13 PM
Nuno Bettencourt taught me everything there is to know about pinnched harmonics. Just listen to the beginning of 'Decadance Dance' and you'll hear them as part of the main riff.

I remember first hearing that song and saying to myself "How the hell does he do THAT?!?". When I asked him in person, he wouldn't tell me - he said "One day, you'll figure it out on your own and when you do you will be glad I didn't spoon feed it to you." He was so spot-on!

I use pinched harmonics to add flavor to solos and riffs on most of the songs I play. It's become an intrical part of my sound.

zeusse
November 24th, 2006, 02:09 PM
I gotta say when I first started playing and listening to Boston especially on Long Time I was just in awe of what I was hearing and yes Tom had this technique even before Eddie thats what makes that album one of the best ever in my opinion. I saw Van Halen for the first time on the Women and Children First tour and managed to scam a pair of 13th row tickets right in front of Eddie, mind you back then he never stayed in one spot too long. When the show started I ended up around 3 row in the crunch but it was ok hot chicks everywhere. I watched Eddie the whole show and then realized its not the technical aspect of his playing cause he ain't got that much but its more of how many rabbits can this dude pull out of his hat. But the pinch I couldn't figure out hard to see exactly what he was doing. But the next week at a guitar store in Toronto (think it was Steve's Music) I watch this 14year old play almost every VH lick there was...........................stunned I say " man you gotta show me I'll even buy your strings for ya" so there you go never feel bad about asking for advice even if their older or younger than you. Its all about the end result not ego! So since your asking I'll throw a pinch test thing together.
1. Use edge of pick
2. Dig in pick not pluck
3. Angle stoke or pluck
4. with fingering hand bend string for the Wailing harmonic as I call it
5. Add some vibrato in the bend
6. After you get the pinch add a tap on the 5th,7th,or octave of that note your bending farther up the neck
7. do a pull off as you pluck the string

I will get some video tutorials after I get my new computer and digital cam. The web cam I have doesn't give a decent picture...unless Rob can hit this technique for ya...but I can post some audio with some explanation

sofia712
June 2nd, 2008, 05:37 AM
I want to get a guitar that I can learn on easy and that will give me the option of playing both classical and pop/rock songs. Does anyone know a nice cheapish guitar that is good for a beginner but will last me a while? And also what a good guitar lesson site is that is free? I want to learn really badly and I don't know how to do anything on the guitar. So if you could please help me that would be great.

Childbride
June 2nd, 2008, 07:57 PM
Sofia, i invite you to post on 'the Fret Players' section of the forum so everyone can get to know you.

this is a very friendly, informative group, and i think once you do that you may get some answers to your questions.

Welcome! :)

thearabianmage
June 2nd, 2008, 08:11 PM
Pinch harmonics become very easy once you learn where the harmonics past the fretboard are. There are dozens on each string from the end of the fretboard to the end of bridge pup, where they stop being pupped. You can do artificial harmonics to find them, then practice them with the pinch technique. Do as Zeusse says as far as technique is concerned. . . He's pretty spot on there.

A cool trick - if you hold down a fret on a string (low E for ex.) and find a harmonic, you can move up a fret 'with both hands' so-to-say and you have another harmonic. You can make harmonic riffs this way. It's pretty fun(ky).

Tim
June 3rd, 2008, 11:46 AM
Thanks for the information thearabianmage and zeusse. Another learning session to add to my already busy schedule.

thearabianmage
June 3rd, 2008, 03:47 PM
Anytime! :AOK:

just strum
June 3rd, 2008, 04:52 PM
I want to get a guitar that I can learn on easy and that will give me the option of playing both classical and pop/rock songs. Does anyone know a nice cheapish guitar that is good for a beginner but will last me a while? And also what a good guitar lesson site is that is free? I want to learn really badly and I don't know how to do anything on the guitar. So if you could please help me that would be great.

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h16/auroraohio/Smiley/hatespammers.gifhttp://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h16/auroraohio/Smiley/spam.gif

Tim
June 3rd, 2008, 09:46 PM
Good eye Just Strum. I totally missed it.

thearabianmage
June 4th, 2008, 05:40 AM
How is that spam, though? They aren't trying to get us to go anywhere. . .:confused:

warren0728
June 4th, 2008, 03:49 PM
How is that spam, though? They aren't trying to get us to go anywhere. . .:confused:
the link in the sig is a commercial site....

ww

thearabianmage
June 4th, 2008, 05:35 PM
Oh, ok. I don't display sigs so I wouldn't have caught that. . .