PDA

View Full Version : Reverb Pedals?

Eric
July 7th, 2011, 08:17 PM
Hi all,

At present, I'm finding that I like reverb more than I like delay, though they often end up doing the same thing, in that they add body to your notes. I occasionally go direct, either when playing live or recording at home, so while most of my amps have reverb built in, sometimes I need a pedal to provide this. I've been looking around at reverb pedals, and the options are plentiful, so I'm here to ask if any of you have recommendations for a good reverb pedal. I usually cheap out on effects, but I'm actually willing to spend some decent coin on a reverb pedal, so all suggestions are welcome. The list of well-regarded 'verb pedals so far seems to be

EHX Holy Grail
Strymon Blue Sky (probably too much coin, but worth considering)
Neunaber WET Reverb
Boss RV-5
Digitech Hardwire RV-7
TCE Hall of Fame

Some of these are pretty hard to find, so I haven't been able to test many/any yet, as I'm still collecting ideas and recommendations. Any thoughts or recommendations?

bcdon
July 7th, 2011, 09:11 PM
Hi Eric,

I saw you mention in another post that you thought you had too many amphs (that was you, no?), so, why not skip the reverb pedal, sell a couple of amphs, and buy one amph that has awesome reverb? I know I am biased, but Mesa has some fantastic amphs with equally awesome reverb.

Eric
July 7th, 2011, 09:28 PM
Hi Eric,

I saw you mention in another post that you thought you had too many amphs (that was you, no?), so, why not skip the reverb pedal, sell a couple of amphs, and buy one amph that has awesome reverb? I know I am biased, but Mesa has some fantastic amphs with equally awesome reverb.
Well, at least one of the amphs I have has pretty good reverb (Tech 21 TM60). The Jet City reverb is pretty underwhelming, but more to the point, when I was playing at my church before I switched churches, I would regularly DI to the mixer with a Sansamp. The cleans can then be kind of flat, so I was looking for a reverb pedal for when those situations surface again, since I'm most likely not done playing in churches.

Still, I get your point, and I'll probably mull that over before I buy anything. I guess the larger point for me is that sometimes I don't use an amp, so I "need" some sort of outboard reverb for the big, ringing clean parts in sparse songs.

Pickngrin
July 7th, 2011, 09:31 PM
Eric,
I've had the Electroharmonix Holy Grail for about 5 years and I really like it. Not that I have the most discriminating ears, but this thing just sounds like spring reverb to me. It doesn't sound artificial or overly processed. I haven't tried the others you listed, so I can't comment on those.

bcdon
July 7th, 2011, 09:35 PM
Maybe you just need to find a church that has better natural reverb? ;-)

MAXIFUNK
July 7th, 2011, 09:54 PM
TCE Hall of Fame gets my vote

deeaa
July 7th, 2011, 10:29 PM
I only have experience of a couple of verb pedals, and the problem with all of them, when used in front of the amp, has been that you just can't get the mix low enough. First there is no reverb, and no matter how little you turn that knob, it gets too much already.

That is why I have sometimes rather used a multiFX unit in the loop for reverbs etc.

BTW I have 2 Boss SE-50 units, old, 80's stuff...but they have insanely rich, lush reverbs - plenty of early reflection delay available and maybe they are artificial, but boy they warm up any signal superbly...I have to devise some way to catch that verb on my PC, somehow route it as external FX device, it's so good it just kicks the butt of any plugin verb I ever tried. I use one on the monitoring side for hearing verb when I record, but I never get it to sound as good as it does once it's committed to track and I try to replicate it with plugins.

If my current amp had a loop, I'd use one of those units.

Ch0jin
July 7th, 2011, 10:58 PM
My vote would be for the Strymon first and the Holy Grail second. I've heard lots of the Strymon and used the Holy Grail. Both sound great to me. After I somehow get a hold of an el Capistan (talk about your rare pedals) I want a Blue Sky.

Oh, I forgot, I also have an el-cheapo Behringer reverb pedal. It's awful, just awful. The spring reverb in my Peavey eats it up and spits it out.

Eric
July 8th, 2011, 04:03 AM
Maybe you just need to find a church that has better natural reverb? ;-)
You mean like this?? :D

http://www.ehx.com/assets/jpg240h/cathedral.jpg

Tig
July 8th, 2011, 04:44 AM

That is an incredible reverb pedal. I was tempted to get one, but it might be like buying a huge tool chest when all I need is a simple tool box.

bcdon
July 8th, 2011, 08:27 AM

Exactly! :dude

tunghaichuan
July 8th, 2011, 08:53 AM
I have the Boss RV-5. I use it in stereo with two amps, both set clean. I use dirt pedals to get my distortion.

I use mainly the plate reverb setting, set pretty low just enough to give the notes a slight ambiance. Too much reverb sounds like the notes are coming out of the bottom of the canyon.

The modulated reverb is good too.

Eric
July 8th, 2011, 08:59 AM
I have the Boss RV-5. I use it in stereo with two amps, both set clean. I use dirt pedals to get my distortion.

I use mainly the plate reverb setting, set pretty low just enough to give the notes a slight ambiance. Too much reverb sounds like the notes are coming out of the bottom of the canyon.

The modulated reverb is good too.
So, that's a worthwhile point: I don't run stereo at present. Is it a waste of money to get a stereo reverb, or possibly even inadvisable? A lot of the ones out there are stereo, but I figured you didn't lose too too much by running it mono. I suppose my real point is whether you pay a lot for a stereo reverb. Up to now, I was really only looking at the quality of the effect, not whether it's stereo or mono.

I agree that reverb can get pretty unwieldy pretty quickly, but it makes a world of difference to me when playing either lead lines or, more specifically, clean arpeggiated parts. I take it you like the RV-5?

tunghaichuan
July 8th, 2011, 09:19 AM
So, that's a worthwhile point: I don't run stereo at present. Is it a waste of money to get a stereo reverb, or possibly even inadvisable? A lot of the ones out there are stereo, but I figured you didn't lose too too much by running it mono. I suppose my real point is whether you pay a lot for a stereo reverb. Up to now, I was really only looking at the quality of the effect, not whether it's stereo or mono.

I've seen the RV-5 as low as $60 on Craigslist, so at that price I'd get one even if I were running it mono. Stereo can be kind of a PITA because you have to have two of everything, amp/speaker wise of course. But it is nice to have the option of stereo if you need it.

I think the RV-5 sounds good, and I do like it. A lot of people have remarked that the modulated reverb sounds much better than offerings from other companies. My favorite is the plate reverb setting, but it is kind of touchy to get the right amount dialed in.

OTOH, you can pay a lot for a good mono reverb: The Wet Reverb (http://www.neunabertechnology.com/products/wet-reverb) is highly regarded, but runs about $200 new and is only mono. The company is planning a stereo version but it is not available yet.

I agree that reverb can get pretty unwieldy pretty quickly, but it makes a world of difference to me when playing either lead lines or, more specifically, clean arpeggiated parts. I take it you like the RV-5?

Too much 'verb IMHO can wash out the signal fast. Personally I like delay better for leads. Too much reverb can wash out the signal so that it becomes indistinct and sounds very far away, which isn't something I'd want for a lead tone.

One of the best reverb sounds I've heard was back in the 80s. I bought a Rockman X-100 headphone amp from this guy who had it plugged into a rackmount reverb (can't remember which one.) The reverb and lead tone were mixed perfectly so that the reverb enhanced the lead tone, and it wasn't washed out. It was a great sales tool :)

duhvoodooman
July 8th, 2011, 09:40 AM
Since you asked....

If you want one of those bazillion-reverb-sounds-in-a-box pedals, I can't help you. But if you want a killer-sounding spring reverb pedal:

http://www.duhvoodooman.com/miscimages/musical/reverb.htm

$115 assembled & tested, or $145 painted & decaled as shown on that web link......

Eric
July 8th, 2011, 09:44 AM
Since you asked....

If you want one of those bazillion-reverb-sounds-in-a-box pedals, I can't help you. But if you want a killer-sounding spring reverb pedal:

http://www.duhvoodooman.com/miscimages/musical/reverb.htm

$115 assembled & tested, or $145 painted & decaled as shown on that web link......
Funny you should mention that. I was considering either a BYOC or GGG reverb pedal.

One thing I should note is that I don't really know what type of reverb I like. When I had my ME-50, I usually left it on 'hall,' but I guess I should check into the difference between the various types and see which one I prefer.

tunghaichuan
July 8th, 2011, 10:10 AM
Funny you should mention that. I was considering either a BYOC or GGG reverb pedal.

One thing I should note is that I don't really know what type of reverb I like. When I had my ME-50, I usually left it on 'hall,' but I guess I should check into the difference between the various types and see which one I prefer.

One quick note on the RV-5: if you decide you like digital spring reverb, don't get the Boss RV-5. That setting sounds terrible. It has this annoying pingy quality. The other settings more than make up for it, IMHO.

The Digitech Hardwire pedal gets good reviews

If you don't know what type of reverb you like yet, pedals with multiple settings can be useful in pinpointing what you do like. There is something to be said for stand alone one-type reverb pedals like the Wet or the BYOC. Both of those are set and forget, but do have some adjustability.

Eric
July 8th, 2011, 10:24 AM
If you don't know what type of reverb you like yet, pedals with multiple settings can be useful in pinpointing what you do like. There is something to be said for stand alone one-type reverb pedals like the Wet or the BYOC. Both of those are set and forget, but do have some adjustability.
See, this is cutting right to the heart of the issue. I would ultimately like to avoid a pedal that's too much of a dilletante, because often they have tons of options to make up for not having anything astounding. I just want something that sounds good and works. Problem is, A) I don't really know what I want until I hear it, and B) I'm actually not all that discriminating: usually, if it gets in the ballpark, I'm happy. However, I don't want to get something I will immediately want to upgrade.

So that leaves me in this place where I'm basically fishing for recommendations from other people. At this point, I've seen a few used Hardwire RV-7 pedals for $90-100, which doesn't seem too bad. The RV-5 is right in that same range, the Holy Grail is about $70+, HOF starts at about $110-120, BYOC is $90 if I want to build it, Wet commands used prices up to $175, and Strymon is a good $100 beyond that, even used.

So all that being said, it's probably going to be a combo of what I can get a good deal on, combined with a rough priority list. Right now I'd put it like this:

Neunaber Wet
Hardwire RV-7
Boss RV-5
EHX Holy Grail
TCE Hall of Fame
BYOC / GGG

I'll probably just cross my fingers and hope for the best, depending on what I end up with. I figure these would all be just fine by my standards, so cheapa$$ that I am, I will probably just shop around for the best deal.

Thanks for all of the input so far.

marnold
July 8th, 2011, 12:04 PM
I always like this guy's demos. The only problem is that he can make a turd sound pretty good.

Neunaber Wet
paIpgtQ9rcc

Hardwire RV-7
nZ5_UUUS8X8

Retro Hound
July 8th, 2011, 03:15 PM
Here's one on my local CL that started out at $45, but is down to $30. "Cool Vintage 1980's Realistic Electronic Reverb Box" http://seks.craigslist.org/msg/2469194761.html

EDIT: if (big if) this is something you want I could get it and mail it.

tunghaichuan
July 8th, 2011, 03:33 PM
Here's one on my local CL that started out at $45, but is down to $30. "Cool Vintage 1980's Realistic Electronic Reverb Box" http://seks.craigslist.org/msg/2469194761.html

EDIT: if (big if) this is something you want I could get it and mail it.

Not to be a wet blanket, but I actually owned one of those back in the 80s. It doesn't really do reverb, more like slap back delay/echo. I remember being disappointed that it didn't do reverb very well. I ended up getting a Sony rackmount reverb.

Modern reverb pedals sound so much better than RS box.

However, it could be cool for wacky, offbeat sounds.

Brian Johnston
July 9th, 2011, 05:35 AM
I'm looking into getting a reverb in about a month or so, when it's ready. I find most reverbs sound like you're playing in an aluminum building. Something cheap about them. The best reverb I've heard (via youtube, since it's not quite ready), and from talk in the industry, is being developed by Carr Amps... a 5 tube pedal (it's about a foot square, and so it's not small). Unfortunately, you're looking at about $1,000 for the unit... it's costly and does not fit on a pedal board (unless you have little going on in that regard), but it has a very authentic sound and not weak or digital sounding.

kidsmoke
July 10th, 2011, 01:58 PM
I'm one who likes very little reverb, but never play without it. I had a EHX HG which did a nice job, but mine went bad. I went with DVM's Spring Fever. I wouldn't consider myself to have the most discerning ear, but I love the quality of sound it adds, and it gets dripping wet without the tinny sound the HG added, but I don't go there anyway.

The thing is built like a tank, simple, looks classy, and supports a brother building here in the USA.

Couldn't be happier with it.

Eric
July 11th, 2011, 12:49 PM
Today I checked out an RV-5 that I found for $60 on craigslist. Unfortunately, it was in pretty rough shape, and couldn't even be switched off/bypassed. I passed on it; I figure $60 is enough money that I want something that at least functions properly.

otaypanky
July 13th, 2011, 05:39 AM
I had a Holy Grail, the old wedge style, and it sounded really good to me. It had a switch that sometimes was sometimes intermittent but stepping on it again would get you going. It wasn't an issue for me as I would just leave it on. I have a Fender reverb tank which sounds great but they're pricey. And I have a Boss FRV-1 which is supposed to be styled after the 3 control Fender tanks. The FRV-1 sounds ok but I only like it at very low settings

Eric
July 13th, 2011, 06:15 PM
I've been collecting pedals recently. I got an RV-7 today for $90, and it sounds pretty darn good. Yesterday was a DD-6 for $50, and tomorrow is an RE-20. I'd better get to using these!

bcdon
July 13th, 2011, 06:23 PM
I've been collecting pedals recently. I got an RV-7 today for $90, and it sounds pretty darn good. Yesterday was a DD-6 for $50, and tomorrow is an RE-20. I'd better get to using these!

Congrats!

Duffy
July 14th, 2011, 04:07 AM
Eric, I've got an RV7 and it's the best reverb pedal I've owned. It sounds better to me than all of the reverb pedals I've tried.

When I am not using a multipedal I use a Bad Monkey and the RV7 in line to the amp and get a great sound.