PDA

View Full Version : What guitar tuner?

Robert
November 23rd, 2006, 01:19 PM
What guitar tuner do you use or recommend?

I use a Rocktron tuner, it's pretty good but it's kinda big. And it's pink. :)

I have heard this Intellitouch tuner mentioned - see http://www.acousticfingerstyle.com/ContactTuners.htm
It is a clip-on style tuner that is designed to clip onto the headstock of your guitar. Interestingly enough, it seems to work well.

Then we have the Peterson Strobostomp - http://www.petersontuners.com/products/strobostomp/index.cfm
which seems to be very good, but quite expensive.

The trusty old Boss TU-2 and the Korg DT-10 are also good tuners.

What's your thoughts on tuners?

oldguy
November 23rd, 2006, 01:34 PM
I have the Boss TU-12 chromatic and it works quite well, nice steady needle on that one. The setup/repair guy I go to used a Peterson strobe, swears by it for precise intonation set-ups.
Glenn

Robert
November 23rd, 2006, 01:48 PM
I've also heard people complain about the Peterson tuner, saying it's too exact, meaning it gives too much information and it goes up and down too easily. However, that could be because of other reasons like poor intonation, etc. I've never tried one so I can't point the thumb in any direction on that one...:)

sunvalleylaw
November 23rd, 2006, 02:05 PM
I have the Boss TU-12 chromatic and it works quite well, nice steady needle on that one. The setup/repair guy I go to used a Peterson strobe, swears by it for precise intonation set-ups.
Glenn

I have the Korg CA-30, chromatic. I have used a few others owned by friends and find this one much easier/better. (steadier neadle, good display) It tunes the acoustic well and steadily and the electric plugs in via its cable. You can also plug an attachment (sold separately) into the "cable hole" that then clips onto an acoustic if it does not have an output, so that you get the advantage of the inellitouche style.

Justaguyin_nc
November 23rd, 2006, 02:11 PM
I have a Fender PT-100 which I like for the bright display as I am half blind at times it seems... one thing I was wondering..I know it's a cheap tuner.. but do all tuners sometimes hang on a note.. what I mean is I try to follow the notes on the tuner as I play.. for learning the fretboard and actually seeing what I hit and if its on key or when bending... sometimes though I might hit a note and then 2-3 more before it changes to what I am on...is this normal? or are better expensive tuners quicker , picking up the last note played instantly? sorry if this does not make sense?

Robert
November 23rd, 2006, 03:14 PM
Justa, a good tuner probably wouldn't do that as much.

kerc
November 23rd, 2006, 03:32 PM
Boss TU-12H user here. You know what tuners are nice and cheap? Those Fenders that are clear with sparkles...They are very precise with little needle wander.

ted s
November 23rd, 2006, 04:11 PM
I have a Korg Pandora and am very happy with the built in tuner.

Plank_Spanker
November 23rd, 2006, 09:01 PM
I have two - a Korg DTR1000 in the rack I use with the Johnsons, and a Korg GT12 for my pedalboard. The GT12 is sweet - small box, real meter movement, and great back lighting.

Mark
November 23rd, 2006, 09:21 PM
I have a Peterson Strobostomp and it is a great tuner plus it is much more accurate (1/10 cent) than most. The thing with the strobe tuner is you cant PLUCK the string like the first note on Ironman. They are sensitive I turn my guitar volume to about 3 then lightly pick the string and adjust from there. With its better accuracy it is much better suited to setting up your guitars intonation. I m real pleased with mine. Oh and the display is well lighted and easy to read from a standing position

tremoloman
November 23rd, 2006, 11:47 PM
I love my Boss TU-2 Chromatic Tuner. It's great for gigs, easy to read, and doubles as a kill switch so I can swap guitars without having to power down my amp to keep the speakers from blowing from the infamous "POP".

http://www.sweetwater.com/images/items/TU2.jpg

It may not have all the bells and whistles of the model you mentioned, but this thing is indestructable and does allow for various tunings.

I learned my lesson from blowing my 15" in my Peavey Classic 50 a couple of years ago the hard way.

tot_Ou_tard
November 25th, 2006, 09:59 PM
i've thought alot about the strobostomp..methinks I am getting a wee bit obsessed about tuning and intonation. I do my own setups.

One thing I learned by poking around is that it is easier to use a tuner if you:

1) Use the neck pup with the volume rolled back.
2) roll back the tone knob.

people claim that this makes a huge difference with the strobostomp & it certainely makes it faster for me to tune using my Korg Chromatic tuner.