PDA

View Full Version : Lesson: Playing "Outside" with the Pentatonic Scale

Robert
July 8th, 2011, 08:17 AM
Today's Free Lesson Friday is about playing hip, "outside" notes by using a simple technique.

Check this out -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XavyoR7ExwM&feature=player_embedded

R_of_G
July 8th, 2011, 10:08 AM
Thanks a bunch for this one Robert.
I can definitely incorporate these ideas into my playing.

Tig
July 8th, 2011, 02:28 PM
Excellent lesson, Robert!
It opens up some cool jazz possibilities.

Oh, nice guitar! :AOK

aeolian
July 8th, 2011, 02:54 PM
Really good lesson since I have in the past casually tried to figure out if moving the pentatonic box can work.

One question though, does it only work if the backing chord stays an E shuffle? What if it is more of a standard 1-4-5 shuffle?

Retro Hound
July 8th, 2011, 03:20 PM
I miss you saying "dot com" after dolphinstreet cause I like the way you northerners sound when you say stuff like that.

Monkus
July 12th, 2011, 12:39 PM
interesting lesson, my head is going to explode. what genre does this lend itself easily to? What chord progressions will this work over? Feeling my neurons realign themselves... :what

Robert
July 18th, 2011, 09:40 AM
interesting lesson, my head is going to explode. what genre does this lend itself easily to? What chord progressions will this work over? Feeling my neurons realign themselves... :what

Hey Monkus, you can use this approach over static chords, like E7 or E minor in this example. Genre could be jazz, fusion or whatever you want to call it. It's not for those who want to sound like BB King or SRV perhaps, but it creates some cool tension, which will make the listener go "wow! What was that!?"

:cool:

Rock on

Neal
July 18th, 2011, 03:50 PM
Good stuff Robert. Been away for a while, and I'm looking to get back on the good foot.

Monkus
July 20th, 2011, 09:40 AM
Thanks Robert! I tried it yesterday at practise and it resolved nicely. Thankssssss!