PDA

View Full Version : I highly recommend Rose Mariposa Pickups!

MAXIFUNK
July 9th, 2011, 03:27 AM
After a LONG A VERY LONG contemplation period I finally ordered some pups for my 2006 FRS Strat.
I decided on Rose Mariposa's USA hand wound single coils.
I wanted USA made pickups and a local California vendor so it was Rose or Seymour Duncan. Rose prices pretty much put an end to the contest. LOL Ken at Rose was very cool and responded to my emails rather quickly and gave me great insight about his products.

He over wound them for me here are the specs:
Neck 8500, 6.3K
Middle 8700, 6.4K
Bridge 9 000, 6.6K

The best way to describe these pups they are extremely articulate, detailed, crystal clear, and responsive more musical than any of the Strat pickups in my small collection of Stratocasters. I Compared them to my Texas special's in my HSS Strat they do not have the bottom end or as loud (might just need to raise them some) they both have bite but the Mariposa's are in just a few words cleaner & clearer. The Texas specials have grit in spades the Mariposa's don't but its not a bad thing at all. They do not sound like any of the 3 fenders pickups sets I own they have their own sound. I also compared them to the pups in my Paisley Strat I am not sure what pups are in this guitar but they are a good pups not as detailed or articulate as the Mariposa's but has a great clean tone just the same. IMHO not as good as the Mariposa's but then again they have a tone different from the T.S's or M's. So I now have 3 Strats with 3 completely different tones which is not bad thing at all.

One thing I forgot to mention is the bridge pickups does not have an ounce of harshness or shrill or ice pick Strat tone at all. I am more than pleased with that to say the least.

Tomorrow I am going to try them out with my few pedals and report back.

Tig
July 9th, 2011, 03:56 AM
Nice write up, Maxi. The Mariposa's must sound nice.

bcdon
July 9th, 2011, 09:32 AM
Congrats! It's great to have each guitar sounding a bit different. Glad you are happy with the new pups! :dude

FrankenFretter
July 9th, 2011, 10:34 AM
I almost went with Rose for my Agile Lemon Drop project. I may just use them the next time that I need some hand-wound pickups. Thanks for the review!

MAXIFUNK
July 16th, 2011, 01:56 PM
The over wound Mariposa's are by far the best sounding singles coils pickups I own after test driving them with my few pedals Boss ME-25 & Vox Satchurator Distortion Pedals. All I can say is WOW!!! The detail, clarity, & tone just jumps out of the amp. I took my axe to the local GAS station and the teachers there and a few patrons were raving over how good they sound as well as my band members ( I'm the bass player) both guitar players went on-line and ordered some pickups right on the spot single coils and Humbuckers. Distorted & Clean these pickups produce a great tone can't wait to upgrade my Tele and Paisley Strat.

Commodore 64
July 18th, 2011, 01:47 PM
Ken is a nice guy. I've ordered 3 sets of pups from Rose. A set of Westerlands, an Extra Westerland neck (which is still in a box on my desk, I believe I promised it to Maxifunk), and a Rose Bourbon/Alba combo for my tele. I've been pleased with all of the PUPs. Fast shipping, even on the hand-wounds.

MAXIFUNK
July 18th, 2011, 04:17 PM
Ken is a nice guy. I've ordered 3 sets of pups from Rose. A set of Westerlands, an Extra Westerland neck (which is still in a box on my desk, I believe I promised it to Maxifunk), and a Rose Bourbon/Alba combo for my tele. I've been pleased with all of the PUPs. Fast shipping, even on the hand-wounds.

Yeah you did no rush whenever you can life keeps us all very busy.... thanks 64