PDA

View Full Version : Playing around with my new Laney amp

stingx
July 9th, 2011, 04:56 PM
About a month ago I was at the NJ AMP show and found myself very impressed with the Cub 12R that the Laney fellas had in their room. I was tempted by the VC15 and the Lionheart as well but what really peaked my interest in the Cub was the .75W option it sports. Boy this amp really delivers the tone. The cleans have plenty of headroom on the 15W setting and, though I wouldn't go as far as to say "Fendery," they do sound quite good - nice and shimmery. Once you start cooking the tubes this amp delivers the goods in spades. It does the classic rock sound to a tee. It takes pedals extremely well and I've since grabbed a used RP500 from the 'bay for use as a sonic pallet specifically for this amp.

Anyway, there are plenty of in-depth reviews all over the interwebs about this particular amp if anyone is debating on amp purchases. There are plenty of good youtube videos as well that really show off what it can do. Speaking of youtube videos, I was jamming to some Stones backers earlier today and decided to capture the sound of the Laney so I busted out my iPhone and shot the following. Just me playing to Gimme Shelter on my JV Strat through the Laney Cub 12R. Hope you dig it...

qV_Vth2hG4g

bcdon
July 10th, 2011, 03:38 PM
Very nice! Sounds great and excellent playing on one of my favourite Stones' songs.. One question, how did you do that video cross-hair overlay on the video?

stingx
July 10th, 2011, 07:42 PM
Thanks, man :) I use Cyberlink Power Director and Cyberlink has a web site for all kinds of effects and what have you: http://directorzone.cyberlink.com/
You can find all kinds of very cool stuff there.

Lev
July 11th, 2011, 07:42 AM
Great Clip, you really have that Stones tone nailed. I'm currently on a new tube amp quest and Laneys have featured in my search, they do make some great sounding amps.

R_of_G
July 11th, 2011, 07:55 AM
Very nice clip.
Great tone for that era of Stones.
:)

stingx
July 11th, 2011, 08:13 AM
Thanks, guys. In also wanted to test the recording abilities of the RP500, I did a quick session in Mackie Tracktion with the same backing track - rhythm guitars centered, lead to the right. Used my Schecter PT this time and picked a basic Fender Blackface, verb, some delay, and a bit 'o crunch.

Click on image to play...

http://www.rollingstonesnet.com/images/GimmeShelterMovie.jpg (http://stubble.org/music/gimme_shelter.mp3)

I have been a long time Line 6 advocate but have since sold my Line 6 gear and am very satisfied with switch over to Digitech.

Eric
July 11th, 2011, 08:35 AM
Thanks, guys. In also wanted to test the recording abilities of the RP500, I did a quick session in Mackie Tracktion with the same backing track - rhythm guitars centered, lead to the right. Used my Schecter PT this time and picked a basic Fender Blackface, verb, some delay, and a bit 'o crunch.

I have been a long time Line 6 advocate but have since sold my Line 6 gear and am very satisfied with switch over to Digitech.
Interesting -- I thought I had read that you were going to upgrade from your older Pod XT (or X3) to the Pod HD500 bean. What made you decide on the RP500 instead?

stingx
July 11th, 2011, 09:13 AM
Hi Eric,

You're right. My initial plan was to go the Pod HD bean route. This was all based on some really great demos that Robert made. I also planned on other items as well. I originally was looking at the Marshall 5 and Blackstar 5 or 1R combos as well. I ended up going to an amp show about a month ago and I was completely floored by the Cub 12R while hanging out with the Laney guys. Actually, I was very impressed by several models they had there including the Lionhearts and the VC15. What sealed the deal for me was how amazing the Cub sounded in both the .75W AND 15W settings. Throw in reverb, FX loop, and the ability to cater to any ohm ext cab and that was all she wrote!

Just prior to visiting the show, I purchased a Fender Mustang III. I really liked it but couldn't get past some of the fizz I was detecting in some of the models (I even exchanged it for another). I thought I'd use it for practice and recording and to save both cash and space, I traded an older Randall Amp and the XT for the 'stang. After buying the Cub at the show, I returned the Mustang and got a refund. I then got the idea to clean up all pedals and just use a single interface. All the research I did pointed to the RP500 for being the best solution in front of an amp for effects. The icing on the cake was I liked how the modeling sounded too! Anyway, there's a great comparison on The Gear Page by some seasoned touring veterans that weigh the merits of both the RP500 (1000) and the HD500 from Line 6. It comes down to personal taste, of course, but I really liked the RP better and got a used one from the 'bay for about the cost of a boutique pedal. Less, actually. It works very well with the C30 and the Laney and I love the reverbs and other effects on it. I mostly use it sans cab/amp sim and simply as a pedalboard with effects.

Long story but there you have it. :)

Eric
July 11th, 2011, 10:05 AM
Hi Eric,

You're right. My initial plan was to go the Pod HD bean route. This was all based on some really great demos that Robert made. I also planned on other items as well. I originally was looking at the Marshall 5 and Blackstar 5 or 1R combos as well. I ended up going to an amp show about a month ago and I was completely floored by the Cub 12R while hanging out with the Laney guys. Actually, I was very impressed by several models they had there including the Lionhearts and the VC15. What sealed the deal for me was how amazing the Cub sounded in both the .75W AND 15W settings. Throw in reverb, FX loop, and the ability to cater to any ohm ext cab and that was all she wrote!

Just prior to visiting the show, I purchased a Fender Mustang III. I really liked it but couldn't get past some of the fizz I was detecting in some of the models (I even exchanged it for another). I thought I'd use it for practice and recording and to save both cash and space, I traded an older Randall Amp and the XT for the 'stang. After buying the Cub at the show, I returned the Mustang and got a refund. I then got the idea to clean up all pedals and just use a single interface. All the research I did pointed to the RP500 for being the best solution in front of an amp for effects. The icing on the cake was I liked how the modeling sounded too! Anyway, there's a great comparison on The Gear Page by some seasoned touring veterans that weigh the merits of both the RP500 (1000) and the HD500 from Line 6. It comes down to personal taste, of course, but I really liked the RP better and got a used one from the 'bay for about the cost of a boutique pedal. Less, actually. It works very well with the C30 and the Laney and I love the reverbs and other effects on it. I mostly use it sans cab/amp sim and simply as a pedalboard with effects.

Long story but there you have it. :)
Interesting. I've heard rumblings that the Digitech effects (at least the dirt) are better than the Line 6, so that makes sense.

Congrats on the new gear. Your first demo sounds good (haven't listened to the second one yet).

Tig
July 11th, 2011, 12:55 PM
A quick note on the Mustang amps. (I know, too late)
Like most new modeling amps, you need to update their firmware via the computer/download. Also, several of the factory models really suck, so replace the one's you don't like with either the thousands ofuser created patches in the Mustang site, or with your own.

The same goes for the HD POD's, but the updates are much more important.

Eric
July 11th, 2011, 01:11 PM
A quick note on the Mustang amps. (I know, too late)
Like most new modeling amps, you need to update their firmware via the computer/download. Also, several of the factory models really suck, so replace the one's you don't like with either the thousands ofuser created patches in the Mustang site, or with your own.
I should check out some of the user patches. Any you've found that you are particularly fond of? I'm not sure why they included some of the built-in models as a preset, most notably the Supersonic. Blech.

stingx
July 11th, 2011, 01:38 PM
I really liked the Mustang III but I suppose I'm an incorrigible tube amp freak at heart. The Laney really made a huge impression on my jaded self :) In fact, I am debating on selling my Classic 30 and replacing it with a Lionheart L20T. This just brings a tear to my eye (and this is the 5W version!)...

5e_4NVoZp1U

stingx
July 11th, 2011, 01:46 PM
Back to topic regarding the Laney Cub 12R. This initially whet my appetite for the amp! Again, dollar for dollar nothing touches this amp in it's price range.

PcgSDHQqtj4

Katastrophe
July 11th, 2011, 04:20 PM
Great playing as always, StingX. That amph sounds killer!