PDA

View Full Version : R_of_G - Check it out! (kinda wacky music collaboration content)

Katastrophe
July 10th, 2011, 03:21 PM
Saw on the front page of the forum a link to Music Radar where they did a review of Jeff Bridges' new album...

Why would you be interested in an album by Jeff Bridges???? Because Ribot is playing guitar on it! T-Bone Burnett is producing, and there are other guests as well.

I'm real interested in your take on this.

R_of_G
July 10th, 2011, 03:27 PM
I remember reading about that, forgot when it was coming out.
The recent spate of Burnett/Ribot albums have all sounded great musically so I'm sure this one will be no different.
If Bridges can carry the tunes then it could be quite enjoyable.
As an actor he's one of my favorites so I'm willing to give it a shot.
Thanks for reminding me about it.

tunghaichuan
July 10th, 2011, 04:17 PM
I remember reading about that, forgot when it was coming out.
The recent spate of Burnett/Ribot albums have all sounded great musically so I'm sure this one will be no different.
If Bridges can carry the tunes then it could be quite enjoyable.
As an actor he's one of my favorites so I'm willing to give it a shot.
Thanks for reminding me about it.

Kind of off topic, but:

Jeff Bridges was great in Crazy Heart, about a self-destructive C&W singer/guitar player. IIRC, he did all of his own singing and guitar playing and did a very credible job. I believe he has been singing and playing guitar for quite a while.

I bet this is a great collaboration. He sure has good taste in musicians.

R_of_G
July 11th, 2011, 07:05 AM
Kind of off topic, but:

Jeff Bridges was great in Crazy Heart, about a self-destructive C&W singer/guitar player. IIRC, he did all of his own singing and guitar playing and did a very credible job. I believe he has been singing and playing guitar for quite a while.

I bet this is a great collaboration. He sure has good taste in musicians.

Not off topic at all because it's my understanding that it was that role which made Bridges decide to pursue this musical project.

sunvalleylaw
July 11th, 2011, 11:36 PM
i'd check it out. Jeff's character in Crazy Heart did not play my style of music, but he did a good job, and I would interested to see how the collaboration worked.

Lev
July 12th, 2011, 04:08 AM
Detailed review of the record here: http://www.musicradar.com/news/guitars/jeff-bridges-self-titled-album-track-by-track-review-474706/1

R_of_G
July 12th, 2011, 06:43 AM
Thanks for that Lev.
Sounds pretty much like what I'd expect from a Burnett/Ribot album.
Looking forward to this one.

Katastrophe
July 12th, 2011, 07:33 AM
It seems that I don't have the ability to embed YouTube vids anymore...

Here's Ryan Bingham singing "The Weary Kind" from Crazy Heart:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=soGNAEg1zps

Here's the Bridges version:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8monRJzzvU

I thought he did an admirable job. I think that Burnett and Ribot as well will tailor the tunes to Bridges' style / voice well.

R_of_G
July 12th, 2011, 07:42 AM
Here are the vids Kat wanted to embed...

soGNAEg1zps

z8monRJzzvU

I agree with your take on it Kat.
Burnett's arrangement will suit Bridges' style.