PDA

View Full Version : Replacement car remotes?

Eric
July 11th, 2011, 12:27 PM
So the car remote/clicker thingy for my 1997 Subaru Legacy Outback is dying. It takes forever to get it to unlock the car now, and I'm afraid of it stopping altogether. We have one other remote, but I don't really think that one works either.

I'm going to contact Subaru to see what they recommend, but does anyone have any good options for replacement remotes for cars? It seems like there are all too many options out there, and I'm afraid that most of them are scams. I thought it would be worth a try to check with all of you first.

EDIT: Should you feel the need to ask, yes I've replaced the battery in it. Multiple times, to the point where I think I've eliminated that as a reason for its failure.

Tig
July 11th, 2011, 12:39 PM
Most replacement keys cost quite a bit. I don't have the latest figures. Then again, it could have other problems on the receiving end being 14 years old.

By no means am I trying to be a smart a** (for once) but the good ol' manual key inserted into the doors or trunk still work, right? My wife's 2 year old Honda is the first vehicle we've owned that has remote locks!

Eric
July 11th, 2011, 12:47 PM
By no means am I trying to be a smart a** (for once) but the good ol' manual key inserted into the doors or trunk still work, right? My wife's 2 year old Honda is the first vehicle we've owned that has remote locks!
Actually, no. I probably would have gone down that route already if it was an option. It requires a different key, and as of now using it will get you into the car, but attempting to start the car will then result in the alarm sounding and the car not starting. That can only be disabled with...you guessed it...the remote. For that reason, I usually don't even bother to carry the extra key on my normal keychain.

However, in my reading on this topic, it seems like that whole thing is an option that can possibly be disabled, so I'm going to try that and some other solutions tonight.

Bookkeeper's Son
July 11th, 2011, 02:01 PM
You stated that you think the other remote doesn't work, too. Makes me wonder if the problem isn't in the car, and not the remote.

hubberjub
July 11th, 2011, 05:46 PM
I always just go on Ebay and grab a used one in good working condition. The dealer quoted me an obscene amount of money for a new fob for my Saab. I grabbed a used one off Ebay for $30 bucks and had the dealer program it for me. I don't remember what they charged. I think I just saw one of the service guys and offered him ten bucks if he'd do it. It took all of five minutes and has worked perfectly since. It's most likely just the battery in the remote you're having an issue with. The thing is 14 years old.

Eric
July 11th, 2011, 05:47 PM
You stated that you think the other remote doesn't work, too. Makes me wonder if the problem isn't in the car, and not the remote.
Well, the second remote never worked (I confirmed that tonight). The one I typically use has been getting progressively worse. You could still be right of course, but the progression of it made me initially think it was on the remote end.

ZMAN
July 11th, 2011, 06:00 PM
I bought a 2010 Equinox and they now sell a package that covers electronics and remote key fobs. When they told me the number I was shocked. I said no way I would pay that so I could get a 100 dollar key fob replaced. The salesman laughed and said well make sure you don't lose these, because they are about 350 each. Mine has the key built in like a switchblade. My soninlaw bought a car that only had one remote. He went on line and got another one for 35 bucks. I think that would be the way to go.

Eric
July 11th, 2011, 06:18 PM
Thanks for the input, everyone. I just found an interim solution, possibly for the remaining life of the car: it turns out that remote #2 wasn't programmed for the car. All the new ones I could have bought made mention of being programmed and coming with instructions on how to do it, so I tried the instructions I found here:

http://www.cars101.com/subaru/keyless.html#code%20alarm

It didn't take at first, but the second time it did, so now I have another remote to use. It's in better condition than the first one, so I think it will last for a while. If that one dies, it looks like there are some others that you can buy online as replacements. Since I now know how to program it, that seems like a viable option.

otaypanky
July 11th, 2011, 07:08 PM
I wonder if the mechanism inside the door would benefit from a bit of lubricant? Often it's a system of long metal rods and levers, sometimes riding in plastic clips. A squirt of WD40 at the contact points and pivots might work wonders

Spudman
July 11th, 2011, 08:34 PM
I always just go on Ebay and grab a used one in good working condition. The dealer quoted me an obscene amount of money for a new fob for my Saab. I grabbed a used one off Ebay for $30 bucks and had the dealer program it for me. I don't remember what they charged. I think I just saw one of the service guys and offered him ten bucks if he'd do it. It took all of five minutes and has worked perfectly since. It's most likely just the battery in the remote you're having an issue with. The thing is 14 years old.

This is what I've done too. I got 2 remotes for my Venture and neither cost more than $18. I put in fresh batteries and I'm a happy camper. You can often find the programming procedures online too. Screw the dealers. They are really taking advantage of people with their remote scams.

What often happens in the remote is that the contact becomes worn and/or dirty and quits making a quick solid connection. That's why you are seeing a delay with the fresh battery.