PDA

View Full Version : Rabid Rodent Destroys Vintage pedal in showdown.

sunvalleylaw
July 11th, 2011, 10:51 PM
I had a chance to play through my first vintage pedal, an 80's or 90's MXR Distortion+. Old enough not to have a plug. I borrowed it from my buddy I played with this spring since I had seen it laying around at his house not hooked up to anything and wanted to try it. It has a nice enough sound. Less harsh than my stock DS-1, and just a good old rock distortion. But my Rabid Rodent destroyed it! With very little fiddling, I dialed in a very similar tone on Mutate position 1 (after trying the others) and adjusting the level of distortion and filter to fit. But the MXR had very little range in its pots (two only, volume and distortion). The Rabid Rodent has so much more range just set up on that one Mutate option, much less considering all the others. In short, it CRUSHED it. Once in a while I will see a new distortion and thing I need to try it, but I seriously doubt there are many that the Rabid Rodent can't dial in. Any of you guys who were thinking about filling one of DVM's build slots should do it now. And I suggest the Rodent. The ZYS Mk. II is a killer overdrive that I really am glad to have, but if you can have only one DVM pedal, I say get this one. :AOK (of course getting both would be ideal. See second vid.)

I have no connection with Bob (DVM) or his company, but just think guys should check these out. Very worth his reasonable prices.

PS: Since any further demo by me would suck, I am linking two vids by Robert (Dolphinstreet) that show what the Rodent can do.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mcEvmA7C3I
This one is the Rabid Rodent only through a Gem by Mack amps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KarUoHyKiMo
This one is both the Rodent and the ZYS tubescreamer through a Marshall.

Ch0jin
July 12th, 2011, 12:13 AM
Love the title! Further proof of just how much the term "Vintage" has been perverted into a money-making marketing catch phrase for anything more than a couple of years old.

I know it's unrelated, but I've been trying to buy a 1/4" spanner for a few days now (to adjust the truss rod on my Matons) and have had to resort to eBay to source one, and low and behold, MOST of the results returned from a search of '1/4" Spanner' had "Vintage" in the title. A vintage spanner.....yeah.....

Back to topic... I'm pretty sure DVM, like myself runs a "Mojo Free" workshop so it's especially nice to hear of tests like these.