PDA

View Full Version : Steel Guitar Rag........a tribute

Teleman77
July 12th, 2011, 07:10 AM
This was recorded at a memorial jam for my old friend and the man who taught me how to play the guitar. The recording isn't the best, it was done with a camera phone.............I hope you enjoy it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEM1hEuHD3E

Katastrophe
July 12th, 2011, 07:37 AM
Holy cow, man, you were rippin'!

It's a fitting tribute. The man who taught you would be proud.

Makes me wish I had a Tele, and learned to play in that style.

Teleman77
July 12th, 2011, 12:01 PM
Well, thank you sir.........you're too kind.

helliott
July 12th, 2011, 03:15 PM
Hot playing, bro! I was wishing for better recording just to enjoy your gettin it on in that tune. Sounded like some Albert Lee influences in there along with your mentor, who I agree would be proud. Got some more stuff better recorded to share with us? What was your rig? And were you all flat picking, combo, fingerpicks or what? I can play just a little in this style, but couldn't touch your competence. Please share more when you can.

:applause:applause:applause:applause:applause:appl ause:applause

Teleman77
July 12th, 2011, 08:34 PM
Well, where do I begin............

Yes, you heard some Albert Lee, Ray Flacke, Danny Gatton, Morgan Stogdill and a few other I suppose. I try to take what I can from the masters and everybody else really and incorporate it into this thing I call a style. I really just enjoy picking and also, just as my teacher taught me, I try to pass on whatever I can too anyone that wants a piece of it..........It needs to be done. Imitation is the best form of flattery, so in that respect, we ALL steal things that we can do from those we look up to.
To answer your question about my picking style, I use the hybrid system.........a pick and two fingers, and for speed picking, I just flat pick.
My rig was really quite simple for this jam........an older Fender Champ 25SE and my old Tele. I used no effects what so ever. I've always been of the mind that with a decent tube amp and a Tele, you can do what you need to for the most part. Now in my stage rig, effects are involved.....but not much. I use an old Vox Tonelab SEII floor unit. It isn't the fanciest or most boutique unit you can buy, but who really needs that? I will post some higher quality stuff when I get time, and thank you again for your kind words.

Reuben Adkins........Lincoln, Nebraska

piebaldpython
July 13th, 2011, 03:54 PM
Yea, that was some mighty fine pickin'. Of course, being a lap steeler myself mostly, I've heard that tune many a time. Good stuff.

Teleman77
July 13th, 2011, 07:44 PM
Thanks again!

jpfeifer
July 14th, 2011, 09:48 PM
Teleman,

That was great playing, I really enjoyed it! The Tele sounds great and you were doing some cool licks over these changes in this tune. I thought I could hear some Albert Lee stuff in there. He's one of my favorites.
Great stuff!

--Jim