PDA

View Full Version : Cool new clean boost kit from BYOC....

duhvoodooman
July 15th, 2011, 07:53 AM
Here's one that a lot of players have been waiting for--BYOC's new FET PreAmp (http://www.buildyourownclone.com/fetpreamp.html), a clone of the legendary and long-since discontinued Boss FA-1 FET Amplifier made famous by The Edge of U2. Some comments from the product page, describing this new kit:

"The BYOC FET PreAmp is more than just a necessity for someone in a U2 cover band. This is one of the most amazing boosts and tone shaping tools you'll ever use. Even with 26dB of gain, the tone is extremely clean with a very crisp and snappy pick attack that will make your tube amp break up very easily. The 2-band Baxandall based EQ is extremely versatile. Not only can it boost & cut treble and bass, but it can cut mids by simultaneously turning up the treble and bass. And it can boost mids by simultaneously cutting treble and bass to make your guitar tone standout from the rest of the mix. But at the same time, it can remain entirely transparent if you just keep the knobs at noon. The BYOC FET PreAmp is an amazing tone tool that every player should have. It's a very easy build and only costs a fraction of the original."

A couple of years back, Retro Sonic brought out a circuit clone of the FA-1 boost that has received a lot of favorable press. It sells for $179. Save yourself a C-note and pick up the BYOC kit for $80!

Here's a YouTube clip of the original Boss pedal in action:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwtWvNuk2bE

Tig
July 15th, 2011, 08:11 AM
That might be a cool effect to build.
I see they will have a new switch box coming out soon, which is something most of us could use.

duhvoodooman
July 28th, 2011, 11:32 AM
I received one of these new FET Preamp kits and built it last weekend. Gotta tell you, I don't see it ever coming out of my pedal chain! Man, does this thing sound great for punching up clean tones. I'm running both the bass & treble controls up around 1:30 or so (12 noon is "flat" on the EQ), to scoop the mids just a bit and add some extra bass thump and high-end sparkle. I thought that a Strat into my Rubin Rocket amp was the best clean tone I'd ever heard, but this makes it sound even better. Just an amazing clean boost with a very effective EQ stage. Highly recommended!

marnold
July 28th, 2011, 12:02 PM
How does it compare to a MOSFET-equipped OD2's boost section, beyond the fact that it has tone controls?

Eric
July 28th, 2011, 12:31 PM
Maybe you can market it as a BYOC Klon...

Tig
July 28th, 2011, 02:10 PM
Now you did it... GAS building!
For $79, this is tempting.

duhvoodooman
July 29th, 2011, 05:36 AM
How does it compare to a MOSFET-equipped OD2's boost section, beyond the fact that it has tone controls?Where the MOSFET boost provides a nice overall boost with an emphasis on the treble end, this pedal gives a much bigger sound across the the entire frequency spectrum. And that Baxandall-style EQ stage is a huge addition in the way it let's you shape the output sound. Plus it has w-a-a-a-a-y more available boost on tap. I have yet to run mine past about 10:30, so if you really want to slam the front-end of an amp, this will do it, in spades.