PDA

View Full Version : Julember

NWBasser
July 18th, 2011, 01:38 PM
I took the family out camping this last weekend on the "dry" eastern side of our mountains trying to escape the gloom and wet. It rained most of Saturday and the mosquitoes drove us off the mt. bike trails on Sunday.:mad

Following the coldest and wettest spring on record, it's rained for most of July so far and the forecast calls for more.... and more. We had about a week of sun this month.

It seems that the typical East Pacific High that gives us sunny and warm summers has not established itself this year and we will have much rain occasionally puncuated by a dry day or two.

Troughs spinning out of the Gulf of Alaska have dominated our weather pattern so far and it seems fairly set to continue. Our furnace has been running quite a bit too with temps about 10 deg. below normal which is a continued pattern from spring.

So, those baking in the central parts of the country are welcome to come out and enjoy some cool and wet weather here.

Eric
July 18th, 2011, 03:47 PM
Thanks for the offer! It's been quite hot here. I think it was 93 or so today, and is supposed to be 97 by Friday. Yuck. I guess we can commiserate if nothing else.

Spudman
July 18th, 2011, 04:27 PM
We've had a milder than usual summer so far too but now we must be right on the edge of the system that is keeping the middle of the country hot and you still wet. Low 90s and upper 80s spell 'perfect' in my summer dictionary. I love the heat so I'm not heading west yet to cool down but thanks for the offer. :D

Bookkeeper's Son
July 18th, 2011, 04:33 PM
Fer sure, the weather here in the Great Northwet has been horrible this year. I had been bragging about our perfect July/August weather to some friends from back east, but I'm gonna have to swallow my words......

NWBasser
July 18th, 2011, 05:43 PM
Fer sure, the weather here in the Great Northwet has been horrible this year. I had been bragging about our perfect July/August weather to some friends from back east, but I'm gonna have to swallow my words......

Where are you Bookkeeper?

My brother says it's been pretty decent around Salem. He seems to be south of the crap we're getting.

NWBasser
July 18th, 2011, 05:45 PM
We've had a milder than usual summer so far too but now we must be right on the edge of the system that is keeping the middle of the country hot and you still wet. Low 90s and upper 80s spell 'perfect' in my summer dictionary. I love the heat so I'm not heading west yet to cool down but thanks for the offer. :D

Got a spare bedroom Spud?

I should grab my bike and head your way.

Trails are all muddy around here.

Bookkeeper's Son
July 18th, 2011, 06:23 PM
@NWBasser - Corvallis. We've had rain the past several days. Maybe it's worse north of here, but crappy here, nonetheless.

Spudman
July 18th, 2011, 07:13 PM
Got a spare bedroom Spud?

I should grab my bike and head your way.

Trails are all muddy around here.

Aye, I do have a spare. The trails here are now loose and powdery and the grass and weeds are so tall you can't see the trail. Less than gonzo riding now abounds. However, late September and early October are a good choice. If you can't hold out that long the trails in Sun Valley are really good right now.

bcdon
July 18th, 2011, 08:31 PM
I'll take this cool Pacific Northwest summer over what the rest of North America is getting. It actually cleared
up this afternoon and I think we even hit close to 70F!

FrankenFretter
July 19th, 2011, 07:02 AM
As Bookkeeper's Son said, we've had some rain here lately, but I don't think our July has been as bad as western Washington. The temps are pretty mild, in the 70's, but it's still warm and humid enough to make me sweat while at work. I'm actually thankful for the milder weather, simply because when it's a normal summer, I spend way too much time bemoaning the heat when I'm working outside (or in an attic). It figures that now that I finally have air conditioning in my music room, I hardly need it. ;)

guitarhack
July 19th, 2011, 08:37 AM
The heat is here and heading eastward. We'll be in the 90s with heat indices in the the 105 to 110 degree range over the next few days. Thank goodness for air-conditioning!

NWBasser
July 19th, 2011, 10:18 AM
As Bookkeeper's Son said, we've had some rain here lately, but I don't think our July has been as bad as western Washington. The temps are pretty mild, in the 70's, but it's still warm and humid enough to make me sweat while at work. I'm actually thankful for the milder weather, simply because when it's a normal summer, I spend way too much time bemoaning the heat when I'm working outside (or in an attic). It figures that now that I finally have air conditioning in my music room, I hardly need it. ;)

Huh, you've got A/C up there now?

I just spent some big $$ to get the AC fixed on my car and have hardly used it at all. Highs in the lower 60s this week.

On another tangent, maybe Bookkeeper's Son would like to jam with us next time I bring a bass down there?

NWBasser
July 19th, 2011, 10:22 AM
Aye, I do have a spare. The trails here are now loose and powdery and the grass and weeds are so tall you can't see the trail. Less than gonzo riding now abounds. However, late September and early October are a good choice. If you can't hold out that long the trails in Sun Valley are really good right now.

He he, maybe I'll crash at Steve's then.:zzz

Now, onto reality.

We'll likely be hitting Bend next month on our way back from vacation in NorCal. I'm thinking the mellow grade of the trails there will be fun for my 7-year old son to ride.

NWBasser
July 22nd, 2011, 12:57 PM
I was working in the field this morning and it was rather cold.

I can't wait to get out of this area for some sun and warm!

FrankenFretter
July 22nd, 2011, 02:19 PM
Low 70s here in Monmouth today. Some clouds, but pretty nice overall. It's a good day to "git on yer bikes and RIDE"!

Eric
July 22nd, 2011, 02:24 PM
It's a good day to "git on yer bikes and RIDE"!
Just imagine if there were a bunch of fat-bottomed girls doing a bicycle race...

Tig
July 22nd, 2011, 03:00 PM
Same heat as always here. I got a few inches of rain over the last 2 weeks, but we're still in the worst drought in almost 80 years.

As long as the AC is working, I don't mind! :cool: