PDA

View Full Version : Looks like Gibson is stealing pictures again...

FrankenFretter
July 19th, 2011, 08:34 PM
Those of us who've been around at least a couple years will remember the post about Gibson stealing the boss's pedalboard photo to use in one of their e-articles. Well, it looks like they're still stealing pictures. If you look here (http://www.gibson.com/en-us/Lifestyle/Features/finishes-0716-2011/), the second guitar down, the one with the rootbeer finish, is an Agile, taken directly from the Rondo website (http://www.rondomusic.com/product767.html). It seems that they're trying to use the Agile as an example of "bad" finishes. Still, they seem to be paying attention to the little guy; watch out Gibson...Rondo is gunning for ya!

http://www.rondomusic.com/photos/electric/al3000rootbeerspotter5.jpg

Eric
July 20th, 2011, 04:20 AM
Wow. You should email Kurt from Rondo about that -- I bet he'd be interested.

Katastrophe
July 20th, 2011, 06:45 AM
Of course, Epiphone uses the thicker finish on it's Les Pauls, and they're marketed as a "real" Les Paul. AND, they seem to want to avoid the dollar for dollar comparison between Epi and Agile, preferring to compare a $3,000 Gibson to a $400 Agile.

Really, Gibby, really?

FrankenFretter
July 20th, 2011, 06:58 AM
Wow. You should email Kurt from Rondo about that -- I bet he'd be interested.

Someone did. Here's the comment he left on the article:

Thank you Gibson for promoting our products. However I think you really should ask permission to use our stock photos in the future. :)

Kurt Zentmaier
Agile Guitars

It may not be him, but I do know that he's been made aware of the photo. If the big G is just trying to use the poly vs. nitro argument to try and elevate their products above the competitors, I'm not buying into that. I think the finish has very, very little to do with the tone of an electric through an amph. In an acoustic, I'd probably concur.

Eric
July 20th, 2011, 07:10 AM
It may not be him, but I do know that he's been made aware of the photo. If the big G is just trying to use the poly vs. nitro argument to try and elevate their products above the competitors, I'm not buying into that. I think the finish has very, very little to do with the tone of an electric through an amph. In an acoustic, I'd probably concur.
Yeah, I don't know. I've never owned a poly guitar or anything made by Gibson, so I guess I'm not in a position to say.

I have done a little reading on Henry J. since Jimi posted that link to him "playing" the Firebird X. He seems like a smart guy who has basically made Gibson profitable again, but he's also a tool. It seems like he's to the point where he's trying hard to preserve his power and exert control, rather than to run a company well and make a good profit. At this point most of the argument for Gibson is based on history and "mojo." I mean, they still supposedly make good guitars (again, I wouldn't know), but I'm not sure if people would buy them at their prices if it wasn't for the name.

I just think that if I couldn't play a lick on the guitar, I probably wouldn't be seen posing with guitars all of the time. To me, that posturing is kind of representative of a few things that I question.

Tig
July 20th, 2011, 08:24 AM
If the big G is just trying to use the poly vs. nitro argument to try and elevate their products above the competitors, I'm not buying into that. I think the finish has very, very little to do with the tone of an electric through an amph. In an acoustic, I'd probably concur.

+1
Sounds like hyperbole BS.

Monkus
July 20th, 2011, 09:34 AM
how hard is it really to take a pic?

Really, Gibby, really?

+1

Commodore 64
July 20th, 2011, 10:12 AM
Probably makes some difference on an acoustic.

Complete and utter nonsense on an electric (IMHO, of course). What a load of crap. I'd take a beat up Michael Kelly over any Gibson available today.

FrankenFretter
July 20th, 2011, 02:43 PM
They've taken the photo down already. That was quick! They also deleted a lot of the Agile comments. The whole tone of this article seems so elitist, but also seems almost a bit desperate. Why can't they just focus more on QC and making their products more affordable? Oh wait, if they were affordable then we wouldn't want them. If it's expensive, it must be good! And everyone knows that a nitro finish will make you sound 40% better than the guy with the $400 non-Gibson. Studies prove it. ;)

kiteman
July 25th, 2011, 07:48 PM
Funny every time I hear Henry J I think of a car. :)

NWBasser
July 26th, 2011, 09:55 AM
They've taken the photo down already. That was quick! They also deleted a lot of the Agile comments. The whole tone of this article seems so elitist, but also seems almost a bit desperate. Why can't they just focus more on QC and making their products more affordable? Oh wait, if they were affordable then we wouldn't want them. If it's expensive, it must be good! And everyone knows that a nitro finish will make you sound 40% better than the guy with the $400 non-Gibson. Studies prove it. ;)

Actually, with models like the Tribute and the JB sig., they are taking steps to more affordable guitars. Quality may be a question, but they are offering models that are relatively closer in price to the offshore brands.