PDA

View Full Version : Blow up the Outside world From an Emajor chord to C major (questions)

JimBlues
July 24th, 2011, 08:42 AM
Hello, I'm new to this site (googled guitar discussion and found this place). I have a question about the chord changes in the Soundgarden song, Blow Up the Outside World. The main chord change is from an E to a C. I've been trying to figure out how you could play solo's over this for a while now. I was also wondering why these two chords sound so good together. It seems to be something out of any normal major scale (I'm still learning theory so I'm not sure).

Thanks for your time.

Eric
July 24th, 2011, 10:20 AM
That's an interesting question. I'd be interested to know the answer to that too. From messing around with it right now, it seems to work if you play in D over it, and F# seems to be the tonal center for a lot of it, with the 4th being sharped in the chorus. That doesn't make it any more clear to me, so I'm hoping one of the theory-heads will pop in and see if they can make sense of it. Right now my unofficial guess is that the song is in F# phrygian.